Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

original coolant hose or is something changed?

So I took away the hose which goes from the waterpump to the "coolant box" (Sorry, cant find the right word).
Its the hose which is fardest down on the coolant box and which is coming up from below to the waterpump.
It looked like the hose was broken, since someone had taken a lot of tape on it, on one place.
It was "broken" and repaired with a steel tube, where the "two" hoses where put together. Initially I thought, this is easy. I just go and buy a standard hose but then I noticed that the hose diameters where different on the ends. The difference was about 4-6mm.
Now, is that an original hose which is broken, just so that they can fit it on different connectors or has some one, some time changed some part, as the waterpump to an not original part and noticed that it wont fit and fixed it like this?

hope you understand what I mean!

http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Valley/3424/porsche
Old 12-04-2003, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The hose from the waterpump to the radiator is specifically made for the 944. It must be special ordered. It's about $10-$20 in the US.

If not installed correctly this hose will rub on the water pump pulley/belt. It will eventually develop a hole. This is what probably happened to the previous owner. Instead of fixing it properly, he just spliced it with a pipe and tape. This is exactly what happened to my car.

Buy the correct part and install it carefully. I also recommend wrapping it with a layer or two of tape. Inspect the tape every month for signs of chaffing.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

AFJuvat says this is one of the most stressed hoses in the coolant system.

It does have a very unique shape and flare. I would only mess with the special order part (and I am known for improvising on many things).

--"If not installed correctly this hose will rub on the water pump pulley / belt."-- ???????

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/944M/por_944M_waterc_main.htm

That hose shouldn't be anywhere near a pully or a belt.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Except that smile has a 924

Smile: Ja, ich denke, dass der Schlauch falsch repariert wurde. Ich denke, dass Sie den Schlauch durch einen neuen von einem Porsche Zentrum gekauften Schlauch ersetzen müssen. Ich füge ein Bild des 924 Wasserkühlsystems bei, so dass Sie den Schlauch identifizieren können.

Ich erinnere mich an das Jahr nicht Ihr Auto wurde gebaut, so sende ich ein Bild vom Musterjahr 1980
Die welche Zahl auf dem Bild Ihr schlechter Schlauch ist?

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 12-06-2003, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
My editor has had a few too many vodka martinis. He missed my mistake. TCMdocs944, good catch.

It doesn't rub on the water pump, but the power steering pump/belt. It will rub a hole in that hose very quickly. Being located at the low point of the system and at the output of the water pump, this can be very disasterous.

Again, put a layer or two of duct tape around it so you can monitor any rubbing before it damages the hose.

AFJuvat is dreaming of Fraulines driving in Porsches again. Can anybody translate?

Last edited by divezic; 12-06-2003 at 08:16 AM..
Old 12-06-2003, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sorry, Smile is from Sweden, based on conversations he and I have had before, we both speak German - a fair comprimise between English - Swedish

Translation:

Smile, Yes, I think your hose was repaired incorrectly. You will have to go to a Porsche dealer and buy a new hose. I've attached a picture of the 924 water cooling system. I was not sure what year you have so the picture is from a 1980 924. what number is the hose you are talking about.

AFJuvat

Last edited by AFJuvat; 12-06-2003 at 08:11 AM..
Old 12-06-2003, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Danke.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ess ist Schlauch nummer sieben.

Dankes furs bild AFJuvat!
Habe baujahr 79.

Ich werde beim Porscheverkaufer anfragen.

http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Valley/3424/porsche
Old 12-08-2003, 01:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Keine Probleme.

AFJuvat

Old 12-08-2003, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

after replacing my hose I carefully routed it and then jacketed it with a piece of plastic, corrogated wiring harness loom.

this problem is not unique to 944s; my Chevy truck did same

Old 12-08-2003, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: