Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to SuperDave Send a message via Yahoo to SuperDave
injector test

how do you check an injector on a 85.5 944 n/a? need to test each one to find the bad ones

Old 12-04-2003, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Check FRWilk.com

I Think......with engine on and clips on each injector loosened, pull them one at a time and see if there is any change in rpms etc. Should be a drop in rpms. If you pull one and nothing happens you should bench test it....see site above.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
*WARNING: THIS PROCEDURE IS VERY DANGEROUS! GASOLINE IS VERY FLAMABLE, AND ATOMIZED FUEL IS EXPLOSIVE! USE EXTREME CARE AND DUE CAUTION!*

You can pull the fuel rail with the injectors still attached. Then either

• Put cups under each injector and crank the motor. When you are done, check the cups and see if there is an equal or any fuel in each cup.
Or
  • unplug and connect two jumpers to a 9v batt. touch the jumpers to each post of the injector. This will open the injector. You'll have to run the pump to rebuild pressure between each test.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Two years ago I took all mine out and attached a hose filled with fuel then hooked up to an air compressor set at 50 psi. I blew them at a piece a cardboard after attaching a battery charger to them which is AC causing them to open and close. They all dumped the same pattern in the same number of seconds.

I then did it again squirting them into a test tube. Amount looked same.

This is not really scientific, but the car runs well except for puking oil out of its pan gasket which I'm on this weekend.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 12-05-2003, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Checking flow and spray patterns is important. If the little flattened end is broken off of the pin you will get a stream of gas and not a fine spray. Not good.

Use the same procedure to slip a hose filled with solvent over the delivery end of the injector and use shop air to drive the solvent backwards through the injector. Don't need any 12 volts as this is force the pintel open against the return spring. Mostly flushes the filter screens on the feed side.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-05-2003, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

so far we have tested just about everything... DME, all grounds, errr.. still have the run and stall problem..... but will run on 3 cylinders if you unplug one injector.. and it doesnt matter which one
Old 12-05-2003, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
FPR

High pressure. Not enough magnetic force in the injectors to open unless you take one off line and thus increase the current to the others.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-05-2003, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

i put a brand new one on.. didnt change anything.... i have replaced the fuel pump, dme relay, and fuel pressure regulator... only thing on the fuel system i havent replaced is the fuel damper.. would that cause high fuel pressure?
Old 12-06-2003, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
I think SoCal hit the nail again. If you unplug 1 and runs with all 4 plugged in won't not enough voltage to pull all 4.

Remove and clean the engine ground strap. Scrape the paint away where attaches to the firewall and clean. After re-attachind spray down with "battery terminal protectant".

Pick up a "noid" light at auto parts store for bosch injectors to monitor the pulses as well.

Check for vacuum at the fpr and fpd

Seeing as you went ahead and replaced the pump, how about the filter? should do it at the same time. It is also wise to replace the fpr and fpd as a set as well.

Rick

has never left garage (yet)
Old 12-06-2003, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: