Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to neildeshpande
<944> R&R Shift Lever Bearing?

Gruppe:

I just got the shift lever bearing in the mail and would like to put it in shortly to try and reduce shifter slop. Any pointers on how to remove the lever, any gotchas, etc., would be appreciated. Thanks!

Neil Deshpande
Old 12-06-2003, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
After 21 years on the road my 83's bottom shifter bushing is still tight. Now the pin was totally shot!

Just don't drop the bolts!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-06-2003, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hugh:

Where can I get more information on this? Basically, I'd like to recondition the shifter. The bearing was plastic and the cheapest part so I started there.

Neil Deshpande
Old 12-06-2003, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Been a post about it.

Used a 3/8" x 2" hex head bolt and two jam nuts to replace the stock stud. Guess $1.27 in fasteners is cheaper than a $30 shift lever. Besides it's more fun to know you can do it yourself.

Basically you grind off the head of the pin then knock out the rest from the shifter leaving the hole.

You have to grind the head of the bolt down to half it's thickness or it will hit the sides of the tunnel opening.

Slip one of the stock spring washers on the bolt.

Slip the bolt through the end of the shift link, slip the second spring washer on, thread a jam nut on it, stick this through the shifter and thread the second jam nut on.

The idea is to have the end of the shifter linkage just a tad snug against the spring washers with the first nut then tighten the second nut against the shift lever and the first nut to hold the assembly on the shifter.

I had to cut off a few threads on the end of the bolt to help the clearance with the other side of the tunnel.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hugh:

I did basically as you outline, but with one change. I tapped the shift lever itself. With the weld/braze bulking up the lever at the location of the stud, I feel the threads will hold well. We'll see. Anyway, this narrows down the entire assy as I only need the locknut on the far side. I used 10mm bolt as the Vernier measured the stock stud at 10mm at the head outside the circlip groove.

Many thanks for the suggestion. It _was_ fun doing it on my own and the slop is now sub-10mm at the top of the lever. Nice change in the vehicle-operator interface for sure.

Also, put on some new belts, got the Cup 2 wheels on and the car aligned by a very good shop in town. Drives very nicely now. Tomorrow, I will re-install the driver's side door panel (redyed and cleaned), fix one power window connection (solder) and the door brake.

Thanks to all that helped!

Neil Deshpande
Old 01-03-2004, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Good show Neil. I found and used two conical washers on each side of the link and did a bit of preload without putting too much friction into the fore and aft movement.

Didn't have the tap but do have a 4.5" grinder and the fasteners.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hugh:

Thanks! I have the benefit of a decent machine shop at work, though in another Deptt. So, I used an 8.7mm drill and drill press with the 10mm tap. In addition, I used the press to start off the tap. I spun the drill press up with the tap in it, cut power and lowered the tap into the drilled hole in the lever using the press. The tap dug in and the friction stopped the press rotation with, perhaps, 1-2 threads cut. But, I had my right-angle start! The rest was done by hand. While I spent quite some time, more than $30 worth, thinking about how to do it, the pleasure was also worth more than $30!

In addition, I cleaned and lubed (with white lithium grease) the nylon cup and ball at the base of the lever. Not sure how much that helped, but it appears to have become a bit easier to pivot around. At any rate, it did not hurt.

Next step is to follow another Lister's advice and shorten up the throws on the shift via threaded/adjustable linkages. But, the door stuff first.

Neil Deshpande
Old 01-03-2004, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
I don't think any play develops at the "shifter bushing", the one on my 86 turbo w/216k miles is also in good shape.
Ahmet <--also running a custom lever.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by FR Wilk
Still tight? Not many guys your age can say that. Doh!

Of Course!

Stays that way if you don't use it....

Old 01-04-2004, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: