Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
Question new p-car 4 me?

hey i was wondering how reliable the 924 is not the S that i have particually a 82. and how much would it be worth with light front end damage? im really in fear of snapping my t-belt and dont have the money to have someone do it and dont know anyone down here that could help me with it. so what im doing is looking for a cheap car i can buy to hold me over till i can save up for the cost to do mine.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
It's only $60 and a few hours to replace the belts.

Remember that a new too tight belt is better than an old brittle about to break belt.

Yes you don't need "the tool" when you have to have it done now.

Hint: Take off the covers (you have to take off the AC and PS belts) and deflect (press to the side) the longest run of belt(s) and remember where they seriously stop.

Match this with the new belts.

P.S. The Kriket belt tension tool is less than $20 and will get you closer.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 11-19-2003, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

y'know, that's a good point Hugh. with all the debate over whether the Krikit stands up to the factory tool, it's easy to forget that using the Krikit is definitely better than no tool at all. scheisty, they're available at NAPA for cheap. I got the KR1 and it cost me about $11.95
Old 11-19-2003, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
I don't think the 82 uses ANY factory tool for tensioning..... and even if it did it is not an interference engine.

This is the 2L block.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 11-19-2003, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I might be wrong, but I think he meant that he had the 88'924S with the belts, and was thinking to buy an 82 to avoid the belts in the 88.

Until last weekend, I'd never seen anyone do a belt job. Now that I have, I bet you could do it. Get some manuals, and have a digital camera to post pics of your progress or to get help with problems you encounter. I mean, even if it takes you 6 hours, the time it would take to buy the 82, get insurance, go to the stupid DMV to register it, etc. you'd have spent more time getting another car with its own headaches to avoid one. Everyone is right- the parts are very low cost. The hardest part appeared to be just the hassle of getting the junk out of the way. The only other part is making sure the crankshaft is lined up right (and tensioning). There's notches in the gears that you line up. People here will help you.

You can DO EEEEEEEEEEET!
Old 11-19-2003, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The original mechanics manual had no tensioner, the rule was to have the belt tight enough such that it would only be able to be twisted to a 90 degree angle. Suprisingly that checks out as a good starting point even if you are using the big boy tensioner.

Don't consider throwing away a perfectly good Porsche because you need belts! (Full ashtrays, or the back seats are finally unable to be seen through the stacked burger wrappers....well that may be a reason.)
98 C-4 Sons
86 Gold 944 Auto - Sons
84 Maroon 944 Auto - salvaged
78 Yellow 924 - found a new home
Old 11-19-2003, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Definitely don't ditch the 88 for the 82. The 82 is probably not worth much if anything with front end damage......

In regards to the 88, I guess if you do not have access to anything else the krikit will have to do. As a first timer I wouldnt go by feel or the 90 degree twist.

Once you have done it a few times you get the feel of what you are looking for as far as tension goes.....

Good luck
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 11-19-2003, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I know that Pellican in CA had a Porsche tensioner to loan, check your area to see if that's posible somewhere.
98 C-4 Sons
86 Gold 944 Auto - Sons
84 Maroon 944 Auto - salvaged
78 Yellow 924 - found a new home
Old 11-19-2003, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
thatnks for the support and advice guys. my biggest fear of tackling it myself would be messing something up. other that the tensioning tool what other tools would i need? i only have basic had tools at my disposal. if there are any other tools would i be able to rent them at say discount auto parts? ive been reading through haynes over and over tring to talk myself into it. is there anywhere online that has specific step by step instructions WITH pics? my main thought was that i could just get another CHEAP car to drive while im tring to figure out how to do everything the right way. id also like to replace the front main seal cause its leaking. basically i want to tackle everything thats there at once and think it might take more time than i have in one weekend.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: