Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Need advice on putting early motor in later car

If anyone out there has ever put a early motor into a 85.5 or later, what did you do about the wiring harness. Even though the early cars harness comes in through the drivers side, are you able to get it in on the passanger side of a later car. I'm putting a 83 euro spec. into my 87. Have everything ready to go.

I have tons of spare parts, let me know what you need.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Use the harness from the 87 including the AFS. You will have to drill out and tap the opening for the dash temp gauge sender. The early blocks have a small plug like sender that is pipe threaded into a blind hole. Doesn't go through to the water jacket.

Better if you can find a post 85.1 engine. Has a bit longer cam timing. But then you could use the cam from a later engine on the early block.

You could also retro fit the spring timing belt tensioner from the later engine.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 11-23-2003, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I was hoping you would reply. Is there anyway to use the early harness?
Don't have the 87 harness(don't ask!!)

Old 11-24-2003, 12:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Guess I should ask what of each car do you have?

Be complete in your answer.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sorry,
The doner car is a 83 euro spec. This is a true euro car. The later car is a 87 S.

Old 11-24-2003, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I would not part out the euro car. It's worth more whole. That is IF it's not whacked. If it's whacked you may have a runable engine but the DME is not compatable with the US delivery cars. Save the engine for the 84.

You should be able to find a wrecked 86 through 88 944 for $500 that has a runable engine and thus the wiring and DME that you will need to revitalize the 944S chassis. Are the front and rear bumpers still good on the euro?
Old 11-24-2003, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Running wise, the 83 is in great shape. This sounds crazy, but I have the receipts to show for it, the previous owner spent 6500 about 10k miles ago. He ending up parking the car. It had been sitting for 2 yrs when I got it. The problem..... the frame will not center up. The car more than likely took a hard hit, and was not put back together correctly. This is a true euro car. The front and rear bumpers are in good shape, just need stripping and re-spray.
So if switch the fuel rail, have machine shop take care of the cooling sensor, you are saying it will probley not work.

Old 11-24-2003, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I will be parting out the car.

Old 11-24-2003, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by todd84944
Running wise, the 83 is in great shape. This sounds crazy, but I have the receipts to show for it, the previous owner spent 6500 about 10k miles ago. He ending up parking the car. It had been sitting for 2 yrs when I got it. The problem..... the frame will not center up. The car more than likely took a hard hit, and was not put back together correctly. This is a true euro car. The front and rear bumpers are in good shape, just need stripping and re-spray.
So if switch the fuel rail, have machine shop take care of the cooling sensor, you are saying it will probley not work.
The basic engine will work but not the harness and the euro DME. Besides maching the hole for the later temp sender you will need the DME, harness, idle control valve, and AFS from an 85.5 or newer 944.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

It's pretty easy to pick up electrical harnesses for these cars off of ebay. You should be able to find a late model harness for less than $100. Use the late model harness with the old motor, it will be a lot easier.

nick><>
Old 11-26-2003, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

What is the afs? I have all of the stuff off of the S motor. If I change out the fuel rail, idle control valve, and the harness, I should be alright. I don't know what the AFS is though.

Old 11-26-2003, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Most everything off of the S engine will not work. The S engine DME is a totally different animal than the 8 valve engines -- even for the same year.

AFS is the Air Flow Sensor (Porsches descritpion) others call it an AFM Air Flow Meter. This is the device that measures the air coming into the engine and reports it to the DME (Brain). You would have to check the parts numbers on the S AFS and see if it can be used. Use the info at www.frwilk.com.

Again; you can not use the S DME, or fuel rail or harness. You might be able to use the idle control valve and the oil pressure sender.

All of the periferals, generator, AC compressor, power steering pump, Engine mounts, you should be able to use.

Besides a fairly complete engine including flywheel, clutch, and possibly bell housing, you are going to need the later (post 85.1) engine harness, fuel rail, DME, idle control valve, speed and reference sensors and mounting bracket. And possibly a few other items that escapes me right now like how the throtte cable connects.

Best to buy a bent late model 944 and start swaping.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

pm
Old 10-05-2008, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

you realize that this thread is FIVE years old? who did you PM?

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 10-05-2008, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
This answers many questions I have in todays post about swapping engines, etc.. Thanks Thoen
NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 10-05-2008, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

yes,
i know but i pm'd todd84944.
thanks for noticing. i couldn't find another thread that he had started.
best,
ernest

Old 10-05-2008, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: