Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to ds475
Clear engine hoses

does anyone know of any clear tubes you could use for the engine hoses? i thought it would be cool to have clear coolant hoses. then you could always see the condition of your coolant. also the other hoses too...

is there any manufacture of hoses like this?
could this work?

Old 12-05-2003, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hmmmmm,

Seems like they would discolor very quickly..Interesting Idea though.

I am going to change all of my hoses possible to AN fittings and stainless braided.

Trouble with coolant hoses is the unique shapes and flares....
Old 12-05-2003, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I've seen guys do auto engine conversions on homebuilt aircraft with clear coolant hoses. I'm not sure of the exact hose, but I believe they used the clear hose with the criss-crossing fiber reinforcement that is found in hardware stores.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Check out www.ryanherco.com.

Has lots of hose goodies.

I've used them for over 20 years for chemical processing.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-05-2003, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
I used surgical air tubing for my small vacuum lines. I think it looks kinda cool, but it's different, but you can blow smoke in them and see it go through and if you have a leak it's easier to spot, IMO. I have my FPR and my Dampner hooked up like that. and the purge. Course my G-ma is on O2 so I have lots of rubber hose. They bring her new every time they fill the tank. every other week.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

todwic

we having a group buy ??? lol - great idea so
Old 12-05-2003, 11:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

also, i thought this would be cool, because you could easily tell if you need to bleed your upper coolant hose.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yes, it can be done on some of the upper coolant hoses. I don't think you would have much luck with the lower radiator to waterpump hose.

I would definately get the braided hose.

Another thing to consider would be the ability of the clear hose to resist heat and oil\power steering fluid.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 12-06-2003, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

oil/power steering fluid corrodes some rubbers?
Old 12-06-2003, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
You can get teflon lined chemical tubing.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-06-2003, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

i was definately considering the tubing with inter-molded braid. do you think i would be able to just buy feet of this tubing and not have to buy bulk?

SoCal how much does this stuff cost?
Old 12-06-2003, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by todwic
I used surgical air tubing for my small vacuum lines. I think it looks kinda cool, but it's different, but you can blow smoke in them and see it go through and if you have a leak it's easier to spot, IMO. I have my FPR and my Dampner hooked up like that. and the purge. Course my G-ma is on O2 so I have lots of rubber hose. They bring her new every time they fill the tank. every other week.
that's a pretty cool idea! I can already see my next weekend project gelling......
Old 12-06-2003, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

STOP!!! Surgical O2 tubing is not ment for automotive use. It can not take any kind of heat. The heat that comes off an automotive engine will cause it to collapse. The reason they bring todwic's g-ma new tubing every other week is because the tubing breaks down under any kind of ultra violet light/and or heat. We replace our clear suction tubing in the O.R. after every surgical case because this stuff is made for one patient use only. After several hours of use this tubing is well know to collapse. Get that stuff off your car ASAP!

1991 944S2 Rally #951 Rally-America.com
Old 12-07-2003, 12:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

thhhhpoilthhhport!

Old 12-07-2003, 01:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: