Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Dsh covers

Does anyone have any experience with the plastic dash covers that glue down on top of exiting dashs to cover the cracks? Are they worth buying? Do they look good? Are there any problems with installing or maintaining the dash covers. Is a certain manufacture brand better than another? etc.

My 1984 dash is full of cracks and I need to do something soon.

Paul

Old 11-30-2003, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Mine looks great except fot the warping over the center speaker. I've yet to find a way to fix that.

As for maintaining, keep it out of the sun....

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 11-30-2003, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by UconnTim97
Mine looks great except fot the warping over the center speaker. I've yet to find a way to fix that.

As for maintaining, keep it out of the sun....
Any chance of a picture showing how it looks?

I've been thinking about getting one for my car (r/h drive) but haven't actually seen one close up. Porscheshop (UK) can get them but whenever I ask to see a pic or one fitted they just tell me there isn't one to hand. I gather it's a bare fibre glass affair that one glues in place. I wondered whether it might be possible to flatten the warp by using a hair dryer to heat and reshape it prior to gluing the panel in place. Does that sound do-able?

I've also toyed with the idea of making my own dash cover using panel card, lightweight foam and leather upholstery. I've gone as far as making a template and cutting some leather from the rear seat of a scrapped truck. Having trouble getting suitable length card stock so temporarily halted for now. Anyone had any success going this route?

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."

Last edited by Dark Skies; 12-01-2003 at 04:17 AM..
Old 12-01-2003, 02:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

As far as flattening the warp, you might as well get another one. I had a Coverlay that had the little bridge behind the center speaker. It warped. When I took it off I found it very brittle in that section. There was also some lesser warpage on both sides. There is an interior picture with my hard cover on my website.

When you get a plastic cover you need to make sure that you still use a windshield shade whenever your car is left outside. Also helps to vent from the window or sunroof to keep interior temps down. Then you may get longer service from the cover.

I replaced mine with a velour cover from the same mfg. Noticed that it was really quiet. The plastic cover must have been the source of most of my interior rattles and squeaks. I liked the way it looked, but some folks think it's too '80's.

Last edited by jts924s; 12-01-2003 at 10:53 AM..
Old 12-01-2003, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Darkskies - I am looking into the same leather thing....you are farther along than I.

The dashcover that the PO put in mine does match colorwise, it just looks like crap. Better than looking at cracks, but not by much. It has warped in the center by the vents and dipped in the front by the steering wheel. Good for everyday but not much class.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The hard plastic covers will warp and they are garbage IMHO. I have one and I hate it. I plan to replace it with a carpeted cover.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Hall
The hard plastic covers will warp and they are garbage IMHO. I have one and I hate it. I plan to replace it with a carpeted cover.
Why do they warp? Too thin? Could thin metal supports on the underneath offset this?

Old 12-01-2003, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Dark Skies, I think you are right, the material is too thin over the center speaker.

A metal support may work, if it could be done unobtrusively.

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 12-01-2003, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

There is a cover on the 83 euro that I'm about to part out. I actually had to take a second look at it. When I first looked at the car, it shocked the sh.. out of me that the dash wasn't cracked. Then relized by the texture, that it was a cover. Not sure if it is the coverlay or not, but it actually looks pretty good, at least a lot better than my 84 dash.

I have tons of spare parts, let me know what you need.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Dark Skies,

Problem with metal support would be how to attach it to the cover. Some manner of glue is the easiest choice, but most glues lose adhesion when heated. Due to your climate, you may not have as much worry as us in the States. A windsheild shade on the sunny days should be enough protection. I would imagine that the plastic would have to get close to 40 degrees (C) before it warps.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Over the years the cardboard/pressboard construction of the dash will expand and contract. Other than some concaving above the instrument cluster mine looks fine but the dash cover is not ans exact fit. Where the original dash is curved the Coverlay doesn't fit tightly. The dash cover seems to warp mostly in those areas.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Dark skies, what does "Lux" mean?
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by todwic
If he means "luxury" with that,considering is a n/a auto,hes wrong.

BTW,Darky is not very talkative recently...and heard something about problems with his car....whats wrong?
Old 12-03-2003, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Lux is the UK standard trim level.

I think it is short for Luxury although it may be from the latin 'lux' meaning light - (as in less stuff on it?) Certainly the trim level of a lux would suggest that it is a 'light' version of the 'S'...

The lux has a smoother, more comfortable ride, velour seats (usually) next in the range is the 'S' which preceded the 'S2' - harder ride, bit more grunt. And finally the Turbo - for those who desire the ludicrous speed setting...
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 12-03-2003, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by todwic
Like flangermog says. My brother reckons it means "lacks usual xtras" which is pretty much spot on. My car has none of the stuff that you lot take for granted. Theres no AC, no heated seats, no electrically operated seats, etc, etc. And you know what? I'm glad of it because there's so much less on my car to go wrong. I even like the fact that my car has the old style dash and steel swinging arms and all that - so much easier to work on.

Do they not have the Lux version in America?

Old 12-04-2003, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by jts924s
Dark Skies,

Problem with metal support would be how to attach it to the cover. Some manner of glue is the easiest choice, but most glues lose adhesion when heated. Due to your climate, you may not have as much worry as us in the States. A windsheild shade on the sunny days should be enough protection. I would imagine that the plastic would have to get close to 40 degrees (C) before it warps.
The sort of glue I had in mind was the type that car factories use to glue those pressed strenghtheners under the hood. Another glue that I've found exceptionally strong is something called Sika flex. It's used for glueing / cushioning fibreglass kit car bodies onto metal chassis. It's very versatile, waterproof, strong, it even comes in colours. They (Sika) sponsored my racing kit car and gave me a crate of the stuff. I used it for everything. I even used it to trim my car - I stippled it with a stencil brush throughout the whole of the cockpit (it sets with a plasticized finish). They use it a lot in the marine industry. Every workshop should have a tube.

Last edited by Dark Skies; 12-04-2003 at 05:35 PM..
Old 12-04-2003, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Skies
Like flangermog says. My brother reckons it means "lacks usual xtras" which is pretty much spot on. My car has none of the stuff that you lot take for granted. Theres no AC, no heated seats, no electrically operated seats, etc, etc. And you know what? I'm glad of it because there's so much less on my car to go wrong. I even like the fact that my car has the old style dash and steel swinging arms and all that - so much easier to work on.

Do they not have the Lux version in America?
Nope - I've seen it referenced in 911 & Porsche World articles, so I knew what you meant, but we never had that designation here.

Emanuel
Old 12-04-2003, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Heated seats were an option,or were it serial?(from 86) I think i dont have that.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I have used a Coverlay brand for about 6 or 7 years. It has a crack in it now that has been there about 15 months. It looked pretty good when new and I will replace it with another soon. I have never used a shade to cover the dash at all. Some fitting is necessary to get it right initially. You can file or sand the edges to get a perfect fit. Beats the cost of a new leather dash all to pieces.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I have used a Coverlay brand for about 6 or 7 years. It has a crack in it now that has been there about 15 months. It looked pretty good when new and I will replace it with another soon. I have never used a shade to cover the dash at all. Some fitting is necessary to get it right initially. You can file or sand the edges to get a perfect fit. Beats the cost of a new leather dash all to pieces.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: