Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

stuck chain tensioner

ok - started my chain tensioner replacement this morning, and when I push down on the chain to compress the tensioner for removal, it will not budge. Solid as a rock. Any way to un-stick it?

If my only option is to take a cam shaft out to loosen the chain, I might just take it to a shop. So, if I button it back up until I can get it there, is it risky to run in this stuck condition? The pad has very little wear (at 83K miles), and no cracks. I gave it few good tugs, and it didn't seem brittle. Chain looks like new and is taught.

Cheers.

Old 11-22-2003, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I don't know alot about the chain tensioner on the S , but I do know that they are hydrolic, so when the oil presser is developed in the engine it will expand the tensoner. What I would do is crank the engine with the fuel( pump ) DME relay removed. When the oil pressure comes up, stop and check the tensioner. I would not drive the car with a colapesed tensioner. You could distroy the head and a piston. I have a parked S that needs a rebuild and I won't chance starting it until I can start the rebuild. Good luck
1987 944 NA 5 Speed Stone Grey
1987 944 S 5 Speed Triple Black
Old 11-23-2003, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks, Terry.

Actually, it's stuck in the up (taught) position, so I can't get it out without slackening the chain.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to asudds
Try letting the system bleed down overnight. Do not take out the cams unless you have to!!! If you do make the position of the adjustments on the cam gear. Release oil pressure by removing the oil fed tube, next compress the spring, tHe spring on the tensioner is quite stiff push down with some weight... you can also slide out the plactic on the tensioner to give a little more room...

Hope this helps... I am not an expert, but I just did one not too long ago.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Very helpful confirming that what I tried was reasonable! I loosened the hollow bolt on the tensioner t the point where I could see the side whole and let it sit overnight. Still stuck.
I've got a good idea what kind of compression the spring needs because I have the new one.
And the ramp won't slide off until the tensioner is fully extended (hits the piece of the casting with the retaining holes).

Many thanks.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

OK- I never did unstick the old tensioner, but I did get it out. I took out the J-tube, removed the tensioner mounting bolts, and slid the tensioner toward rear of car. Not too hard, but I was extemely lucky that the pads did not have deep grooves in them, or this wouldn't have worked. Once out, I could compress the tensioner some, but nowhere near enough to have locked it down with the retainer pins/holes. So something evidently went wrong with this tensioner. Got my new tensioner in and am good to go.

Thanks,

Tom

Old 11-24-2003, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: