Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to EazeOnMah944
tune up info

I'm getting ready to tune up my 944 N/A, what plugs, plug wires, and oils should I use? help is much appreciated thx

Old 12-02-2003, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Bosch or Beru plugs. Look at the rotor and cap to see if they are overly scared from arcing. Wires should be ok unless they are showing signs of cracks and arcing to the engine.

A good quality oil for your climate area. Oil filter must be MAHLE. There is a back flow check valve that keeps the oil galley full -- doesn't let it bleed back into the oil pan.

Any air filter.

Fuel filter.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-02-2003, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

all porsche OEM parts

NotJustPorsche
Subscribe: notjustporsche-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Old 12-02-2003, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

PS - don't just dump the cap and rotor if they are not bad....the pair costs about $50.....that's right....$50

All my research says the stock recommended plugs are the best...platinum etc can actually hurt.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
One of the things to check on the spark plug cables is the one from the coil to the dist. This has a tendency to corrode inside the weather boots and break loose. You can check it by giving the wire a bit of a pull and see if it moves a little out of the weather cover.

See two weeks of DME checking because of no start and it was this cable!
Old 12-02-2003, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Look at the rotor and cap to see if they are overly scared from arcing.
just looked at mine and they were literally frightened out of their wits!

what's wrong with Bosch filters?
Old 12-02-2003, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Bosch filters? Probably a MAHLE with a paint job.

I like MAHLE spark plugs.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

plus mahle just sounds way cooler.
is mahle the same as the oem?
Old 12-03-2003, 12:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Bosch filters? Probably a MAHLE with a paint job.
so what you're saying is tomayyyyto, tomaaaahto
Old 12-03-2003, 12:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

hey one little question to not start a lonely thread...im changing my oil type to a heavier one because i emptyed the last can,and last oil and filter change was about 700 miles ago....can I keep the filter?I know its cheap but i dont wanna replace a self new filter
Old 12-03-2003, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Mahle is OEM, at least here it is, I picked up 2 filters from the dealership (Cheaper than anywhere else!) they said porsche on the box, but I open them up and they say Mahle on the filters.
700 miles on the filter?.. that's awfully early to change it, unless you are chaning all your oil, I wouldn't change the filter. I don't know if I would mix oil types in the engine, I don't see any harm in it, but I wouldn't make a habit of doing it.
(Says the guy with 1.2L of ATF in his oil right now) *grin*

Buy my parts!
Old 12-03-2003, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

you're right. mixing different grades of oil is not a good idea. the filter should be replaced if you're going to change grades

1.2L ATF in your oil??
Old 12-03-2003, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

50/50 mix of oil ant ATF run for a few miles is supposed to "clean out" the system.....drain then fill with your choice of oils.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Yes,im going to change drastically all the oil from a synth to a dyno and heavier one...What would happen if i dont change the filter?
Yes,i heard some complaints about that oils before,but people in porsche workshop told me to switch it,so im doing that.They said i only need to change dyno more often,and thats what im going to do.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

bosche super 4 plugs .Correct spec no.
944 guards red 82- slotted rear turbo spoiler- new dash cover- red dials - k@n dropin filter- throttle cam upgrade- astrali wood steering wheel {can now see temp guage}-(www.astrali.co.uk)blue/white fogs {RING}-reversing sensors-alpine cd-roil gold engine protection
Old 12-03-2003, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Hmm, I stand corrected, I opened the second box, and this filter says porsche on it, but the first one is still on my car, and says mahle.... worrying!
I was just going to add 1L of ATF to it to quiet down some lifters, and run it to the next oil change (3000km), under the advice of a couple porsche mechanics, I run Mobil 1 synthetic 10W30, and I added Mobill 1 synthetic ATF, and the weather here is a wee bit chilly (about -5 to -15 celcius), so thinning the oil is a good thing, as when warm my oil pressure is 5 bar. Anyways, it got a little low again, so now I have 1.2L of ATF in there.
However, I have noticed that the lifters got louder when I added the ATF. Why is that?

Buy my parts!
Old 12-03-2003, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

What does everyone think about this ????

I saw this on EBay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33688&item=2446357666

It's a kit that has most of the stuff.

I will probably be getting one.
I have seen them before on EBay, so there should be additional ones etc.....

Is this worth it ?????????????

Also found a " Buy it Now " for 3 - MAHLE oil filters for like 13 bucks.

Input ????

Don
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 12-03-2003, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by TCMdocs944
50/50 mix of oil ant ATF run for a few miles is supposed to "clean out" the system.....drain then fill with your choice of oils.
ah yes. just like those engine cleaning treatments at places like jiffy lube and Grease Monkey. they basically do the same but leave the car sit at high idle for a few minutes

Old 12-03-2003, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: