Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Electrical Fan Failiure.

Now that i think about it...my electrical fan has been dead for about a week now...

But today i had a very bad experience..

My little brother drove the car today...and he parked it in the garage..and yelled at me "Zlatko..there is steam coming out form the car..." i was like...fuuuuck...

So i rush out..pop the hood..and see it's coming from the rad cap..

I unscrew it slightly..and steam comes GUSHING out..and my garage is transformed into a sauna within minutes.

Then it hit me...the fan is not working..

Every time i came home last week..i turn the car off..and i hear that soothing fan sound...bbzzzzzz.......and it just works for a few minutes..

This has stopped happening rescently..

When my little brother came home..i checked..and there was coolant all over the ground..because the pressure was so great that it had to come out somewhere..

I checked for a coolant leak afterwards when the car cooled down..and i put water inside..and let it run for a little bit...

No leaks were seen..phew..

So now..it's down to the Electircal fans. How notorious are these things for breaking? And how much time am i looking at for to fix this and how much stuff am i gonna have to remove to get to it?

Thanks.

-Zlatko

Old 11-30-2003, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

first, assure that the fan is broken by checking the fuses and reaching down to see if it still spins freely (yes, they do seize after a some years). then check the operation of the fans by turning on the a/c switch to see if they come on. also, the fans shouldn't break down at the same time so if both appear to be bad, there is probably something wrong with the wiring, fuses, or something else. once you decide whether the fans need to be replaced, it will probably be easier for you to take them out through the bottom - fewer things to remove
Old 11-30-2003, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

K, right after i made my post..i checked a few things using the haynes..

1) The Fan..i connected 12v to it..it worked..good
2) Checked the Cooling fan Relay..it clicked after i ran some power through it
3) The Thermostat appears to be at fault now..

I cant get to the thermostat..for now..im going to take it to my friend's place and see if i can do it there...
Old 11-30-2003, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

process of elimination seems to be working well. keep us posted!
Old 11-30-2003, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

the fans should run after the car is turned off if its fully hot.
could be a bad temp switch perhaps
Old 11-30-2003, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Try turning on the A/C. If both fans come on its most likely the temp switch. I think you are refering to the temp switch wich is located on the radiator. The thermostat is located near the water pump and has nothing to do with the electrical system. You can take a screwdriver and short the two contacts on the temp switch to test it.

One fan should remain on after the engine is turned off when hot. If the temp switch is good then test the resistor.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Cebu
My opinion..Cooling Fan Relay..If the fans work with direct power applied and temp sensors okay. the relay is faulty. I noted on my vehicle, the initial indication of the faulty relay was the fan was not running after ignition switch is turned off and overflow from the coolant tank after shutdown (heatsoaking).
Pelican Parts
1. 944 thru 1/85 P/N 141-951-253B
2. 85-86 P/N E-615-104-01
3. 87-91 P/N E-615-104-03
94 Impala SS
Old 12-01-2003, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Check the fuses. One for each fan. Wilks has the early fuse board cross reference on his site: www.frwilk.com

Also a bunch of other worth reading info.

If the fuses are blown then the fan motor is dragging and over loading the circuit.

Raise the front of the car and vent the system a few times to get the air out. Make sure the heater valve is open when you do.

New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-01-2003, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: