Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Custom User Title

We all NEED this

Where can I find $2600? I saw this and peed a little.

Hey Wayne- because I am singing praises for this, can I get 50% off? PLEASE?

EDIT- I am talking about the garage jack, not the Ferrari (But I'd take it for $2600 too)

Old 11-22-2003, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
You need to think hard before you settle on a "lift" like that one. It's hard to work around it, and it doesn't go up "full height", also it's not all that stable once raised. If I may suggest, a two post, above ground lift would be my choice.
Ahmet
Old 11-22-2003, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
cool idea, but the bottom doesn't look very wide...
Old 11-22-2003, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Custom User Title

After coming down from multi-thousand dollar solutions, I went to the store. I've always used ramps for oil changes, but now that I plan to change my brake pads tomorrow, I realized that I'd need a jack. Here it is!!!

7000 pound capacity! Its the Craftsman professional line. Whatever that means. All I know is its heavy as hell, and seems MUCH nicer than the ghetto pep-boys thing I bought last year (and promptly returned). 20 inch lift. Came with two jackstands. Also, in the first stroke it lifts all the way to the car! I bet this would matter more if the car weren't so low to begin with. The part that goes against the car is awfully big- I hope this doesn't make a problem. Do I need to put some kind of pad on there?

Then I realized I needed a torque wrench too.

Hey! I'm in business now! I can't believe how much these things cost, but I know that good stuff works better (what a concept!). So- now I can go back and torque my transmission plugs properly too. Hell- I might go through the car and torque everything!

Anyone in the Boston area neek their car jacked up tomorrow? Swing by, I'll have it up in seconds! Sad how exciting this is to me...

Last edited by rammstein; 11-22-2003 at 07:24 PM..
Old 11-22-2003, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
My rowing machine is about the same width of that "lift" and has half the height - and is VERY easy to tip over. Glad you discovered the wonders of a jack. Try placing a hockey puck on the circular pan to preserve the metal-to-metal contact. Ask me how I know
Old 11-23-2003, 12:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Autobahn Garage

Harbor freight has a nice alloy jack for about $140 that works great, you can't beat the price
57, Speedster
Old 11-23-2003, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

i get the jack, and the stands, but what do you use the white slippers for?

the jack i got doesnt even fit under the crossmemeber. i have to pre jack the car up with the jack from the trunk!
Old 11-23-2003, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Re: We all NEED this

Quote:
Originally posted by rammstein
Where can I find $2600? I saw this and peed a little.

Hmmm. I'm sure a solution can be found for a lot less than $2600. Try this:

http://www.arizona.free-online.co.uk/men.htm

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."

Last edited by Dark Skies; 11-24-2003 at 02:09 AM..
Old 11-23-2003, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1.2gees
You need to think hard before you settle on a "lift" like that one. It's hard to work around it, and it doesn't go up "full height", also it's not all that stable once raised. If I may suggest, a two post, above ground lift would be my choice.
Ahmet

What he says. I think I'd rather spend the money on either having a set of full length ramps made up or having a pit dug out in my garage. It looks like you could easily tip that car over. Also it looks like most of the work that you'd want to carry out using such a stand is prevented by its design.

I have seen an alternative that is essentially a rolling cage that you bolt to the wheel studs of one side and literally tip the car over with the aid of a jacking mechanism operated by an ordinary electric drill. It has locking prop stands that stop the car going over too far once it's on its side. Looked very clever and allowed access to most of the underneath but probably impractical given the price - fluids might leak out and it'd be hard to lower heavy things like a transmission onto the floor. Very impressive at the show though.

Last edited by Dark Skies; 11-24-2003 at 02:08 AM..
Old 11-23-2003, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Custom User Title

those underpants will be what my brother gets for christmas now! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-24-2003, 01:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by rammstein
those underpants will be what my brother gets for christmas now! Thanks for the heads up!
And jolly stylish they are too, any man would be proud to own such a garment.

Old 11-24-2003, 02:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

btw rammy, nice shoes
Old 11-24-2003, 02:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by ronin
btw rammy, nice shoes
Yeah, they'll go well with those underpants for your "brother"

Old 11-24-2003, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

LOL!

Old 11-25-2003, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: