Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

shock absorbers?

hi

i have a 85 924s and it feels slightly unbalanced the right side appeaing to be spongier especially when i turn left. could this be the shock absorbers need replacing on one side, and if so how can i do a test.

the car looks ok but some times when i drive straight i feel slightly off balance and the steering can pull to the right.

hope you can help

Old 12-02-2003, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Could be shocks, springs, even tyres (have you checked those?)

If the car sits to the right hand side when it's stationary it could be your springs, if it's just spongy on steering, it could be shocks but also could be springs as well.

Easy to check your shocks: at the front lift hood and push car down over shock mounts (saves scratching fender). If the car just pops straight back up again it's probably ok, if it goes up and down a couple of times (as if it were a water bed) then your shocks are not absorbing the energy of your push, therefore, they are not working - replace.

The springs are less likely to go but on these old cars (and given how most people drive them) they will probably go at some stage. It's easy to spot a spring that has gone because your car will be on the deck.

It may be that the springs are a bit tired, but that should be more of a uniform thing unless it's been up a kerb. RH front shock is the usual weak spot on LHD cars (because it's the wheel most people use to ram their cars up onto the kerb with).

My money is on the shockers though.

If it's your shocks I recommend you replace at least the front two together, but you'd be better to do all four - otherwise the car will be unbalanced.

Check the back also by lifting tailgate and pushing down over the rear wheel, you should now have an idea if something is wrong by comparing the response of each corner...

If you don't know what your doing with springs and things though I would take it to a friendly mechanic. I do.

The steering will pull if your suspension is dodgy...
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Last edited by flangermog; 12-02-2003 at 07:47 AM..
Old 12-02-2003, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ds475
my rear shocks are bouncy, if i push down i can bounce the back of my car up and down. the front will not do this. seems pretty obvious, no?
Old 12-02-2003, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Your car leaves the ground????!!!

Old 12-02-2003, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

you know what i mean...
Old 12-02-2003, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, sorry I couldn't resist

If they bounce a few times they're old and should be replaced. Imagine going over a bump and this happening - then your car probably would leave the ground!

If they rise back up fairly quick and stop again, they should be ok.

Old 12-03-2003, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

i "lost" control last night (i was skidding, but i never left my lane) on a twisty road i like to speed down when it's not busy. whenever i go sharp turns, it feels like i'm sliding my ass around, but it's not. is that also cause of my pos rear shocks? one time my sister was riding with me, and she was like, "you slide around corners a lot" and i was like "uhhh... my tires have not slid YET". the ass of my car can get out from under me really easily.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I would also suspect the tires. Some tend to harden as they age.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-03-2003, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

the tires only have about 5-6k on them. tires are FINE. can suspension cause what i was mentioning? as i said, it SEEMS like i'm sliding, but in reality i still have perfect contact with the road (maybe not perfect b/c my shocks suck...)
Old 12-03-2003, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like the weight is shifting violently from one side of the car to the other, this can give the affect that the car is unstable on the road and can, in some cases cause the car to snap the back end out. This can be caused by shocks/suspension set up, but also by not driving smoothly.

If you know that your shocks are unwell, you should change tham at your earliest convenience because if your car is taking up the shocks from bumps etc. that the shock absorbers are not - it will shake itself to bits eventually things will start to drop off!! Although our cars are built like tanks, in the long term, driving without absorbers will not be good.

One thing to check also would be that your handbrake isn't binding slightly, I had this problem in the summer, nobody could work it out (having checked shocks, springs, stabilisers, bushings) why the handling was so piss poor. Turned out the handbrake was on all the time, only very slightly, but enough to upset the back of the car on cornering.

Incidently, depending on how you drive, it is possible to ruin a set of tyres in far less than 5-6k - especially if you're doing a lot of twistys on abrasive tarmac at high speed...

Old 12-04-2003, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
I had a similar problem on my 944, the front shocks and the rear shocks were shot. Every corner I made, I would hit tiny bumps, and the tires would hop, they would never squeal or actually leave rubber behind, but I almost overshot a few corners, and almost spun out once on a normal road. Never underestimate what bad shocks will do.
But of course, get a professional opinion before you change them, sucks to change something that isn't broken.

Buy my parts!
Old 12-04-2003, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

only 105 bucks for a pair of the boge/sachs rear shocks... sounds worth the money...

Old 12-04-2003, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: