Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
If you had to choose: 2.5, 2.7 or 951

Ok, I'm still continuning my search for a 944, and I've manged to find *3* locally. First car:

1988 944 (2.5L)
BRAND NEW (as in, 0 mile) clutch, dealer installed. The dealer bought it with a blown clutch with the intent of selling it. I talked to the ower. Says it's in great condition, and he's going to do whatever might need to be done to get anything else squared away. So far, the clutch is the only known issue. He's asking about 5.5K

Doesn't sound like it'd be too bad, I figured since it's past 100K most of the real expensive stuff has been done. The brand new clutch is also a big plus. Also, price seems about right. I haven't gotten to see it yet, but I am going to some time this week.

Second car:

1989 944 (2.7L)
Apparently real nice, and 74K original miles. Unfortunately, this is all the info I have. My dad is in contact with the owner. Any ideas on price range? Any different pit falls from earlier model years?

Third car:

1987 951
Again, a nice example of a 951. Clean inside and out, runs strong, shifts strong. They want (same dealer as the 88) 8K for it.

Same reasoning as #1, all the major stuff has been taken care of. However, I'm a bit leary of a 124K Turbo engine, especially a performance engine. We all know these cars have seen their share of spirited driving. Is there any problems with a higher mileage 951? Is he asking too much? What kind of service records should I be looking for from the engine? I'm assuming a 951 engine requires a little more mechanic love than the NA engine.

The 944 will be my daily, including (unfortunately) serving winter duty. My dad's not so sure about 100k+ miles, and I too have some reservations. However, since I work and go to school full time, I'm looking at under 1K/miles per month average over a span of, say, 5 years (assuming I keep it through college). Does a 951 require a substanial amount more maintence than the NA? I'd LOVE a 951 but I also don't want to be strecting each paycheck to pay for some new repair.

Which 944 would you guys recommend, and why? Insurance isn't much different, so really it's down to the individual car.

Thanks a lot, and apologies for the long post.

edit: Or I could get a truck and a snowmobile... Oh, decisions...

Last edited by SlowToady; 11-29-2003 at 09:04 PM..
Old 11-29-2003, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
124k is nothing, if your PPI turns out good, get the 951.

Old 11-29-2003, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The 88 is a little overpriced.
the 2.7 motor I belive you may find difficultly with parts as it is a more rare model.
and the turbo I think if the PPI checks out I would try to get the dealer to lower the price if possible.

And with the mileage I belive some of the people on Rennalist have cars that they race in AutoX and they have about 250K to 300K+. So The 100K is just hitting its stride if it was maintained.

Hope that helps. Its my $.02

Last edited by Techmonkey; 11-29-2003 at 11:52 PM..
Old 11-29-2003, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

I'd be inclined to go for the 2.5 seeing as the clutch is brand new. I'd stay clear of a turbo on the grounds of having to go the extra distance in maintenance (oil / filter changes being much more vital to maintain). Also more expensive when they go wrong. Mileage isn't such a disparity twixt 104 and 74 k to be of much concern. My bog standard 2.5 Lux has well over 300,000 miles on her and still doesn't smoke.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 11-30-2003, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You only live once, and in my experience the N/A cars (other than a 968 or 944 S2) get boring fast due to their general lack of pace. I'd go for the 951. Actually that is what I did do and never looked back,
K&N, Lindsey Boost Enhancer, chipped, oversize fuel regulator
968 Club Sport anti sway bars
Adjustable Koni Yellows
Fuchs alloy : 9 inch rear, 7 inch front
2.5 inch stainless steel exhaust

1984 928 S2 (Jap spec)
1977 Mazda 323 - hard core tuned
Old 11-30-2003, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
If the main issue is cost I would avoid all of these cars. Even with a new clutch they can quickly cost you. Having said that....You want a fun fast car?.....You want a good looking car?.......TURBO!!!!!

'87 911 Targa
Old 11-30-2003, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

meister member

Garage
No matter what car you chose get a prepurchase inspection. Some minor repairs can cost an arm and a leg. If you find the right shop you might get by only giving them an arm. When I was looking at my car I got a PPI and the car checked out good except oil cooler seals. The repair price was $1200 at the dealer. The owner knocked the price of the car down the $1200 dollars on the spot. The $80 PPI saved me alot of $$$$.

Good luck searching
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 11-30-2003, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

If you dont want too much complications,may be you should search a bit more and find a 3.0 Has enough power and torque,and you donīt have to fight with the turbo mechanic.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
No matter which one you get. Make sure you have $2K as an emergency fund.

The NA 2.5 is a little over priced but with a new clutch ($2K) it is a nice thing to have done by the pro's .

My choice would be between the NA2.5 and Turbo . If you can have the shop throw in a new water pump/belts/rollers on either one.... for the prices you have listed it would be a good deal... If the clutch hasn't been changed on the Turbo (original) walk away unless you want to spend another $2K.

Either car would be good for another 100K with normal maintenance after this....

This will be your primary mode of transportation so go for the car that has had the most stuff replaced

P.S These engines are solid for 200K easily..............(as long as you maintain them) Also keep looking you will be surprised how many nice 944's you can find in this price range....
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 11-30-2003, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
I'd start with the 2.5l na, less to go wrong, new clutch, easier to work on. AND THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE, lower INSURANCE Price.
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 11-30-2003, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to perfecto951
i have a 951 with 111K and my brother has a 2.5L na with 125K. I have driven them both (lots) and i honestly think that the NA is just as fun as the Turbo, but if you like crazy ass all out acceleration then just go for the turbo. 124K isn't really that much. I would not get the 2.7 (like everyone else says, weird availability of parts)

With the turbo, the only main problems with the car are easy to fix by yourself - anything (short of a turbo rebuild/reinstall) is about equal to the work you would put into an NA that needs fixing.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I am going to go check out the 951 on Thursday I think, and the 88 as well. Also, I was just talking to a friend of mine who movied to South America and she is going to have to sell her 86 944. He's not perfect, but he had a fianancaly well to do Porsche-fanatic owner, so I know the maintanence is up to date. They are also long time personal friends. It's not perfect, but it's got a new clutch, 2 yr. old motor rebuild (something happened at track), and lots of new parts. The only problems are cosmetic (int.) but that shouldn't be a big deal; my uncle re-upholsters stuff for a living. It's got KONIs in the front, too, and factory shocks out back. Anyone know what a 951 brake conversion might cost? I'd wanna do that...I'm gonna go drive it in a few days since it's just at her house here, and I guess I'll be back with some Driving Impressions.

What all does a mechanic do for a PPI, and about what do they cost?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2003, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Ebs
You only live once, and in my experience the N/A cars (other than a 968 or 944 S2) get boring fast due to their general lack of pace. I'd go for the 951. Actually that is what I did do and never looked back,
I disagree: the 944 n/a is a very capable car when driven on the track. And typically, since the 944 n/a is a momentum car (read slower than those turbos!) the driver of such car will learn to drive it better, with less mistakes. On the track, the driver of a 'fast' car can take a corner wrong, and make up for it on the straights. With a 944 n/a, you make a mistake, you will pay for it for an entire lap! So, if you want to track a car, and you want to learn to drive a car well, you will be happy with a 944 n/a. (Sorry for diverging: as an avid track driver / DE participant, there's track driving, and well, regular/boring street driving!)

I believe the 2.7 liter engine isn't that bad to service: just the head is a little different: most of the other components are shared with the 2.5 engine. The 2.7 engine does have a power (hp and torque) advantage over the 2.5's. (There is no replacement for displacement!)

If you're young, I'd stay away from the 944 Turbo: while it is a faster car, you will most likely get more tickets with it!

So, my recommendation: if the price & PPI are right, go for the 2.7. It has the least mileage, and most likely offers the best bang for the buck.

Good luck!
-Zoltan.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 12-01-2003, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I am a fan on the NA mostly because is can't really be modified much.

I know myself and what a modifiable car could do to me, my relationships and my bank account

That said, my second porsche will be a 951 or 968.

Once I have "gotten over the learning curve" on this one I will get another........Won't sell this one though.

IMHO

NA - cosmetic and luxury mods

951 - power it up baby!

968 - leave it as is

Old 12-01-2003, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Anyone know how much 951 rotors cost, and how hard they are to put on an NA? A friend of mine is selling her 944 that I have lots of history with, and I think it might need either rotors or pads (getting some brake squeal). Figure even if it's pads, I might as well go to bigger rotors while I'm there.

You guys are so awesome.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

It all depends what you want and what you can afford, but the 2.5 is a good car with enough power as far as I am concerned.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Quote:
Originally posted by SlowToady
Anyone know how much 951 rotors cost, and how hard they are to put on an NA? A friend of mine is selling her 944 that I have lots of history with, and I think it might need either rotors or pads (getting some brake squeal). Figure even if it's pads, I might as well go to bigger rotors while I'm there.

You guys are so awesome.
Uhmmm not a straight swap thats for sure.... It can easily cost you > $1000 to do the swap on an 85' 1/2 + 944.

Just do a brake job on it and that will still cost you ~500.00 (rotors, pads, bearings etc.....)
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 12-01-2003, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

SlowToday,

Sold my '84 944 (2.5L) about six months ago and have been driving '86 951 (stock) for the past five years, I could offer the following impressions:

1) either are good 0-60 mph cars unless you are welling to abuse your car or serious modification on the 951 (in Aust. there are a lot of WRX STIs, GTRs and EVOs)

2) 944 has a flatter torque curve which make it easier to handle than the 951 especially in the wet coming out of a corner

3) Turbo rush is quite addictive but also higher maintenance cost

4) Handling of a stock 944 is a lot better than most modern day performance cars, sway bar and suspension modification can further improve your ride

I would start with a 2.5L 944 (not sure how much better the S is) and enjoy the ride.

Kenneth

Old 12-01-2003, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: