Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hello to all, first post

Greetings to all and hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I have been lurking and learning for awhile now and just wanted to thank all concerned for the valuable info I have picked up here. I bought my 84 944 from My Brother in Tallahasse about a year and a half ago and finally had it trailered up to me about a month ago. I was able to troubleshoot and determine the fuel pump was kaput (sat too long I think), thanks to the info I read on this forum. The car has 57,000 original miles and is in great shape. He had new belts, rollers and seals put in about 2 years ago and the car has only been driven about 1500 miles since then. All looks well but any feedback/advise is always appreciated. If anyone is going to have a timing belt party in the Nashville area, please let me know! Thanks again, you folks have helped me more than you know!

Pat

74 Toyota Landcruiser, loved it!
65 VW Westphalia camper, sold
57 VW Bug ragtop, sold (sigh)
64 Karmann Ghia, sold and sadly missed.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
57,000 miles! My 83 had about that when I bought it in 1985. What fun.

If the timing and balance belts have been around the pulleys at least once a month for the last two years it may be safe to drive it a few months. Still I would put a set of belts on it just to be cautious. The better safe thing.

You should see at least the same mileage you have on your BMW for the 944. A few things will need to be gone over soon. The wheel bearings are one.

The seals harden and water gets into them. Especially the rear bearings. When they start to go bad it sounds like a low ruble sometimes with a thump in time with the wheel. I would check that the large nuts on the stub axles are tight and cottered. A loose nut and you will be buying a stub axle and a hub besides the bearings and seals.

You will enjoy the car. As we all have ours.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 11-28-2003, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks SoCal, The belts and bearings sound like a good idea. I'm trying to figure out how to make room in my garage to get it inside for the winter (too much junk!). My Brother was pretty good about maintaining the belts. He bought it in 88 and I have all the maintenance records since he has owned it. He did start it up at least once a month for me but I took so long to get it I think the gas in it went bad and gummed up the pump and it quit running a few months back. I did drain the tank and put a new strainer, filter and pump in and then ran a tank of gas through her with the mobil techron. The car runs and rides REALLY good but I'm going to put her up for the winter and work on the bearings and belts etc. etc. Pat
Old 11-28-2003, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
If you don't have one of the Haynes manuals for the car get one. It's a good start for taking care of the car (no matter what others may say about it). Between it and the many resources here and on the web you will have most of the answers you will need. The PelicanParts side of this site has the factory electrical diagrams for the early 944's as well as some tech articals. Save them to a handy folder on your PC.

Then there is www.clarks-garage.com and www.frwilk.com. Both indespensible resources.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Welcome to the board....

Its always nice to have a car that you know the history of (family).....

Follow Socal's advice he won't steer you wrong and you will be on your way to years of driving pleasure.

www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 11-28-2003, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Welcome to the madness.

Soul check-in is on the left, tool check out is on the right.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 11-28-2003, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by ae1969
Welcome to the board....

Its always nice to have a car that you know the history of (family).....

Follow Socal's advice he won't steer you wrong and you will be on your way to years of driving pleasure.

Actually I have a special direct line to AFJuvat's roll around.

Old 11-28-2003, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

heheheheh...

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 11-28-2003, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Smile

Got the Haynes manual and it is better than nothing! And yes, my soul has been "consumed" by my 944. There is something about this car that makes waking up in the morning a joyful event. I'm sure there will be headaches in the future but like anything else in this world worth having, there is a price. The wealth of information I have already gleaned from this sight is invaluable. I'm sure I will have lots of questions to ask and the response already has been great. Thanks to all! Pat

Old 11-29-2003, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: