Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

Poll: Is the reflector panel Rice? Or Nice?
Poll Options
Is the reflector panel Rice? Or Nice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Feelin' Solexy

Porsche Crest Rear reflector panel update......Rice or Nice?

I've been thinking of getting this type of accessory for my beloved 944, but can't decide if I really like them or not.

On the one hand, I think they make the rear end look a little less 80's-ish, and more visibility during adverse driving conditions is always a plus. And on the cars I've seen which were thus equippped, it looked pretty good.
However, I also feel like they might be a bit ricey....You know, just another place to flash "PORCSCHE!" at the poor drivers I'm passing, and I'm already a bit self-conscious of the Porsche decal below the plate and the one cut into the spoiler. Having 3 of them seems a bit over the top.
But then again, as I understand it, these were originally a Porsche approved upgrade, so it's not like I'm sticking a gigantic MOMO sticker on my tail.
Hmmmmmmmm.......I'm undecided. What do you guys think? Rice or Nice?

Old 12-03-2003, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ds475
not bad. i wouldn't spend money on that tho...
Old 12-03-2003, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to 85944na Send a message via AIM to 85944na
I like mine a lot, it came on the car when I got it. It was a dealer installed option for a long time, I think to the tune of 600$ I don't like any of them except the ones that say PORSCHE, the turbo like above, the 944 one, and the blank one look odd to me, the letters are too big on the first two and the blank one looks empty and cheap. It's all opinion, you will find those who hate them, those who love them, and those who don't care at all. I don't think I've heard them called rice before though.

Early 85 G-red 944na, S2 transmission, Ice Shark grounds, Cibie E-Code lights, turbo rear valance, 924S gauges, Turbo S full power seats, "Porsche" door handles, Enkei Wheels.
95 Infiniti G20 dark red metallic-for sale soon
87 BMW 325ic Bronzit, stock(for now)
Old 12-03-2003, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

My 931 has one that says Turbo. Its not illuminated though, it looks original but I'm not sure if it is or not.
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 12-03-2003, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
I don't like it a whole lot, I think it dates the car. I wouldn't call it rice though as it was an option on the car. But if you like it then do it, it is your car.
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 12-03-2003, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I've got it but don't really like it. To remove it I need to fill and paint 4 holes.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm agin it!

Emanuel
Old 12-03-2003, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I Like !!!!

I too have been thinking of getting one. But it's a little different

Here's the EBAY info

One thing that it will do is relocate the liscence plate light which will ELIMINATE the " Gone in 30 Seconds " problem...

Don
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 12-03-2003, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

as 85944na said, it's a matter of opinion. I don't care for them. they rank right up there with porsche-logo embossed side-mirror bras and seat covers. I already know I'm driving a Porsche and don't need to repeat myself
Old 12-03-2003, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I do not mind having the rear panel on my 951, as long as:

(1) the panel is in a darker shade of red to match the garnet red & dark red tail lens
(2) not the illuminated by bulbs behind the panel...looks linda 80s cheesy
(3) the original "Porsche" decal that runs along the rear width has to go....otherwise, it seems like an overkill to have two Porsche scripts at the rear end

On my 951....the 1st PO installed the panel, and the 2nd PO removed the panel. The 2nd PO sold the car to me, but he lost the panel...

So, the rear end of my 951 is peppered with a bunch of holes in the pic below.

I ordered another used panel through Ebay, but I realised the required holes for this particular panel does not match up...so this means having to drill additional holes.

My dilemma is whether I want to do this...or simply patch the holes up when I do a re-paint in the future.

I am leaning towards patching the holes up.....

P/S. Thank goodness my other car (944 NA) has an unmolested ass.

Last edited by andrewgoh; 12-04-2003 at 12:23 AM..
Old 12-03-2003, 11:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Well Ive got one on my car and I like it,as long as it dosnt light up, thats cheesy as hell, but I do plan on removing it when I get the car painted, who knows if I will put it back on or not.
928 OC member
PCA member
Old 12-04-2003, 12:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
"On the one hand, I think they make the rear end look a little less 80's-ish..."

Go see an optician!

If there's one thing that will make a 944 look more 80's it's one of these! I'm not sayin' it's a bad thing - the 80's are very 'in' at the moment.

And I agree with Ronin, do you really need to say porsche three times on the back of one of the most distinctive cars on the road?

As you can probably tell I don't like 'em. but don't let it stop you, each to their own... My back lights are black and red - most people hate that, I love it.
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 12-04-2003, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to RichMason
Since you are looking for personal opinions, I'll give you mine...I don't like them. I also don't like the cheesy P.O.R.S.C.H.E decal below the lights so my car doesn't have one. 'Turbo' is the only badge or logo on the back of my car. Now, for 'rice', I'm thinking of replacing the black Turbo badge with a chrome one on my Guards red car...I miss my 69 911 and need a little flash!

87 951 for sale $5500
Old 12-04-2003, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I actually like the one on the right that Don posted.

My car had one too, at some time. I wouldn't mind putting one back on it just to eliminate the holes the P.O. put in the back of my car. Besides, they seemed to of lost the license plate bracket that belongs back there, and the lights for the license plate.... So now my plate just sits in the factory location scratching the molding below it.
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 12-04-2003, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
I dont care for the converson for the simple fact that you have to drill holes in the car to mount it. What a great place for rust to start. On sheet metal the only parts that are galvanized are the front and back, not the center. When one drills through the sheet metal the unprotected steel is left exposed. This doesn't only go for our P-cars but all makes. I have seen plenty of trucks with aftermarket large mirrors installed for towing and where they are mounted is the first place they corrode. Then there is the question of how to repair the holes when the next owner decides to remove the pannel. It seems like some folks are dealing with this problem now.
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 12-04-2003, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I have one I took off my '84. It has places to install lights, but mine was not equipped with lights. It says "944", and matches the tailights. If anyone wants it, make me an offer and pay the shipping and I'll send it to you. I can send you a digital pic if you want (through PM)

P
Old 12-04-2003, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
My car came with the center panel:

While at first, I did not like it, it has grown on me, and I'm happy with the way it looks.

For those of you saying you don't like the '80's look the panel gives our cars, you should really take another look at your car: the WHOLE CAR has an '80's look to it! Don't want that look, then perhaps you should consider a 968 or Boxster!

-Z.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 12-04-2003, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

One question. After installing this, where will you put lights to illuminate your rear license plate at night? Seems to me that you would have to run new wiring and cut into the bumper. You WILL get at least stopped and probably ticketed if you do not have lights illuminating your rear license plate.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 12-04-2003, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Was looking at one in the late 70's that had a recess for the US size license plate and extra lenses on each side that matched the tail lights. Looked like it was factory.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

now that sounds like something I might consider

Old 12-04-2003, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: