Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
Grinding noise when taking left turns

I get a loud grinding noise when taking lefts. Only lefts. My tie rod ends are beat and the left side is MORE beat so is that my problem or could it be my cv joints starting to die? Or could it be my rotors? It didnt make this noise when i got the car. It SEEMS to be coming from the front left wheel but I could be mistaken. Tie rod ends or what?

-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 11-29-2003, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I had a similar problem and I replaced the CV's but it turned out to be the clutch.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Cool

Howdy,
I had the same problem. You need to replace the wheel bearings (Inner, outer, and two seals). It'll cost $60.00 in parts (from NAPA) to do each wheel. I fixed the bad one on one weekend and then the other one a few weeks later. Don't wait very long to fix it because you could lose your tire and maybe more.
To make sure this is the problem, 1) Look at the rear of the car. Is one tire at a slant? 2) Jack up the car and pull on both sides of the tire. Does it move (swivel) or is it tight? 3) Does the car sway side to side when you accelerate?
If you've answered yes to the questions, that's probably your problem. While you've got her up in the air, check your CV boots to see if they're in good shape (not cracked).
Make sure you have a strong "clip ring removal tool". The book says to compress the bearings in, but you can use a 2" diameter pipe to CAREFULLY tap them in.
Good luck to you, sir. I hope this helps. 83_P_944
Old 11-29-2003, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

p.s. Another way to see if they're your wheel bearings is to turn the wheel left and right while driving down the road. If it grinds one way and not the other, I'd say the bearings are shot.
I sure hope it's not your CV transaxles. If so, you can pick them up at Auto Zone for $90-$100 each. 83_P_944
Old 11-29-2003, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Nobody Special

Ck wheel bearings first as instructed by 83_p_944 (it's the cheapest route to go first). CV's are more expensive and should be check 2nd if you're on a budget and a do it at home mechanic like me.

Dad always said "start with cheapest part first" :-)
'89 951 Guards Red/Black Leather 69K (Winner Best Stock 944 Turbo - 944Fest 2005)
www.autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/CorysPorschePage/
Rennlist: "GOBOGIE"
Old 12-01-2003, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Don't drive on bad bearings if you can help it....gets much more expensive..

I know from experience on another car
Old 12-02-2003, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
CV's don't grind. They click and thump. Also they are in the back of the car not the front.

Wheel bearings. Check both the front and the rear. If one wheel is bad so are the other three.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-02-2003, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
Bearings are bad bro,... Don't drive on them ****s,... they will heat up and fuse baby!
Old 12-02-2003, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
Its my right front from hitting a curb when someone almost hit me. It probably got cockeyed. Ill need to replace that one. Im sure the others are fine. Ill do it tomorrow.... can it be done without a press? What is the procedure to do this repair?
-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 12-05-2003, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Could be everything from the spindle to the strut housing and the wheel. Or all of the above.

Could be just the back sheet metal cover that's bent.

New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-05-2003, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: