Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

groan - fuel pump?

After 20 minutes or so of driving, I start to hear a groan that seems to come from right rear. I can only hear it from inside the car. I am guessing fuel pump, but po changed that in Jan 2003. I just replaced the original fuel filter in case that was gunked up, but it didn't help.

The groaning doesn't stop once it begins (unless its sits overnight, say). Should the fuel pump be running all the time anyway after 20 minutes of running? I thought it was supposed to run intermittently to keep fuel pressure up.

Any ideas?

Old 11-21-2003, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Fuel pump runs all the time.

The fuel recirculates picking up heat from the engine.

Replace the fuel filter first before you think pump.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 11-21-2003, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

ok, so I changed out the fuel filter a few weeks back, but the groaning was unaffected. Lately, it seems loader. Is this definitely the fuel pump? Is it going to fail and leave me stranded? Remember, the pump is only one year old.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Yes I didn't read your first message very well.

Hydraulics will make noise when there is a restriction. Common to the under the body fuel lines is to have one piched closed by road fod. Look along the lengths of the two lines for bends and dings. If you are not loosing performance then check the return line more than the feed.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeah, I didn't read it very well either (forgot I mentioned the filter change...). I'll check those lines, maybe banged one with a jackstand, but I don't think so.

The noise does sound as though it could be fluidic (maybe even cavitation? what kind of pump is a fuel pump anyway?). But I could also convince myself that it's mechanical noise.

I'm also wondering about what you said about the fuel picking up heat from the engine. Could somehow explain why the noise takes a while to start.

Thanks again , Hugh.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Hot fuel will affect a fuel pump. Since the fuel recirc's it's possible to heat up a low tank. You need to park it when it's making the noise and check behind the passenger wheel for it's actual location.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I really can only here it when inside the car (too noisy outside with the car running). I'll try a little harder before I start inspecting the lines.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The fuel pump on my 81 924 is loud. From what I can tell it was designed that way. Since I have never owned a 944 I cant coment on your groan.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
If the noise is coming from the back inside then it could be the gas tank venting.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

...some thread maintenence -

Solution - Fuel Pressure Regulator. Fuel pressure was pegged >100psi, once replaced, reads nominal and groaning in the fuel pump is gone. Drove it 6 hours today (instead of my usual 1 hour), so I'm reasonably sure.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the feed back.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
You drove for 6 hours today? Holy crap, did you just take a lap around CT??

Glad you got your problem resolved
Old 02-15-2005, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Boston and back.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Oh, and MPG went from 22 to 25. And warm start doesn't require 5 cranks or so like it used to (the fuel pressure leakdown went from dropping from >100psi to below spec in <1 minute to essentially holding pressure forever).

Old 02-16-2005, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: