Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Massive crankshaft leak..questions

The noise I was hearing was the cam being starved for oil. Let is sit for 2 days and the oil drained past the "low" mark on the stick.
...............No metal or shake in oil.
.....................No oil fouling of belts (thank the P-gods)
..........................No other leaks noted

My plan is a quick pull and replacement of the front seal only.
Questions:

I have heard that if the balance seals ain't broke, don't fix-up. Agree???

Once I pull the crank pully I guess the oil pump should be looked at. How often do these fail (read they were pretty sturdy)?

Loud racket from the front of the cam box/dist housing = Oil starvation or "wobble" from crankseal being gone or?

Any tips not in clarks, factory or haynes would be appreciated.

Old 11-26-2003, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
"Loud racket from the front of the cam box/dist housing"
Cam pulley is loose. Hex bolt under rotor. Might be a 12 point.

Must be a big puddle of oil on the ground; "Let is sit for 2 days and the oil drained past the "low" mark on the stick."

If there is no puddle where did the oil go?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 11-26-2003, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yup, big puddle..... pulled bottom pan and belt covers..cleaned up the undercarriage (mostly clean already from recent belts etc.)put a couple of quarts in to test theory and there the slow drip began
Old 11-26-2003, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
am I reading this right.... Your crankshaft seal went ?

If so, take a good look at the gear that drives the pump it may be scored and would be a good idea to replace. The pumps go but normally because of other problems ... rod bearings fail....little pieces of metal floating around... sand blast the pump gear...... etc..
Take the pump apart its a pretty basic piece and look for wear or pitting. Make sure you use loctite 574 as the factory manual details.

Have fun.

P.S I would replace the other seals if its time..... When were they last replaced? If you can't remember do the entire front end repair seals, rollers, belts... etc
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 11-26-2003, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Just to know,about oil puddles....What do you consider acceptable leaks in this car? a one or two centimeter puddel in a few days?more?less?
Old 11-27-2003, 12:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Of course, I am a fanatic. Any leak is immediately addressed. Leaks have a way of getting worse over time if ignored. Last belt change (2001) I had all new seals put in and it was a few hundred American but it was the most opportune time to have it done. Heck, since I do not have the dreaded P9201 tool, belt work is farmed out and so I figured at the time.....

Now I have a car that sits on the concrete pad in the garage and there is no discoloration under it!!

BTW..I had a friend years ago in Phoenix with a rear engined air cooled version that, in order not to offend folks, carried a cookie tin that he would slide under the car whenever he parked it on the street. I used to kid him about "topping off the oil and check the gas"....
Old 11-27-2003, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Im fanatic too,but money i starve money now,and,you guessed,i have a little leak i wanna now if its acceptable or not.Seems from the front,but changed belts and front seals less than 1000 miles ago.Probably is the same leak that makes my engine smoke as soon as i start it.

Ive spent lot of money fixing all that things just to see the F**** little leak,i just wanna a guy told me "hey,if it is so little you can live with it"
Old 11-27-2003, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Sounds like the camshaft seal went out if the cam is being starved for oil.

Agree with SoCal - could be a loose pully causing the racket - needs to be addressed immediately.

A second pair of hands is helpful for removing or installing the camshaft pully bolt.

If it is a XZN fastener (triple square) is will me a 10mm, if it is a hex, it should be a 8mm. The hex bolt is torque to yield and should not be re-used.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 11-27-2003, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I was kinda afraid you would say that.......

....I have figured out that the little voices in my head are you guys!

Guess this job will take a little longer than planned....

No problem, just a little more piece of mind that I will be buying myself.

Old 12-01-2003, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: