Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

Poll: Are Porsches better than everything else on the road?
Poll Options
Are Porsches better than everything else on the road?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Are Porsches really superior to most cars?

Watching the idiots in my area TRY to negotiate their massive SUVs in the rain today, I came to two frustration-based conclusions:

1) Americans don't know how to drive
2) Most of the cars on the road are simply inferior to mine

NOW. It seems to me that most of the other cars on the road can't handle, can't brake, can't make emergency lane-changes, and if you do try to make an emergency lane-change while braking, they just flip over (i'm looking in the direction of Ford and Chevy SUVs). So, what do you think? Are our cars really better than all the other cars on the road?

Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 11-19-2003, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
No.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 11-19-2003, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
least common denominator

I own a 944 and a Hyundai,
The Hyundai kicks ass when it comes to comfort, if you need room for four adults, everything works great (stereo, A/C, all the electronics) and itís got that 10 year/10K miles warranty.
However, when itís paid for I will sell it and get another appliance car.
I will always have a Porsche in my garage next to my commuter car.
I think the reason most people donít appreciate Porsches is they donít drive hard enough to need the extra performance built into a Porsche. Joe average who just needs to get from point A to Point B is better off with a Honda or Toyota.

Not counting the posers who buy a Porsche just to be seen.
A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I'm off the hook.....

You need to consider in the cellphone factor.

Can't talk on the cellphone and shift the p-car at the same time.

The SUV's (Stupidly Useless Vehicles) CAN (and usually are) do that.

Leading to the Exploder / Rollover syndrome;

Is Nature weeding out the stupid.....
Old 11-19-2003, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

If I had the money ... I'd have to have a new Mercedes over a Porsche. Better value for money and harder wearing. If I were on drugs and really going to town on fantasy ... an DB7 Aston Martin. I feel dirty now.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 11-19-2003, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I think Porsche manufactures great cars. I have several MB's, one an AMG, a Ferrari, and a Porsche. The Ferrari is an 8 cylinder that I have owned for 16 years. It is a fun car, and I have had little trouble with it and tracked it for a number of years. I have also had little trouble with the 3 MB's I have and little troublle with the Porsche 951.

Here are my conclusions:

Porsche makes great sports cars.
My Ferrari puts a bigger smile on my face when I drive it even though it is not in the same speed league as my modified 951.
On a daily basis, the Porsche is superior to the Ferrari.
The MB's I own are great cars but they are older. The sedan is a 400E. It is wonderful. The AMG is an SLK32, a 2002. It is old technology and does not have some of the quality problems the new Benz cars are reputed to have. The third MB is a 23 year old 450SL. Good car but very slow.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 11-19-2003, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Red face

Im not sure. There are many cars out there that can give Our Porsches a run for there lives, Take the 350Z 287hp 6speed and handles and stops better then my 924S, Or look at the Subaru WRX Or the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo or the Toyota Celica GTS (180hp and a six speed and it handles good too). There are many prim examples of cars that Porsche can beat but there are also many many more that can kill our Porsches, Face it our POrsches and there technology are dated almost to the point where they can no longer hold there ground to the cheap sports cars of today
Old 11-19-2003, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to interglossa
I'd have to disagree about that MB's. They're generally overengineered (read: more parts to break), but they are comfortable. I'd rather have a porsche (old or new) compared to same year MB.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Mercedes and Porsche serve different purposes. One is a sports car; the other is not.

The quality issures began when Diamler Benz bought Chrysler. My next sedan might not be a Mercedes. But I don't know what I would buy. I had thought about a 500E to replace the 400E (which could easily be the best car I have ever owned), but I keep hearing about quality problems.

In all I have owned 5 Benzes. They have all been trouble free. The AMG only has 13K on it now so I really can't judge it so that leaves only 4 trouble free. The rest were just fine with way over 100K. But my 951 has way over 100K.

I like German cars.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 11-19-2003, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

Re: Are Porsches really superior to most cars?

Quote:
Originally posted by CJFusco
Watching the idiots in my area TRY to negotiate their massive SUVs in the rain today, I came to two frustration-based conclusions:

1) Americans don't know how to drive

I disagree.
Having driven a lot in many foreign countries (Canada, Mexico, Ecuador, France, UK, Switzerland, Sweden, Dominica, Singapore, and more) I can say that, without a doubt, americans are some of the better drivers out there. They still suck balls, but IMHO they're no worse than anybody else.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I (had) a 944 and I haven now a Chevy full size short bed regular cab 4X4 pickup (for work).

Build quality on the P-car is FAR superior to the chevy, much less of the plastic parts and cheesy clips. The truck has given me little trouble, but the overall quality and build construction is not nearly on par with the 944.

When I do need parts, and local parts store has a ton of them for the truck, they are penny's on the dollar.

I've had chevy trucks, for the most part, sense I started driving, and I've scared the s*$t out of very experienced drivers in my truck, sliding around corners at speed (truck has 33" tires BTW). BUT, I've been driving them for 10+ years, and put a LOT of miles on them. Nearly any vehicle can be a least somewhat capable in the right hands and in "controlled" conditions (a private dirt road you know well, or a deserted street in a snowstorm). But in the wrong ones, a large truck can (and many times is) deadly.

So yeah the truck CAN be capable (especially on dirt roads in the winter) but there is absolutley no comparison to the P-car on the road.

And in ANY type of emergency situation involving any other vehicle, or other vehicles around you, the P-car wins hands down in collision avoidance with superior braking, handeling and a MUCH more forgiving nature.

My .02 cents.

1985.5 944
Dodge Viper Blue on black/tan
white face gauges
throttle cam
short shift kit
Old 11-19-2003, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by fast924S
Im not sure. There are many cars out there that can give Our Porsches a run for there lives, Take the 350Z 287hp 6speed and handles and stops better then my 924S, Or look at the Subaru WRX Or the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo or the Toyota Celica GTS (180hp and a six speed and it handles good too). There are many prim examples of cars that Porsche can beat but there are also many many more that can kill our Porsches, Face it our POrsches and there technology are dated almost to the point where they can no longer hold there ground to the cheap sports cars of today
well id hope that 20 years later...other companies could produce some formidable competition. can you really think of a car that even touched the 951 in '86 and didnt cost 3x more?
Old 11-19-2003, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

the EVO's and any other dressed up grocery getter may out power a 944. but hell, you can NOS a minivan so it does an 11 second quarter. its still a mivivan. if you are ranking it by horsepower or whatever else then no it loses big time. but Porsche has never built cars so they could claim the best 0-60 or 1/4 mile times, they build well designed balanced sports cars plain and simple. also how many WRX's do you think will be running around after 20 years and close to 200k miles?
Old 11-19-2003, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Skies
If I had the money ... I'd have to have a new Mercedes over a Porsche. Better value for money and harder wearing. If I were on drugs and really going to town on fantasy ... an DB7 Aston Martin. I feel dirty now.
Okay pass the pipe... as long as we are in fantasyland... I'll take a gembela (sp) twin turbo and give you a run for your money!
DB7 is a better looking car IMHO but I bet the TT can rip it a new one.

Still don't know why some of you guy are always comparing the old 944 to modern sports cars.
A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Last edited by scottmandue; 11-19-2003 at 04:24 PM..
Old 11-19-2003, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

MrPants is absolutley correct - "how many WRX's do you think will be running around after 20 years and close to 200k miles?".

Up here in Vermont, where the roads are salted like mad, Subaru's usually last about 8 years or so before they are so rotted away they will not pass inspection.

A friend and I got into a discussion about how much Audi's cost, and the fact that a S4, at around $40K, is only a few more HP more than a WRX and $15K more. I told him to look around, there are plenty of old mid-80's audi's still around up here, but I have not seen an old DL or GL Subaru wagon in years. The oldest subaru you'll see is early/mid 90's.

Bottom line is, you get what you pay for and for a 4WD Turbo car to sell for under $25K new, you gotta cut corners somewhere.

1985.5 944
Dodge Viper Blue on black/tan
white face gauges
throttle cam
short shift kit
Old 11-19-2003, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by scottmandue

Still don't know why some of you guy are always comparing the old 944 to modern sports cars.
EXACTLY!!!! The 944 was ahead of its time in engineering & design. Compare your 44 to a 1984 Mustang or Camaro for example, (if you can find one that still runs).
However, modern sports have come a long way. They are lighter, faster, more economical, more dependable, safer, etc..etc... Its just not a fair comparison.
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 11-19-2003, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
nah, porsches suck
Old 11-19-2003, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MikeCT
1) I don't think I can compare Amercan drivers to drivers in other countries because I have never drove a car anywhere else. But I can say that Connecticut drivers are some of the worst.
2) As a daily driver the 944 is definatly superior to most other cars on the road but that would go for other sports cars as well.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull. - W. C. Fields
Old 11-19-2003, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

as the cars get bigger the road gets smaller. a small fast porsche can get you out of trouble in no time......my 924S is alittle over 5 feet wide....show me the side walk when in need..
Old 11-19-2003, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence Coppari
Mercedes and Porsche serve different purposes. One is a sports car; the other is not.

The quality issures began when Diamler Benz bought Chrysler. My next sedan might not be a Mercedes. But I don't know what I would buy. I had thought about a 500E to replace the 400E (which could easily be the best car I have ever owned), but I keep hearing about quality problems.

In all I have owned 5 Benzes. They have all been trouble free. The AMG only has 13K on it now so I really can't judge it so that leaves only 4 trouble free. The rest were just fine with way over 100K. But my 951 has way over 100K.

I like German cars.
Esso tested a fairly wide variety of Mercs on a 250,000 mile country / city / motorway route to check out various lubricants. The cars were driven virtually non-stop in 600 mile / shifts. All the Mercs performed faultlessly throughout - and lemme tell you we really caned them. Brilliant cars!!!

Mind you my Porker has done more than that, still doesn't smoke and starts first turn of the key. Shame the interior is so cheap given the marque.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 11-19-2003, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: