Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to tkrefeld
Semi-Synthetic Oil

Is this stuff legit? Technically you could use a bottle of Dino and put one drop of syn and it would be semi-synthetic. Does anyone know more about this stuff. The Castrol semi-synthetic interests me and it is only $2.79. I know it's not Mobil 1 but is it actually any "better" than plain dino or just thinner?? Any schools of thought on this?

Old 12-04-2003, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes, one drop of synthetic, and you can sell "semi synthetic", so beware. You can't go wrong with Mobil-1, see thread below. Forget the semi synthetics, IMHO

regards, P

Here is a great chart, look how Mobil-1 flows down to colder temp than some 5-weight dino oils.
http://www.ac427.com/html/cobra_32.shtml

This thread references Amsoil, which I really recommend the gear lube. Amsoil tests out better than Mobil, but both are "the gold standard" when it comes to oil.
Synthetic oil & gear lube recommendations

Last edited by ..P; 12-04-2003 at 05:51 PM..
Old 12-04-2003, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
I stay away from semi-synthetics, they claim it has all the benefits of synthetic, but it does not, it is (usually) not pourable at -40C, that's important for us Canadians! There is very little regulation on semi-synthetic's, for sure they are better than a conventional oil, but they have a very small percentage of synthetic oil in them. For the money, switch to a synthetic, change it every 15000km. It's safe as long as you keep up on the filter. If you have a paper filter then change it at 7000k or so. If you usually run a conventional oil, then there is no harm in switching to a semi-syn oil. They are not thinner, simply more refined, the particles are smaller, and the amount of parafin in them is much lower. That's one of the biggest killers in the cold, the parafin will solidify causing crystals inside the oil.

Buy my parts!
Old 12-04-2003, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Its actually pretty scary seeing how badly 10W30 flows at -40..... or even good old 20W50 (what they use south of the border)....
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 12-04-2003, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You could, of course, make your own blend of semi-synthetic and you could control the ratio--say half full synthetic and half regular dino. However, in the big picture I must say I believe that if you can afford the car, the insurance, the gas, etc., then you ought to just go for the synthetic oil of your choice and quit worrying about it.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

But...are there really any problems using a full Dino oil,say 20W50?porsche guys urge me to use that.
I mean changing it at about 5000km, and using it never below about -5 celsius.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I've been driving surplused cop cars for a number of years and have spoken to a couple of the mechanics in the city of Spokane, WA vehicle maintenance dept where I bought the cars.
They ran 100% synthetic 100,000 miles in a 1993 Crown Vic and then tore it down. What they saw surprised them. No varnish and virtually no wear. They are sold. Now, from a cost end, synthetics didn't matter a whole lot because when they surplused a car it didn't really matter how much utility was left in the vehicle.
I don't know if they run synthetics at all now, I'm just repeating what a mechanic told me.
I had the last one, a '93, that I sold at 185K for what I paid for it 4 years earlier. Wheels, tires, too many front rotors and regular oil and filter changes, one tuneup(only really needed one plug wire) were the bulk of the expenses. Faster than my '83 944 with the auto tranny and great handling for a big car, but nothing like the 944.
I use synthetics in everything unless the synthetics result in more oil leakage or consumption. My daughter had an 89 Mazda RX7 that used synthetic oil almost like gasoline. Went back to dino oil in it and no problems.
I put synthetic transmission oil in my 944 and caused a leak in one of the lines to the oil cooler up front. I will fix the leak and keep the synthetic in the tranny.
No varnish buildup would be worth it alone. Use the synthetic.

My kids say my hair matches the color of the car! Who's getting old?
Old 12-05-2003, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 338WIN

I use synthetics in everything unless the synthetics result in more oil leakage or consumption. My daughter had an 89 Mazda RX7 that used synthetic oil almost like gasoline. Went back to dino oil in it and no problems.
Thatīs exactly what happens to me,and thatīs why they urge me to use dino.So even considering all the synthetic benefits,with all the respect,iīm switching to dyno.
One question,how much oil your daughterīs rx7 ate before and after switching?

Iīm also considering to add an oil additive,but read in another thread that might not be good.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

My tests show synthetics run 25 degrees cooler in my air cooled airplane and motorcycle. Since synthetic is slipperier than reqular oil and drains off the parts first, the rule of thumb for airplanes is only use synthetics if you fly at least once a week. I imageine the same would be true for driving. Rust.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Manute,
It didn't eat any dino oil before or after. But it went through the synthetic in about a week! It really was amazing. She called me and told me that her oil light had come on. Filled it up with dino and not another problem until someone decided they like it better and stole it! Never has been recovered. Must be chopped or in another country. We have a lot of cars that get loaded into cargo containers and shipped out. It was a super clean little car, many many people thought it was a fairly new car. A lot like the 944. It had more power than my '83 944 with auto tranny.
I'm way off topic now, but in the few months I've been driving my 944 I've been amazed how many people ask or comment about it. And, mind you, I'm a 50 year old gray haired 6'6" 255 pound conservative Christian guy happily married and father of three beautiful girls and I'm amazed how many women and girls comment on the car. They sure didn't talk to me when I was driving my Crown Victoria and when I drive the Isuzu Trooper, or even my daughter's Jeep Wrangler. And my 944 is pretty plain with cookie cutters and a dent in the right front fender from the little old lady who owned it before me.
The longer I drive it the more I like it. I sure could see getting a turbo at some point.

My kids say my hair matches the color of the car! Who's getting old?
Old 12-06-2003, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Iīm sorry your daughterīs car was stolen,mazdaīs are really good...I hope when i switch to dino iīd have no problems too...
Getting a bit more off topic,you can enjoy a turbo if you are so kind of introducing one of your beautiful daughters to me iīm a gentleman,you know?
Seriously speaking,I have the same sensation with my car,with people commenting and looking at it like it was new...I really recommend you to buy a turbo if you really like performance and a little bit modern design (at least in the interior)You would notice itīs not only an eyecandy car,but a great performance machine that can beat most of the cars youīll find out there.Just be prepared to the extra problems and care she needs.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Synthetic should not cause your engine to leak. The biggest thing is that (depending on brand) it will sort of adhere to surfaces, and through something that I understand to be similar to capillary action with water, will seep through some seals on engines. This will happen mainly on older engines with older seals. My 944 actually stopped leaking when I switched to a synthetic. Personally, I swear by synthetic, and have run it on every car I have owned. It has been my best decision ever. It will reduce cylinder head temperatures, cold engine wear, etc. I have seen piles of test results on how synthetic is better than dino, particularily, I saw one test, similar to the Olds IIID test, that ran an engine for 500 hours, under a 200HP load, only synthetic's survived. On top of that, the oil (After this test) was still better than dino, fresh out of the bottle.
Convinced me.

Buy my parts!
Old 12-07-2003, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thatīs maybe correct,but....if it seeps through the seals,and then leak...that demonstrates it causes (indirectly) leaks,that you can avoid using dino.Yes,you avoid that leaks and loose a lot of good characteristics....thatīs why people we usually assume some leaks and keep using synth.
If iīm switching is because i need to try different approaches to see if oil consumptions and leaks change,there is no risk if you change the oil soon,and not always a car needs the same type of oil,sometimes it seems that the benefits and disadvantages are different for each perosn and type of oil.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

synthetic has smaller and regular sized molecules.

Dino has irregular sized molecules.

This is what makes synthetic flow so well. It is also why (if you ALREADY HAVE a mechanical problem, like a bad rubber seal or loose gasket, then) synthetic will leak more than dino.

Synthetic will not cause the motor to leak. It just leaks out faster if you already have a problem. I suggest tightening up the gaskets a tad if you have a leaker, there is no reason why a 944 can't be tight.

check this thread for more info
Oil spec and performance ratings

P

Last edited by ..P; 12-08-2003 at 03:58 PM..
Old 12-08-2003, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
..... the turbo I am taking apart right now has been run with dyno oil by myself and by the prior owner (20w-50).

There is so much sludge in this engine, oil galleys etc.... I can't tell you if its due to the oil or not or the excessive temperatures run by the turbo, but in comparison I tore down my NA last year that was run with synthetic in the last 30K and there was no where near as much sludge...... Both cars have approximately the same mileage +150K

I am still cleaning engine parts .... yuckkk.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 12-08-2003, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

My N\A had never seen anything other than dyno juice and when I tore it down it was absolutly spotless other than a film of golden oil. I was pretty amazed.

1994 Grand Cherokee
6inch Lift, 33" TSL'S
Old 12-08-2003, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Iīm with you,P, synth is not causing my engine leaks,but it makes visible another problem i have already...The fact is that using dino,maybe things get better.Iīve heard people that saw a lot of benefits when switching to dino...maybe my problem is only viscosity, i use 5W50 synth,even with the high temperatures here.But I need to try something radical,i think if i only switch to a,say 10W50 synth,i wouldnīt see all the changes it mades.

I read your post,and checked your link...i agree with it,but unfortunately,most of the oils compared are not available here,like the Amsoil,and most of the others.Only Castrol and Mobil 1 are available...but my BP,for example,is not compared.And,for example,i read few times here that Castrol GTX was the best oil for that car,and thatīs a natural oil (i assume natural is dino,correct me if iīm wrong)

Finally,your conclusion is to use the oil that you feel better for your engine and climate...Here,with the high temperatures,and engine worn,I think i should try another one.Porsche guys from my worshop also says that,and they know very well that cars,and the conditions here.
If I donīt see improvements,i switch to synth again...but i think itīs good to experiment.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Iīm with you,P, synth is not causing my engine leaks,but it makes visible another problem i have already...The fact is that using dino,maybe things get better.Iīve heard people that saw a lot of benefits when switching to dino...maybe my problem is only viscosity, i use 5W50 synth,even with the high temperatures here.But I need to try something radical,i think if i only switch to a,say 10W50 synth,i wouldnīt see all the changes it mades.

I read your post,and checked your link...i agree with it,but unfortunately,most of the oils compared are not available here,like the Amsoil,and most of the others.Only Castrol and Mobil 1 are available...but my BP,for example,is not compared.And,for example,i read few times here that Castrol GTX was the best oil for that car,and thatīs a natural oil (i assume natural is dino,correct me if iīm wrong)

Finally,your conclusion is to use the oil that you feel better for your engine and climate...Here,with the high temperatures,and engine worn,I think i should try another one.Porsche guys from my worshop also says that,and they know very well that cars,and the conditions here.
If I donīt see improvements,i switch to synth again...but i think itīs good to experiment.

Old 12-08-2003, 11:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: