Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Mein Gott!

Garage
Later dash defrost light

Was driving home at night this week and noticed that the small illuminated defrost "icon" on my (later style) dash was out. This weekend I'm gonna pull the oval dash piece and see what is back there to try and replace the tiny bulb(?)

It's just a small detail thing, so has anyone had to replace their bulb for this? Is it even worth it, or a real PITA??

Old 12-04-2003, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Had to replace mine - you can get to it after removing the vent.

Bulb is available at any auto parts store.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 12-04-2003, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
will I have to disconnect the speedo piece? If so, is there a way to do this carefully?
Old 12-05-2003, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

On my 944S you have to pull the steering wheel and remove 6 screws that secure the vents and gage frame. The gages then can be removed by removing 4 screws and disconnecting 3 sets of wires to the back of the gage cluster. The speedo is electrical so no cable to disconnect there. I have no air bag so the steering wheel removal is a snap. I don't remember you saying what kind of car you are working on. It's no big deal on my 944S.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
its an '87 944S as well. Although I simply do NOT plan on removing the entire guage cluster in order to access the defrost bulb. Maybe its just not worth it after all. Anyways, the car is buried in snow as I lok at it out the window here in Pittsburgh. Maybe a project for Sunday as they are calling for a thaw..............
Old 12-05-2003, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
It's just a few screws to remove (to get to the defrost light)...
Ahmet
Old 12-06-2003, 12:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I stand corrected. The gage cluster does not have to come out.... Just the grill and grill frame. Remove the steering wheel, and 6 screws will do it. The horn pad will snap right off. Just pull it toward you. Very simple fix.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Just as an FYI, on a non airbag car, you can pull it out w/out removing the wheel, but it's a bit tight.
Ahmet
Old 12-06-2003, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Where's this defrost light, I have seen no such contraption on my car... is it a standard item? or a US only item? maybe I need a new bulb....

( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 12-08-2003, 02:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: