Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

intermittent alternator-ing

i had the alternator tested at a shop about a month ago. they said it was ok. yesterday i was checking fluids and i tested the voltage with the car running, it read about 10V. this is obviously way below acceptable.
can an alternator come and go like that or should i replace wires from the alternator to the battery? if so, is there a way to overdo it so i never have to worry about this no start problem again? thicker wire or anything like that?

Old 11-25-2003, 12:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I'm off the hook.....

Sometimes the charging circuit requires an RPM above 2K or so to excite the alternator. Couple of reasons for this, but can be a 'normal' behaviour. Wasn't until I had a Voltmeter (one of the ones that plug into the cig lighter) that I consistantly saw the behaviour. Is more evident this time of year. Short nights, lights / heat / defrost / wipers / all on right after start. Prior to alt coming on, I see 10v with all of that happening. Will be 15 minutes or so before batt voltage comes back above 13.3 with all of that going on.

If you were checking volts without the alt coming on line, you might see the 'normal' volts as 'intermittant'.

I think my next 'upgrade' will be the 'adjustable' voltage regulator that is available for our alternators. Do a search here for that term, and you'll see the references and part numbers.

The ever-repeated clean negative grounds threads from here also would be a good search.

Last edited by singpilot; 11-25-2003 at 06:17 AM..
Old 11-25-2003, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

yea i think i will finally take socal and everyone's advice and get the adjustable regulator.

Old 11-25-2003, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: