Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cool Battery Box Fix-Pics/write-up

My peskey "mysterious" water in the rear passengers footwell led me to investigate the PO's battery box "fix" and my (embarassed) dynamat "fix" over the top of that..

First the Dynamat.....not the best of my ideas...Then

When I pulled up the poorly mixed fiberglass resin and the old license plate the PO used as a patch

Here's what I saw
Be Afraid....

Yes, that's right...Look closely to see my passengers carpet.....

Undaunted, just a little pissed, I start my repair..

Materials - Por-15 starter kit, thin guage aluminum, tin snips, stainless 1/4 inch screws, wire brush and a sharpie. $30us total.

Cut the metal to size and beat in the shape of the battery box

Prepped and cleaned area according to Por-15 instructions....

Pre-drilled screw holes in aluminum after marking with sharpie...POr-15'd it..

First coat of Por-15.....Then Metal with screws ...then Por-15

Two more coats of Por-15... careful to seal all edges and screws..

Big thanks to KurtV on the 911 board for leading me in the Por-15 direction....I would coat the whole car with the stuff if I could
...Just kidding.

Hope this helps you guys fix that leak once and for all!

Old 12-02-2003, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
HOLY CRAP.

NOW THATS A HOLE
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 12-02-2003, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Moral of the story ----"Do it right the first time"
Old 12-02-2003, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

JAYSUS! that before pic looks like the autopsy of Yul Brynner's lungs! very nice fix! is the POR-15 good for exterior type applications as well?
Old 12-02-2003, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
You need a catch for a hold down strap on the outside. The single bolt and edge clamp will not hold the battery.

Check out RV supplies. Can also find a main shut off for the battery.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-02-2003, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ronin
JAYSUS! that before pic looks like the autopsy of Yul Brynner's lungs! very nice fix! is the POR-15 good for exterior type applications as well?
LMAO
Old 12-03-2003, 02:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Posted a link to this on Rennlist.

Check out the comments:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?s=&postid=911497#post911497

Ooo! A circular thread!
Old 12-03-2003, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yeh, the Por-15 is supposed to work for exterior but the black will fade /not weaken in UV. I read about this after the fact in some Hotrodder books.

This stuff has a permanent place on my workbench.

SoCal - I am thinking of doing the battery relocation thing to the passenger rear well. Optima yellow. Just a litte worried about the corner weight thing. The factory hold-down for the battery is miserable not to mention exposing it to the rain.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

I really think I've missed something here, but are you planning to run without a hood??
Old 12-03-2003, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Naw ronin.... Water from the windscreen on the 83 runs directly into the battery box area, usually on the positive terminal. I somehow don't really like that idea. I wish P had put some kind of peice between the hood and the windscreen for drainage..(hmm, may be my next fabrication attempt)

I am seeking to keep my electricals clean, healthy and dry....every little bit helps.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

ahaaa. so that's what those metal plates under the rear edge of my hood are for (along with the plastic that channels the water away) looks like they did make the change you wanted later on
Old 12-03-2003, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Still have the stock plastic cover on my battery. Do need to pull the battery and reseal the area.

Rust Never Sleeps.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Are your plastic cover well fitted,screwed,or something that keep it in a place?I think mine´s the stock one,but doesn´t seems too good,it covers strictly the battery and it is loose without any screw.And i think water can go to the battery place too easily with not very heavy rain.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Nobody Special

hmmm
'89 951 Guards Red/Black Leather 69K (Winner Best Stock 944 Turbo - 944Fest 2005)
www.autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/CorysPorschePage/
Rennlist: "GOBOGIE"
Old 12-03-2003, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Seems like Porsche assumed on the early cars that if you could afford one you probably had a garage....

Does the later plastic fit on the early cars.?...I would love some rain channels up there.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

probably not, the bottom of the windshield is different

Old 12-04-2003, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: