Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to gcjustin
Speedometer and Odometer

Hello Again,
Well, I have been driving the car and verified via 2 different GPS units, that my speedometer is off by around 10%. It currently registers faster than the car is traveling. This also makes my odometer record an extra 10% in mileage. At 60 mph the speedometer registers 66, at 50 it registers 55, so on and so forth. After 10 miles via gps, it is 11 in the car. Also when I tested this the GPS units were both accurate to around 20 odd feet. Is there something simple that can be replaced? The tire pressure is spot on and the tires are the factory sizes. I can get my speedo calibrated for around 400 locally, but wonder if there is a less expensive piece along the line that can be replaced to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Justin

Old 11-22-2003, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Autobahn Garage

Check the speed sensor in the transaxle. If you can swap it with another one and then do your testing again??? It will suprize you how different one is from the other
57, Speedster
Old 11-22-2003, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Are the rear tires stock size or larger?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 11-22-2003, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

10%? I've seen worse. Mine was off 4% using the time-tested roadside mileage marker method. You can use your offset as an automatic speeding ticket fine reduction device. Kinda like a make-your-own plea bargin tool.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Mine's off by a constant 10 mph over but the odometer reads fine. I bought the current speedo from someone who had gotten it re-built so I think that what happened is that the needle got put back on wrong when it was re-assembled. I need to get it fixed soon.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 11-23-2003, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

for liability issues in traffic court, German manufacturers' speedometers always read "optimistically"

Old 11-24-2003, 02:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: