Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Let's go shooting.

Sway bar end rubbers ...

... are a total bastard to slip on. I couldn't seem to find info on a gentle way of forcing the sods onto the tapered ends - really incredibly tight (even with washing up liquid on them). In the end I had to get a set of mole grips, clamp them onto the beginning of the larger diameter section (to create a ledge), put the rubber (in aluminium bracket) onto the end and then press the bugger on using a bench vice. Is there a better way? Surely that's not how they do them in a Porker workshop?

BTW molegrips (so called because they look like mole traps I suppose) are vice grips over there (pointing roughly in the direction of the Americas).

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 12-04-2003, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
yessir,

They are a bit of a pain without a press. I have had mine out including the A-brackets for 6 months now and tried pounding with a 4# hammers and no good. Juvy offered the use of his press so when I get the mood and time to start anew I'll give it a shot.

Rick
has never left garage (yet)
Old 12-04-2003, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I am not a very small man and I was a pumpin and a sweatin for a good hour when I changed the bushings.

One Ice tea job became a three beer job.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TheCooler
Silicone grease and a basketball hoop poll to push it against.
-2007 Ford PIMP(free)star ...company car....
-1999.5 Jetta VR6
Old 12-05-2003, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
least common denominator

There are a variety of sway bar sizes... are you sure you got the correct size bushing? I'm no weight lifter but I was able to install mine with out removing the sway bar by using lots of soap.
A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

What is the reason for using soap instead of oil or grease?
Old 12-05-2003, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

grease is oil based, will attack rubber and even poly over time
Old 12-05-2003, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Yup... its a work out....
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 12-05-2003, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to RichMason
I'm replacing all of my front sway bar bushings this weekend. I'm hoping that the cold weather will make it easier (maybe its the other way around?)...

87 951 for sale $5500
Old 12-05-2003, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by repoman
grease is oil based, will attack rubber and even poly over time
ahh ok its coming together now, hence why they say to avoid spilling PS fluid on belts etc

RichMason: warm bushing on cold sway bar would provide the most clearence. that makes me think: you could prolly pop these things in a 200F oven to expand them and then slide them on a little easier.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by scottmandue
There are a variety of sway bar sizes... are you sure you got the correct size bushing? I'm no weight lifter but I was able to install mine with out removing the sway bar by using lots of soap.
The inner rubbers went on very easily - it was the outers that were tighter than a very tight thing that's tight. Maybe YOU had the wrong outers (although I thought these were the same throughout) as everyone else seems to have had the same trouble.

Old 12-05-2003, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPants

RichMason: warm bushing on cold sway bar would provide the most clearence. that makes me think: you could prolly pop these things in a 200F oven to expand them and then slide them on a little easier.
I'm not sure heating the rubbers is a good idea - it may damage their integrity (the release agent will make the oven smell something cruel too).

When I was struggling to put the rubbers on using brute force it proved so bloody hard (as in not having it at all) that I am convinced I heard a slight clicking noise - it was either a vertebrae or a hernia starting to creak to the max, either way I called it a day. Fcuk that for a game of soldiers!

Once I latched onto locking the grips onto the bar, sticking the rubber on the end and squeezing the whole ensemble (with a drop of Fairy washing up liquid) in a bench vice it actually went on really easily. Just a shame that it took me so long to twig to the idea.

Last edited by Dark Skies; 12-05-2003 at 04:18 PM..
Old 12-05-2003, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Skies
I'm not sure heating the rubbers is a good idea -it may damage their integrity.
yea its a gamble. i couldnt find any expansion coefficients or yeild strengths of rubber. they could probably go up to 130F safely since the air gets that hot in some places
Old 12-05-2003, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
if you cant get them on their the wrong ones. there are 2 or 3 different sizes. porsche special order usually. i went thru all this all ready.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

It's true that there are a fair few different sizes of sway bar and consequently the inner rubbers (off the hanging brackets) have varying IDs - however I believe that the end rubbers that fit in the aluminium brackets bolted to the control arms are the same size throughout (the end of the bar is machined down quite noticeably). In any event I bought the lot from Porsche using my VIN number and as the inners fitted fine I'm pretty sure they gave me the correct end fittings too. The end rubbers are the ones that do the real work so I'm guessing they need to be pretty damn snug.

http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=23&c=4 )

Last edited by Dark Skies; 12-05-2003 at 05:07 PM..
Old 12-05-2003, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

instead of heating in oven, drop in hot water
Old 12-06-2003, 01:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

You are correct, the outer bushings are all the same size, the inner ones are different depending on the diameter of the sway bar.

Always had good luck with hot water, soap, or a dab of silicone lubricant to get them on.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 12-06-2003, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I phoned my mechanic mate when I did mine and asked if there was an easy way to get those blighters on. There isn't it's just brute force and ignorance.

I found it much easier by jacking up the wheel seperately and lowering the mounting on to the sway bar although when i did it, the jack gave way and the wheel sprung down with the full force of the springs. Fortunately I had just moved my head, which is why I live to tell the tale! Probably not the recommended way to do it but after 2 hours of trying, the jack giving way actually got the thing on there.

If I had to do it again I would employ a Morrissey fan to do it for me....
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 12-08-2003, 02:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to RichMason
A morrissey fan? Sounds vaguely pejorative. Watch out there are still a few of us out here . Seriously though, this seems like a UK thing. My sway bar end pieces went on in seconds with some silicone - just spun them around and around while pushing them in. Maybe the later cars are different or I just have copius amounts of leaking fluids on my bar! I'll count myself lucky and know that there will days that will not go so smoothly.

Cheers!

87 951 for sale $5500
Old 12-08-2003, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Quote:
Originally posted by flangermog
I phoned my mechanic mate when I did mine and asked if there was an easy way to get those blighters on. There isn't it's just brute force and ignorance.

I found it much easier by jacking up the wheel seperately and lowering the mounting on to the sway bar although when i did it, the jack gave way and the wheel sprung down with the full force of the springs. Fortunately I had just moved my head, which is why I live to tell the tale! Probably not the recommended way to do it but after 2 hours of trying, the jack giving way actually got the thing on there.

If I had to do it again I would employ a Morrissey fan to do it for me....
Sounds like you're into the whole Morrisey suicidal kick to me!

It's easier to just remove the whole bar and put the rubbers on at the workbench. In the end I found my workaround (using the vice as a makeshift press) the best apporoach - went on very easily once I'd twigged. By the way, the best way to do this in future is to have the front wheels on ramps rather than jacked up (on AXLE STANDS). That way the control arms are pre-loaded for the correct positioning of the sway bar rubbers when the bar mountings are tightened.

Old 12-08-2003, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: