Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry Baby Down....Need Urgent Help!!!

I was not able to start the 84 944 NA daily driver for the past couple of weeks (resorted to driving the 951):

1) There was no electrical power current whatsoever (no lights on the dash, starter would not crank).

2) I assumed it was a weak battery

3) I bought a portable jump start battery today and attempted to jump start it:

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=CPM&MfrPartNumber=PMJ8960&CategoryCode=3014

4) Used the recommended jump start procedure:
positive to positive; negative to ground

Still no electrical power current whatsoever (no lights on the dash, starter would not crank). I hear frequent posts about similar problems due to a faulty DME relay or DME unit. Can anyone help me with these questions please?

1) I checked the early 944 layout diagrams for the relays:

2) I do not see a relay for "DME relay". Would this be the "fuel pump relay" as shown in the pic in the link above?

3) How do I remove the relay....do I simply pull it out gently?

4) Could a faulty DME unit also be a cause?

5) Any other possible causes?

I would appreciate any advice on the steps for diagnosing the problem.

THANKS!!!

Last edited by andrewgoh; 12-03-2003 at 04:03 PM..
Old 12-03-2003, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I had the same problem a few months back. It turned out to be a defective battery. The kicker was that the battery was one month old. Needless to say, I exchanged it for another one and the car was fixed.

Either test the battery or take it to an auto parts store and they'll test it for you.

Check, clean and tighten the grounds too.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Absolutly no electrical in the car means that there is a big gap between the battery and the rest of the car.

Start checking the wires at the battery both large and small.

Usually it's the ground straps that cause most of the problems.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-03-2003, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Very rarely does a battery just go bad. A lot of shops will replace the batt. first because it's an easy r and r, and when it turns out to be something else they can con the owner that problem B caused batt. prob. A when this just isn't the case. However, the connection between the cells of the batt. sometimes do disconnect, or the lead between the cells and the posts. Have you arced your posts? Do what Hugh sez and check your grounds and pos. connections first. Then if nothing helps (firstly first check voltage at batt.) look into replacing your batt.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Electrical problem mantra on European cars...First Check All The Grounds. Even if it doesn't sound like a grounding problem, it's a 50/50 chance it is a ground problem.

Have you (or anybody) done recent work on the car? Check the work and see if they forgot to properly reattach a wire/fuse/relay/etc.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The DME relay is the fuel pump relay and yes, you just pull it out.

As the others have said, you have an electrical issue, not a DME relay problem.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 12-03-2003, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Guys, thanks for all your pointers. I'll check the car out again this weekend, and keep you posted!!!

Andrew
Old 12-03-2003, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Here is the conclusion....

It was a totally dead battery...registered at 2.4 amps... so dead that the portable jump start unit was of no help....

I replaced it with a new battery, and it started right up.

Unfortunately, I was hit with another gremlin....one of the rear tires went flat on me....there is a huge nail that has taken quite a liking to the poor ole tire.

Time to replace all four tires anyway! Thanks to everyone for your help!

Andrew
Old 12-06-2003, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
good to hear and sorry to hear.

i got a sidewall puncture less than a month after installing my new yoko avs es100s on my car. extra $100 gone.

Old 12-06-2003, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: