Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Dexron II

is this the same as type f ATF? ive been to every autoparts store in denton and none of them have "DEXRON II" ATF
this is for the PS. Haynes recommends i use DEXRONN II, is DEXRON III about the same weight?

Old 11-18-2003, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I'm off the hook.....

I am pretty sure type F is different from Dexron. Ask a ford dealer. Then ask a GM dealer.

In fact, type F(ord) is for Ford products, and sometimes is called for in power steering pumps.

Dexron is a GM trademarked product as I remember.

Whatever you're looking for will be cross-referenced on a number of sites.

I believe your question was "Are they different?"

Yes. they are.

Last edited by singpilot; 11-18-2003 at 02:06 PM..
Old 11-18-2003, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Check the bottles. I found at least one brand the states 'Meets DEXRON II & DEXRON III Specs'

Don't use the F stuff. It may do nasty things to yours seals resulting in a need for a rebuilt pump and streeing rack.

Nigel
Old 11-18-2003, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Everything you wanted to know about ATF fluids and more.

Dextron II (GM spec) is NOT interchangeable with F (Ford spec). Dextron is made from the finest crushed cockroaches whereas F is made from Ferret's pee. Dextron III is okay to use instead of Dextron II - it's an upgrade using much plumper and younger cockroaches.

I suppose you'll be wanting more convincing facts ...

GM, Ford, Chrysler Automatic Transmission Fluids

Automatic transmission fluids (ATFs) are the most complex lubricants in the petroleum industry. Containing as many as 15 components, ATFs represent a careful balance of properties needed to meet the unique requirements of automatic transmissions. In terms of viscosity, they may be described as SAE 5W-20 grade oils with exceptionally good low temperature properties. They contain some of the same types of additives used in engine oils, together withfurther material to provide special frictional properties and improved oxidation resistance. Because of their excellent low temperature fluidity and antiwear properties, automatic transmission fluids often find use as hydraulic fluids in industrial equipment and air compressors.

These fluids perform five basic functions:
Transmit hydrodynamic energy in the torque converter.
Transmit hydrostatic energy in hydraulic logic control circuits and servomechanisms.
Lubricate shaft bearings, thrust bearings, and gears.
Transmit sliding friction energy in bands and clutches.
Act as a heat transfer medium controlling automatic transmission operating temperatures.

What kind of automatic transmission fluid should you use in your transmission?
THE TYPE SPECIFIED IN YOUR OWNER S MANUAL OR PRINTED ON THE TRANSMISSION DIPSTICK!
CAUTION: Using the wrong type of fluid can affect the way the transmission shifts and feels. Using Type F fluid in an application that calls for Dexron III may make the transmission shift too harshly. Using Dexron III in a transmission that requires Type F may allow the transmission to slip under heavy load, which can accelerate clutch wear. ATF+3 (7176) allows more slippage than other friction-modified fluids.

GM
Dexron III is the fourth in the Dexron series of GM transmission fluids. The original Dexron blend was released in 1967. It was succeeded in 1973 by Dexron II, which offered customers double the oxidation stability. Dexron IIE, which improved upon the oil base of Dexron II, was introduced in 1990. GM upgraded IIE to Dexron III"F" in 1994 for new electronic transmissions introduced in 1992-3. In 1996, GM powertrain introduced electronically controlled converter clutches (ECCC). They were used in limited production of 3,000 vehicles per day in 1997 and in all GM automatic transmission platforms in 1998. Unfortunately the aftermarket Dexron-III specification ("F" level) did not incorporate a test to evaluate fluid performance with the ECCC system. The initial test GM vehicle for the ECCC system was 1997 Buick Rivera with a 3800 supercharged engine, and 4T65-E transmission.

GM has now developed and requires an upgrade Dexron-III specification ("G" level) to meet the requirements of the ECCC system. GM has factory-filled all their transmissions with this "G" level fluid since 1997. GM's new "G" level replaces and supercedes all previous Dexron-III levels ("F", "E", Dexron-II, Dexron etc.). Dexron-III "G" is required for all ECCC GM systems. GM move to Dexron IV for the future has been put on hold.

Ford
Ford currently has three fluids in the market. Ford Type "F" M2C33F specification is required for automatic tranmssions prior to 1977 and select models from 1977 through 1980 models.

Ford Mercon required for select models beginning in 1978, and all models after 1981 using Dexron, M2C138CJ, and M2C166H specifications. Ford introduced their version with a new clutch as Continuously Slipping Torque Converter Clutch (CSTCC) in 1996. Fluids for this transmission are marketed under Mercon-V, meeting specification M2C202-B ("B" Fluid). M2C202-B factory-fill ATF started in Europe market in 1996 and North American beginning in 1997 with select models to their full platform by 1999.

FORD ATF FLUIDS ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE. Each fluid must be used in their proper application. Use of the incorrect fluid may result in improper shift-feel, chatter, and potentially early clutch failure.

Info gleaned from GOA.

http://www.goa-northcoastoil.com/tips/atffluids.html

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."

Last edited by Dark Skies; 11-19-2003 at 05:44 AM..
Old 11-19-2003, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

wow. thanks. how is it that you are so learned in the ways of ATF if you dont mind me asking?
Old 11-19-2003, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPants
wow. thanks. how is it that you are so learned in the ways of ATF if you dont mind me asking?
No worries.

I used to be a test driver for Esso's (Exxon) R&D fuel & lubricant dept. I still have a whole bunch of links to various lube related sites kicking around on CD's. That little lot came from GOA

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 11-19-2003, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPants
cut-and-paste
Old 11-19-2003, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Mercon is ford, too. I think
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

AHA! i knew you were a closet ford fan todwic!!
Old 11-20-2003, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
If I could find a ford engineer who's arse I could kick on a weekly basis, my life would be complete.
'86 951
Old 11-20-2003, 11:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by FR Wilk
What make you think Ford uses Engineers?
LOL
Old 11-21-2003, 12:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by FR Wilk
What make you think Ford uses Engineers?
touche

'86 951
Old 11-21-2003, 03:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: