Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

993 for me or 944 for my son

Thought I'd post this here anyway. Thanks for any info you can pass on.

Chris

Quote:
I promised my son he will inherit my SC after high school. It's four years away but I'm already suffering from separation anxiety. I once thought the only car that can replace my beloved SC is a 993. However, a mechanic friend told me to stay away from 993s as they are just now presenting major issues that will require lots of $$$ to fix. He said the dreaded "check engine light" can translate into a huge repair. So then I thought, how about a 944 for my son so that I can keep my SC? Same mechanic friend told me 944s are maintenance intensive. He said 944s are cheap because you'll spend the $$$ during ownership not acquisition. So, my question to you is, what do you know about these cars? Any rumors, hearsay or anecdote you want to share with me? Please don't ask me to pose these questions on a 944 or 993 board as that's like asking a Sacramento Kings fan to talk trash about their team. It ain't gonna happen (Go Kings!). Thanks for your help.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Thinkin of buying one and can't even post here??!!

Ahhwww Come on...

944's aren't that much better than 911's.......

I wouldn't say the 44 is really that mainenance intensive, no more than any other 20yo sports car. At this age they just need most of the rubber and seals replaced if not already done...

............Mechanic done = quite expensive
....Home done = a bit pricey but very very rewarding

If your son isn't mechanically inclined just buy the best example possible where all of this has already been done. Expect to pay over $7k though.

Good luck and HEY WELCOME TO THE 944 FORUM!
(promise we won't tell your 911 buddies)
Old 12-02-2003, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I've had my '84 for over 5 years and I've spent an average of less than $1000 (CDN) per year on upkeep. It's not the cheapest car in the world but it's well worth it in my opinion. It's never broken down on me. I did pay a little more than average for the car in the first place but it was in great shape (one owner, relatively low mileage, PO kept mainenance up-to-date).

It's the same as with a 911: if you buy a rough car then you are going to have to pay to replace all the stuff the PO neglected. Get a good one to start with and you should be fine. Just make sure you change the timing belts on the proper schedule.

I think you need to find a less pessimistic mechanic to take purchasing advice from. Generally speaking, generalities are fun but they are generally unreliable when talking about old cars, generally. Some old cars have more baggage than others and the older they get the more individual they are.
Canada West Region - PCA
Old 12-02-2003, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks TCM. I wanted to get an "unbiased" opinion of 944s which is why I decided not to post here first. 911 owners are very dedicated to their cars and I expect 944 owners to be the same. BTW, most of the ads I've seen are in the range of $3K to 7K for higher mileage cars (125,000 and up). But the best 944 I've seen but not driven was a 1989 944S2 (?) for $17.5K. It had less than 60,000 and was immaculate. Still, though, I thought it may have been overpriced.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Hey guys, I sent him over here. Treat him right!
Old 12-02-2003, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
i'd opt for a 944 for the son and a 951s for the dad.

Old 12-02-2003, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt V
oh that's just asking for trouble!

so, how old is your son and why does he deserve a Porsche given to him in the first place? huh???

Old 12-02-2003, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
so, how old is your son and why does he deserve a Porsche given to him in the first place? huh???
Son's 13 y/o. Great kid, loves Porsches (especially 356s and my SC). Always willing to go on drives with me and helps out when I change oil, etc. He and I walked around for hours at the German Autofest and he only complained around lunch time. Gets great grades and minds his parents (for now). I think he deserves a 30 y/o SC or 20 y/o 944 when he graduates HS and gets into a good college.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

o.k. so he passes muster! the 944 will tend to keep him out of trouble a bit more. my daughter has been asking for my 951 for the last nine years now and initially I had agreed, but just like you, I am having second thoughts.....
Old 12-02-2003, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

My son gets the 944 when he's 15 (he's 5 now....too optimistic?)

I think the margin for expensive error is a little less on the 44 since you can get used parts or a parts car cheaply. Let him learn to do it right on an NA....skip the S and 951
Old 12-02-2003, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt V
I thought we had finally got rid of you.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 12-02-2003, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Cebu
!985.5na ...transmission overhaul(shop) and front end and rt. front fender replacement after a crash..total expenditures since July 1999 to present $12,500 includes purchase price, complete 3-step complete paint (Dec 2000) and complete front end/hood and fenders repaint paint (Aug.2003), and belts. Daily driver and all systems functional. For me, not pricey for 4-plus years of driving pleasure.
94 Impala SS
Old 12-02-2003, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cebu
complete 3-step complete paint (Dec 2000) and complete front end/hood and fenders repaint paint (Aug.2003)
whodunit?
Old 12-02-2003, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
i think your mech is an idiot...
Old 12-02-2003, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by ronin
whodunit?
and how much?
Old 12-02-2003, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

i think the 944 would be a great sports car for a youngster (dont know if it would be his first by the time he finishes high school) its very well balanced and with the conservative amount of power in an N/A it would compensate for some mistakes in wet weather etc. ive never had the pleasure of driving a 911 but from what i understand they dont leave much room for error in certain situations
GO MAVS!
Old 12-03-2003, 12:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Aside from all the loyalties that exist (44s -v-11s) I think the 44 for your son is the better option. Having driven both myself, I can honestly say that the '44 is better for daily driving, not just from a reliability point of view either. The '11s are amazing if you know what you're doing and deadly if you don't.

Every young driver goes through a few years of getting used to driving, nobody can pass their test and be at the farthest reaches of their capabilities.

With that in mind, would you rather your son found is feet in your SC or in a 944? The SC is a fantastic car, but in my opinion, if it were my son, I'd rather he got used to being on the road in something a little less precious and something a little more forgiving.

Added to which, parts are cheaper and more available - handy for that first dent/scrape which all new drivers have to go through and the 944 is a good introduction to porsche ownership. - which, lets face it is never going to be simple motoring...

Maybe you could get him a '44 until he's 20 before releasing the family heirloom.
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 12-03-2003, 02:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
These cars are getting old and all old cars break. Well-maintained 944s like mine (previously my father's who was the original owner), still require repairs and maintanance. These cars are very well-built and solid but there is some quirky engineering that went into these cars.

After 4 years in college with the '44 as my only car, I decided to buy a Datsun Z as my back up car. With school and work responsibilities, I can't affort to take the risk that the 944 will run perfectly everyday. I expect two breakdowns per year, some years more some years less. You'll be ahead of the game if you are a DIY'r.

Early 83-85 944s (with the 924 interior and steel suspension parts) have signicantly cheaper parts but are less comfortable and have a weaker hvac. Something to consider especially if on a tight budget.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Other big virtue I thought about..

The 944 NA is not an "off the line" type of car. He won't get into trouble draggin his buddies. Play up the class of the whole thing instead.

The Na doesn't have much room for performance mods....Let him cut his teeth on cosmetic and stereo upgrades and tackle the problems as they come up.

Oh yeah, Make him start collecting some of his own tools. Give him the sense of worth and responsibility...Start him out with a Birthday gift of a craftsman starter set or something. Great to bring the family together.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
You guys are crazy, I'd never get my son a 944 as a first car. Get something w/abs and side curtain air bags if you can afford it. People do stupid things when you're young and not supervised, it's a part of being a teenager.

I don't know how my parents would feel if they found out two people I street raced in their car were hospitalized for days. I got good grades, respected my parents and had an affection for german cars too... There's indeed a very good reason why those insurance rates go down as one ages... Be smart.
Ahmet

Old 12-05-2003, 12:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: