Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Removal of CV joints

I'm trying to remove my cv joints from the car, but the 6 bolts that have to be loosened seem to have completly worn out. I can't get them out with normal internally splined tool that i have, it's completly useless. What should i do now? Any good tips or experience with this problem?

Old 12-06-2003, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Are the bolts completely stripped out?

If so, try the following. clean out the heads of the bolts completely. then try tapping your tool back into the bolt head again - making sure it is seated completely.

Still no success: you will need to use some sort of extraction tool to remove the bolts - either one you can drive over the bolt head, or one you can drive into the stripped out opening.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 12-06-2003, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Almost completely, it seems somebody tried and then slipped a couple of times and gave up. Either way, when i try it myself with the correct tool it started slipping as well, so i stopped trying.

What do you mean by tapping the tool back? The material is worn so i can't really retap it.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sorry, I meant tapping the tool you use to remove the bolt - tap it in with a hammer or wrench to make sure it is seated all the way in the bolt. Many times the bolt is caked with dirt - keeping the tool from being inserted all the way in the bolt.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 12-06-2003, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
If that stripped, pick up a set of "easy outs" screw extractors at your local hardware store. Depending of how bad the heads it is your choice for the fluted or spiral type. The spiral type has a greater contact area to extract a bolt.

Rick
has never left garage (yet)
Old 12-06-2003, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

so that would mean drilling a hole in the bolt and the extracting it with those tools you just pointed out? Or is this some othert method?
Old 12-06-2003, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
no,no,no,

You just bang them in with a hammer. The spirals are left justified and as you turn the extractor counter clockwise they dig into the bolt where the spline tool would have.

You can purchase a set that can take most all bolts or take a same size bolt and match it up to the correct extractor and just get the 1.

Rick
has never left garage (yet)
Old 12-06-2003, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

How about vise grips? Worked for me. THen I replaced them with new.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yeah i tried them as well, but they don't seem to get any grip at all on the head of the bolt (which is round).
Old 12-06-2003, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Quote:
Originally posted by arnebret
Yeah i tried them as well, but they don't seem to get any grip at all on the head of the bolt (which is round).
If none of these options seem like your cup o tea, and you have access to a welder you can do the following: find/buy/borrow/steal some nuts that will almost fit over the head of your striped cheesehead. Metric, standard, polish, it doesn't matter. Drive the nut onto the stripped bolt (hereafter to be refered to as "A") tearing the threads out of the donor nut (gonna be called "B"). Just enough to where it's seated good and proper. Weld the inside of B onto A. Remove with proper wrench.

The seating of B "wakes" the threads of A up (see Clark's Garage) and the head of welding will, I think, cure all that ails you. Remember you're by the gas tank. Make sure you have no fuel leaks or you will have more problems than a clackety cv joint. Unplug the battery and your DME before you weld on the car.

'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Sounds like someone mistook your bolts for regular cap heads and screwed them up.

Being a brute force type of a guy I'd get myself a cold chisel forged from hexagonal bar with an edge that was slightly larger than the diameter of the internal width from spline to opposite spline. Drive it in as deep as it would go and then put a spanner (a wrench if you speak American) on the chisel and turn it.

If you can't find a chisel that would allow the above you could try cutting a slot in the top of the bolt head with a really sharp cold chisel and then applying an impact driver with a slot-head bit. You only need to get it to break the bite, thereafter you can use the vise grips.

Probably best to begin by spraying the threaded ends of the bolts and the heads and leave them to soak for a while before you begin the assault.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."

Last edited by Dark Skies; 12-06-2003 at 07:21 PM..
Old 12-06-2003, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I've used the channel lock method with 90% success. A real channel lock with the hardened teeth.

Other wise I cut off the head of the bolt with a dremel tool.

Never had more than one or possibly two that are this damaged. If all of the heads have to be cut off then you will have to pry out the CV body and cut the bolts close to the stub axles to get the assembly out.

At least you didn't have to worry about them coming loose.

New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-06-2003, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: