Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Z-Max w/ lincite in a 944na ?????

I used to have a Ford Ranger. Tricked out and lifted etc... witha snorkel for the intake on the roof. Anyway, I put in that Z-Max oil additive and it did wonders.

So, I wonder if it is safe to put in my 85(-) 944na ??

Has anyone used it in theirs ????

Thanks
Don

Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 12-08-2003, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Mother Juvat says "thou shalt not put additives of any kind in thine, or thine neighbors, oil".

These engines where built to rather close tolerances and it just mucks up the thing.

Good ol Castrol GTX (tops when the car was designed) or
Mobil 1 (tops today)
Old 12-08-2003, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to perfecto951
I remember hearing about Z-max being sued because it did nothing, or actualy decreased performance and longevity.

oh, here it is.....

"A perfect example of why AMSOIL discourages use of aftermarket additives is the Federal Trade Commission's (FTC) recent lawsuit against zMax auto additives, seeking to halt false and misleading advertising and gain refunds for customers who purchased the products. According to the FTC, the enhanced performance benefits zMax claims its products provide are totally unsubstantiated, and in the same tests cited to support performance claims, motor oil treated with zMax actually produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil by itself. They further allege that the three different zMax products- an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive- are nothing more than tinted mineral oil."
Old 12-08-2003, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thats VERY Interesting........

Well, I remember seeing some sort of benefit. I used to drive that thing 3500 miles a month & Offroad it like crazy ( i.e. put it in 3 feet of thick mud ). I would do an oil change every 2 months and it seemed that it improoved somewhat.

If it's just mineral oil then it probably just losens the gunk.

Thanks for the info Perfecto951... I just didn't want to waste the $$ to find it harmfull to the alluminum stuff.

Don
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 12-08-2003, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

The only safe additive is Molybdenum Disulfide. People who run air-cooled engines swear by the stuff and it has proven to lower oil temps in racing VW Bugs and the like.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 12-08-2003, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AaronM
The only safe additive is Molybdenum Disulfide. People who run air-cooled engines swear by the stuff and it has proven to lower oil temps in racing VW Bugs and the like.

Aaron
My Grandfather used to use that stuff on big huge steel fabricated pieces that had slim tollerances. That was eons ago @ Bethlehem steel. Later in life he gave some to me for some sort of problem.

white powder stuff, similar to Graphite but slicker than Owl ****..
Old 12-08-2003, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by Don 944 LA
My Grandfather used to use that stuff on big huge steel fabricated pieces that had slim tollerances. That was eons ago @ Bethlehem steel. Later in life he gave some to me for some sort of problem.

white powder stuff, similar to Graphite but slicker than Owl ****..
It's really good stuff, and pretty much the only additive that does something good. I like the "Mr. Moly" brand.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 12-09-2003, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
LOL great icon! bouncey bouncey bouncey! that could amuse me for hours....

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: