Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Buying my first 944 :-D

Hey guys!

Well, the time is finally here. I've spent a lot of time looking for a 944 and things just never worked out--until now. I've been working full time to fund it and things are coming into place. A good friend of mine who owns a 944 moved to Central America (Utila, Honduras, to be exact) and decided she needs to sell her 944 so she can buy a truck in Honduras. Now, I've been acquainted (sp?) with this particular 944 for.....7 years now I think. Her dad is a complete Porsche fanatic and never missed a beat on maintence since he bought the car new in 86. Having deep pockets also helped in the up-keep. The particulars:

1986 944
Blue on beige/black leather
5spd
new transaxle, new tranny, new R&P two years ago
motor re-built two years ago
whole lot of new everything
KONIs out front
stock shocks out back
roll bar and fire ext.
Lexan rear window
new tires
I can get a second set of phone dials with track-only race tires for $400(!!!). Tires are new (dad bought em for the track before they moved, now they just want the second set out of the garage for when the house sells.)
107K on the chassis, not a lot on the rebuilt motor and new tranny/transaxle
1 owner car

...But now for the bad parts...

Paint isn't so great. It waxes up decently enough, but oxidises pretty quick (few months). However, my boss paints on the side so that's not a huge deal.
Missing a few exterior trim pieces around the hatch and passenger door. No leaks.
A number of years ago it was in a minor frontal impact and he had the front end re-done (no frame damage, just panels). They aren't aligned exact, and if you look real close you can see the gap on the hood is larger on the passenger side.
Minor power steering leak
I have to wait a few more days to pick it up

So hey...the time is finally coming. I'm so excited I can barely sleep. I drove it on Saturday and it ruled. It did everything just how it was supposed to. Shifted great, handled awesome (not that I really tested that or anything...::innocent: brakes like I think it should, and just all around ruled. Man, I felt like I scored with the hottest girl in school and got it on tape. I had the biggest stupidest smile on my face for the rest of the night.

Taking it for a final spin on Wensday, and if I wasn't diluted the first time, we're writing the check. I can't wait...

Her dad said the timing belt should be done decently soon though, so I'm thinking I'm going to do it within the first week. Anyone have a guess on how much a shop will or charge, or hey, if anyone is in the Chicago area and wants to stop by for Pizza and drinks and a timing belt party, drop me an email.

Man, 944s RULE. So do you guys, thanks for everything!! I'll get some pics for you guys when I take delivery.

:-D

Old 12-08-2003, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
What a deal!

Might want to replace that lexan hatch with a glass one. A bit less noisy.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-08-2003, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to 85944na Send a message via AIM to 85944na
you can probably adjust the hood so the gaps match.

Early 85 G-red 944na, S2 transmission, Ice Shark grounds, Cibie E-Code lights, turbo rear valance, 924S gauges, Turbo S full power seats, "Porsche" door handles, Enkei Wheels.
95 Infiniti G20 dark red metallic-for sale soon
87 BMW 325ic Bronzit, stock(for now)
Old 12-09-2003, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
Re: Buying my first 944 :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowToady
Her dad said the timing belt should be done decently soon though, so I'm thinking I'm going to do it within the first week. Anyone have a guess on how much a shop will or charge
It all depends on where you live, Chicago might not be all that bad, just need to call around. NO one works on 944s in Louisville, I would suggest getting the water-pump looked at too while your in there, unless it's been replaced fairly recently? I'd imagine it was replaced with the rebuild. The cheapest I could get belts/waterpump done around here for was $1800 + parts, which is ridiculous, and it shouldn't be that bad...so I did it myself. The only down side is, I don't have the $500 Porsche tensioning tool...
Old 12-09-2003, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
...or you can tension by touch

i had enough confidence to do so when i had to take my belt off to change the head gasket

but i guess some arent willing to take the "risk" even though what i did works fine

good luck with your new 944
996 GT3 4 Liter - Basalt Black - gone
Old 12-09-2003, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
A new belt tensioned too tight is better than an old belt about to break.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Well, just took Herbie for another ride tonight. Got a brake light out (driver side, the one where it says PORSCHE on back), and the D.S. head light linkage is a bit loose; nothing major. Can't beat it for the price.

Should be picking it up in a few days, so I'm pretty excited

Can you rent a timing belt tool from anywhere (preferably, pelican) or do I have to buy it? I don't want to take it to a shop.

So yea, overall, the car is solid. It's got a little quirk here and there but nothing that would prevent me from buying it.

Figure I'll leave the Lexan hatch in, saves weight:-D Noise doesn't really bother me much (the 944 is a lot quiter than the 5.9L V6 Turbo Diesel RAM 2500 I almost bought). And yes, the water pump was replaced; damn near everything was.

Well, hey, good stuff. Thanks for everything guys
Old 12-11-2003, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
If the water pump was recently replaced then most likely the belts were too. See if the PO has the reciept for the work. If not then I would replace the belts as a precaution. Get the KriKet tool from your local AutoZone or PepBoys or Kragans.

Check out these web sites for some good info on doing it.

www.clarks-garage.com

www.frwilk.com

Old 12-11-2003, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: