Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Early Spoiler warpage repair started....

I just picked up the latest copy of Grassroots Motorsports and they had a great artical on fabricating component brackets out of thin metal....Idea is you put a "break" or "lip around the edges for strength.

Looks easy enough so here I begin......

Made a form out of two peices of wood screwed together..

Hammered the lip with repeated light passes

Filed the edges...............then

I am putting three new stainless bolts on each side sandwiching the plastic between the existing metal bracket and my "new" brackets....

I was amazed at how strong the peice of metal became with the addition of the break....Very easy to do too.

More pics and writeup to follow

Old 12-03-2003, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

BTW - I started with 26g galvanized cut in 1.5in strips with tin snips. Put it between the two peices of wood "form" then tightened the screws.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

TCM, I like your inventiveness!
Old 12-03-2003, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I get a kick out of learning new things. I will usually try it and decide whether or not to "farm it out" the next time. HotRodders/restorers always do some neat stuff.....

I know KurtV probably knows from the cars in the sig line...

..........I am sure you can't just go to the parts store and pick up parts for the Austin.

I like to make sure things are really broke before I pitch em'. Same problem will usually happen to the new one eventually.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Really cool. There is a lot of 944s out there that need this done.

I'll look forward to updates and the final results.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I will post the whole thing whether it turns out or not. I have just started to bolt the metal in ....very strong and almost no weight. I am probably going to have to heat the center a bit.

I have high hopes so far...If all else fails I will fab. another piece for undernieth the warped portion. I think this may bring it back in line though.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Update

Materials - 6 stainless 10mm bots and nuts

Warpage from the back

Bolts in place but not tightened yet...Straigtening nice huh?
Old 12-05-2003, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Right now it is sitting on strategically placed blocks so that the lengthwise crease in the spoiler opening is regaining its sharpness.
I think I will have to apply heat to it though.

Fixing the cracks around the front

Yes, I fused them with a soldering iron...Am going to sand and fill with epoxy I think....

Here it is from the front......getting better as I speak..

Daughter wondering "why daddy car in kitchen?"

More to come.....
Old 12-05-2003, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Great idea - I just happened to be reading "Grassroot Motorsports" last night and saw the same article on how to fabricate brackets. I was planning to fabricate an aluminum fan shroud for my TR6.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I was amazed at how easy the fab process is and how great /strong/light it turns out.

Must admit though that I have had this burning urge to work with metal for some time... i.e. welding and sheet metal fabrication on a large scale..
Old 12-05-2003, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Cute daughter.... I have a couple of rug rats myself....

Project is a great idea....

www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 12-05-2003, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: