Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Maybe a stupid question, but ........

This may sound like a stupid question, but I just replaced my front wiper motor ( pre 85 944na ) with one from a local parts store. It was definately a rebuilt motor.

Well it works, but it takes 1.5 seconds per half revolution. In other words 1.5 seconds from bottom of winshield to top of winshield. 3.0 seconds per cycle.

This seems a little slow to me, but when I bought the 944 it didn't work, and we don't get much rain here in Calif.

Is maybe my intermittent wiper relay bad ?

Any thoughts or ideas ????

Thanks
Don

Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 12-06-2003, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

may be a teeny bit slow, but not too much. (I'm trying to time that in my head as I'm not in the car ) probably not a problem with the delay switch. the delay does not affect the time it takes for the wiper to move from bottom to top and back. rather, it controls the delay for the duration of one cycle. also, try your hi-speed setting to see how fast that goes
Old 12-06-2003, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Do you have two speeds? Or just one?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-06-2003, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Do you have two speeds? Or just one?
I'm not sure.

It's the 84/85 style. It does have a multiple position arm.
It is OFF in either the "all the way down" or "one up ".
thats why I think the delay may have something to do with it.

I just cant believe that I would be able to see in a medium downpour.

I jiggled the relays etc...

Don
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 12-06-2003, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
So you do not have two speeds. All the way up should be the fast speed. Just below that the slow speed then below that OFF. Pulling the arm down from the OFF possition should be intermintent.

I would suspect the column switch/arm as this is what selects the speeds. Then I've had problems with the dang relay also.

Another point of resistence is the piviots for the wiper arms. A good soaking with your favorite lube spray will help. If not they need to be taken apart and cleaned.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver

Another point of resistence is the piviots for the wiper arms. A good soaking with your favorite lube spray will help. If not they need to be taken apart and cleaned.
I think that may be the key to it.
I have no idea how long they were sitting there unused and inoperative. Maybe some tri-flow or WD-40 may be the trick.
I will try tomorrow.
If they are binding up, I am risking burning out the new motor.

Thanks again.

Don
Old 12-06-2003, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Easy to remove the entire assembly compared to a later model.

Don't crack the windshield.

Old 12-06-2003, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: