Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Pulling the motor, any suggestions?

Well, the motor is coming out of the 951 this weekend to be resealed/refreshed. Head will be ported and rings and bearings checked/replaced. Still unsure about which headgasket to use, and if a cam upgrade is feasible. Any suggestions on pulling the motor? Is it easier to pull it out the top, or drop it out the bottom? Anything specific I should watch out for in the process?
Thanks...

And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 11-19-2003, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes it's much easier out the bottom, the engine only just clears the drive shaft before it hits the front crossmember.
I put some plastic sheeting folded in half on the ground with a piece of carboard on top, drop the engine on this and it slides out like it's on ice.
If I can be of any other help, let me know and good luck.
Lance
Old 11-19-2003, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Wolf,

I would LOVE to see pics of that process if you could do it. You have my email or post them here. Kind of a morbid look into my old baby. And I have it on my calander to ship back the sway bar this weekend. Sorry I'm a slacker, money and time are a little low at the moment :P. Good look on the project.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
I took out my fans/radiator, took off the crank bolt and pulleys. took off the hood and skooped it out with a cherrypicker. easy as pie. be sure and mark your hood location on your hood arms tho. hood doesn't really align well once doffed.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Oh, I c U have it out already. NM.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Goku
Hey Wolf,

I would LOVE to see pics of that process if you could do it. You have my email or post them here. Kind of a morbid look into my old baby. And I have it on my calander to ship back the sway bar this weekend. Sorry I'm a slacker, money and time are a little low at the moment :P. Good look on the project.
Hey Goku, I will send or post some pics for you. Sounds great on the sway bar, let me know what it costs for shipping and I'll send you $$. Once the motor is out I will put the car into storage. I will have the engine at work on the stand which will be much easier than trying to do anything to it in the car. I will just feel better about cranking up the power if I know its all fresh inside..

Old 11-19-2003, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Hey wolf....

I am going out the top this weekend as well to do the same...... the whole car is stripped except wheels (no interior etc). I also pulled the tranny to swap in my new LSD and it helps in pulling from the top gives you more room for the bellhousing to clear, you can pull the torque tube back) .

- don't bother with cam upgrade.... No gain unless you are planning some serious modifications .......

- extra head work will not pay off. You can't port the exhaust side, if you are planning on running a very LARGE turbo, find an NA head and you can have it ported.... if you do that then you may need to do the intake (which would mean spliting the intake and having it ported and welding it back together)........then a larger exhaust manifold and on and on and on.......... It never really ends.

Good luck!

P.S lets try and find the best deal on parts.... email me
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 11-19-2003, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hey Alex, I am going to try and come out the top as well. I was wondering if the cam upgrade was worth it or not, glad too hear that its not.

As far as porting, I am just planning to clean up and smooth the intake, port configuration and volumn will stay the same. I will flow test before and after just for fun. I really want to make sure all the ceramic is in good shape in the exhaust ports before I strap a $$$ new turbo on. I'll make sure intake and exhaust manifolds are port matched as well.

Do you know if these motors are balanced close enough originally, or are they off by a few grams/ounces like most engines?

As far as mods, I am just planning on the Vitesse stage II. Maybe later down the road I will go farther, but I kinda want it to stay together for awhile..

Are the OEM rings better than aftermarket, or has the aftermarket improved the design/materials?

I'm sure it will be an adventure!!!!

Old 11-20-2003, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
I bought OEM rings from the dealer here ...........and guess what they are the same as the aftermarket I bought from another supplier.

The blocks are built incredibly well. You may want to consider having the crank lightened but thats about it. WHen you split it open you will be surprised at how well the block/bearings/pistons have held out....

Keep me updated.... we will be walking the same path.

Except I already have a Stage 2
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 11-20-2003, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

We dropped one out the bottom. Just like Mason suggested, slid it out on cardboard. Slick.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SidVicious
We dropped one out the bottom. Just like Mason suggested, slid it out on cardboard. Slick.
I must be spoiled!! when I drop engines out the bottom I support them with the transverse support, disconnect everything, lower the hoist down to rest the engine on our portable engine table, disconnect transverse bar, push the button on the hoist and lift the car up out of the way..

I think this ones coming out the top though.....

Old 11-20-2003, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yes -- out the bottom. Identify & tag all wiring and vacuum hoses as to where they go and how they get there.

Two main points. First, the wires to the alternator and the wires to the starter look remarkably the same and can be reversed installed by accident -- don't ask how I know. Also related: the engine will run like crap afterwards if the vacuum hoses are not routed correctly - again, don't ask but clearly understand where they all go before unhooking them.

Second, this operation may require removing the bracket that the flywheel sensors mount into. Resetting it is a very precise, delicate operation that if done wrong will let the flywheel teeth eat your expensive sensor. Be very, very careful to set the bracket so that the rearward sensor has exactly .040" clearance to the flywheel teeth including that little burr on the teeth where the starter engages. How do you set this specific clearance in a blind hole you might ask? Ah, that's the delicate part.

I strongly suggest that you first get a copy of the factory manual but the essence is that you get the car WAY high on secure jack stands, drain everything, unhook & then pull the main wiring harness out of the firewall and lay it on the engine, pull the radiator & oil cooler, remove the crossmember with steering gear, pull the exhaust, the starter, and a lot of other stuff ... you REALLY NEED the manual!

Greg Laws
Winfield, KS

1989 944 Turbo
w/usual enhancements
Street toy & HPCCC

1987 Renault GTA
SCCA Solo II class F/SP
Old 11-20-2003, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Well I have removed my engine from both the top and the bottom. If i were to do it again I would drop it out the bottom again. I found it much easier. If you do decide to take it out the top I strongly recomend removing the transmision and sliding the tourgue tube back, that little extra bit of room really makes things easier. Especailly when putting it back in.

1994 Grand Cherokee
6inch Lift, 33" TSL'S
Old 11-21-2003, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Well, the engine is out!!!! What a PITA. I was able to get it out the top, not easy but possible. I spent a fair amount of time trying to decide which looked easier, top or bottom. I removed the transmission to clean it and remove a broken bolt in the mount, slid the torque tube back. At this point I still hadn't decided which way to pull the motor. Dropping out the bottom looked okay, but it looked like if I removed the brake booster and master cylinder it would come right out the top. So I did and it did!!..

What an adventure....... and its just beginning..

Old 11-24-2003, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Everybody I've talked to that has done it both ways says out the bottom is much easier.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dantilla
Everybody I've talked to that has done it both ways says out the bottom is much easier.
took mine out the bottom, I loaned my manual out, anyone know the turbo support/engine mount support bolt torque, is it 32lbs?

Old 09-10-2004, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: