Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Max Speed / Redline

_ Hey, I was wondering how fast the924 really is. Recently I have tried to hit max rpm in the lower gears to see what the car can do and have really been surprised. I did not do it (the speed limit was too low) but I think I can get well beyond 70MPH in second gear without redlining. That makes me wonder what can be done in third and fourth. What is the fastest someone has done on a track?

_ Do our cars come with K&N airboxes and filters stock?

If it ain't broken, drive it until something is.

Have you spent quality time with your Engine Gnome lately?

Defend Your Joy
Old 12-08-2003, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

The cars do not come with K&N airboxes or filters stock. No car does. The cars came with Porsche (or Audi in the case of the original 924) airboxes with Mahle filters.

Redline in 5th for my car would be about 120 mph, but someone futzed with my transaxle at some point. I'm spinning 4,000 RPM at 80 mph.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 12-08-2003, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
My old 79' 924 did 110 mph Top Speed.... maybe 115 mph MAX on a slight decline..... for a sustained 25-30 minutes easily..

The car just hits a wall in 5th gear. NO POWER.

...on the other hand I hit 100mph in 3rd in my Turbo in no time.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws

Last edited by ae1969; 12-08-2003 at 01:59 PM..
Old 12-08-2003, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

! Again, I have not done it, so I can't say for 'sure,' but I am reasonably positive that I can push 100 in third. How do you tell from the VIN what market your car was intended for? Could mine be a euro model? When I bought it there was some confusion.

Aaron, your 'S' tops at one twenty? Where can you legally go out and find out what your car's max speed really is? I am getting rather intregued.

Defend Your Joy
Old 12-08-2003, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

the 924 feels very peppy in third. I remember thinking it should go faster ... considering the speedometer was so optimistic.

The car just doesn't have it in the top end.....

Make sure the wind is with you.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to perfecto951
anyone know the max speed of a 951? I remember hearing 153mph - but i think that might have been a factory number.

(sorry it's so OT)
Old 12-08-2003, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

No, this thread can be open to other cars too. AE, I hit 70 on an onramp in third and the car sat again when I shifted into fourth. I know 70 is a lot less than 120, but there were still several thousand of 'the car's best' on the tach too.

Defend Your Joy
Old 12-08-2003, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

here is some numbers for you.....

http://www.weissach.net/924-944-968_RoadTestSummary.html#924

Oh I just realized .... you have an 77' you have 4 gears..... That would explain why when I shifted into 5th, it lost all of its ooooomph. I would imagine the 4 speed is better suited for the early 924.

I still remember the car feeling much more comfortable as it picked up speed. Stability increased with speed. Nice feature in these cars.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by perfecto951
anyone know the max speed of a 951? I remember hearing 153mph - but i think that might have been a factory number.

(sorry it's so OT)
Interesting question,because depending you read,there are different numbers...
My manual says 153 mph...in other sites you can see 157.....I attained 155 (according to the speedometer) and still need to brake the thing because the road ended...The only thing for sure,everyone says,is how easily max speed is achieved even with the car stock
Old 12-08-2003, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Just did 115-120 the other day

I just hit 115-120 mph on the 5 freeway between Orange County Calif & SanDiego last week.

I have a Magellan Map 410 GPS that is very accurate on the speed.

I also Have a Radar Detector ( A Must ).

BTW.. Speedo is broke, so I don't know what It would have read.

I also did not notice what the Tach was reading, but it was still smooth as can be.
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 12-08-2003, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Don, you are about *THIS* close to incurring the wrath of Zoltan.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 12-08-2003, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hmm, I meant for this to be an above-board post. Hence my question about places to open up legally. I will say, I am not sure if the ride gets smoother as the speed goes up, but it sure stays in control a lot longer then most of the other cars I have driven. That is a cool website. I think my car is stamped with a higher weight than that though.

My speedo is right on. It takes exactly one minute to go one mile by the odo and the mileposts when traveling at 60MpH

Defend Your Joy
Old 12-08-2003, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by Pike
Aaron, your 'S' tops at one twenty? Where can you legally go out and find out what your car's max speed really is? I am getting rather intregued.
I just extrapolated. Published for the 924S is 134 I think. And someone shortened the gearing in my transmission before I bought the car. Car turns 3,000 RPM at 60 mph and 4,000 RPM at 80 mph. That's 20 mph for every 1,000 RPM. Being conservative and saying that redline is 6,000 RPM, that gives me a gearing-limited top speed of about 120 mph. Since the gearing limit in my car is less than the published top speed, I know the car can hit that speed without being aerodynamically limited.

ZV
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 12-08-2003, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
ive gotten mine up to 140mph and it seemed it had a little more to go but only a tad. and every police radar that ive gone by while in the city says the same as my speedo. but is there any place but a salt flat where you can just mash on the gas until you cant go any faster? without any turns?

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AaronM
I just extrapolated. Published for the 924S is 134 I think. And someone shortened the gearing in my transmission before I bought the car. Car turns 3,000 RPM at 60 mph and 4,000 RPM at 80 mph. That's 20 mph for every 1,000 RPM. Being conservative and saying that redline is 6,000 RPM, that gives me a gearing-limited top speed of about 120 mph. Since the gearing limit in my car is less than the published top speed, I know the car can hit that speed without being aerodynamically limited.

ZV
you would need to figure in the powerband of the engine. hp per revolution makes a difference. with no drag you could probably go a bit faster than 120
Old 12-10-2003, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPants
you would need to figure in the powerband of the engine. hp per revolution makes a difference. with no drag you could probably go a bit faster than 120
Not if my engine is redlining at 120. I have no desire to swallow a valve, thanks.

For a fixed gear ratio, engine RPM has a linear relationship with transaxle output shaft rotation speed. And speed is linear in relation to transaxle output shaft speed. So for a fixed gear ratio, engine RPM has a linear relationship with road speed (neglecting the insignificant effects of tire compression/expansion as the car's aerodynamics affect downforce).

Aaron

Last edited by AaronM; 12-10-2003 at 03:19 PM..
Old 12-10-2003, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AaronM
For a fixed gear ratio, engine RPM has a linear relationship with transaxle output shaft rotation speed. And speed is linear in relation to transaxle output shaft speed. So for a fixed gear ratio, engine RPM has a linear relationship with road speed (neglecting the insignificant effects of tire compression/expansion as the car's aerodynamics affect downforce).

Aaron
power does not have a linear relationship with engine revolutions. for example, neglecting drag, if you put out 10 'units' of 'power' at 3000 rpm's which can propel you to say, 100 mph, but only put out 11 units at 6000 rpm's you wont necessarily be going twice as fast.
watch your tach as you accelerate, it and the speedometer dont move at the same rate
Old 12-10-2003, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

As far as places to open them up,
There is a new 7 mile 4 lane bypass within 1/2 mile from where I live. (Only rural roads now) It is scheduled to open in Spring 04'.
Everything finished except the actual paving on the connecting intersections. You can access it via a certain farm road. Straight for 3 miles, then a long sweeping curve and straight for another 3 miles.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPants
power does not have a linear relationship with engine revolutions. for example, neglecting drag, if you put out 10 'units' of 'power' at 3000 rpm's which can propel you to say, 100 mph, but only put out 11 units at 6000 rpm's you wont necessarily be going twice as fast.
watch your tach as you accelerate, it and the speedometer dont move at the same rate
Speed is regulated ONLY by the RPM of the transaxle output shafts! The relationship between the rate of change of engine RPM and the rate of change of speed is ALWAYS LINEAR FOR A GIVEN GEAR RATIO.

The ONLY effect that the power curve of an engine has on top speed is that it limits an engine's ability to reach higher RPM in a given gear.

When in gear, the engine is POSITIVELY LOCKED INTO A FIXED RPM RATIO WITH THE TRANSAXLE OUTPUT SHAFTS. The RPM of the wheels (which is the RPM of the transaxle output shafts) is POSITIVELY LOCKED INTO A FIXED RATIO WITH LINEAR VEHICLE VELOCITY.

A FIXED RATIO MULTIPLIED BY A FIXED RATIO IS A FIXED RATIO.

If engine A has 150 HP at 6,000 RPM and engine B has 99,000 HP at 6,000 RPM, BOTH ENGINES WILL PROPEL THE CAR AT EXACTLY THE SAME SPEED FOR A GIVEN GEAR RATIO ASSUMING THAT 150 HP IS SUFFICIENT TO REACH 6,000 RPM IN THAT GEAR.

This is 9th grade physics people. I'm simply amazed.

Aaron
Old 12-10-2003, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ds475
70 in 2nd? i know i can't do that. is the 924 that much different from the 944?

Old 12-10-2003, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: