Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Porsche Crest winter-time oddness?

I broke my timing belt about a month ago, and after two weeks of my car being in the shop (and $1900) I finally have her back. They replaced the timing belt, valves, hoses, etc.

This is also my first winter with my '83 944, so i have some seasonal paranoia.

I'm wondering if it just takes awhile for my car to warm up or if there is a problem. She starts up fine and idles alright... maybe tiny bit rough. But once it's warmed up, runs perfectly. If I don't let it warm up enough, i get an odd sound coming from behind the steering wheel. It sounds like it's in the heater/vents or something. It's kindof a clickity sound -- not like metal on metal clickity, but more like a vent of some kind. After a mile or so, it goes away.

Any thoughts?

Old 12-08-2003, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Wear ear plugs for the first mile or so....
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 12-09-2003, 02:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Actually Bryan I have a similar thing, mine is the clutch when cold, it chatters a bit when its in for the first mile or so then, once the metal bits get warm and expand, the friction ceases and the noise goes away.

As you seem fairly new to 944 ownership you may not have heard of the two most important things to remember:

1. Every 944 makes a unique 'strange noise' most of which cause extreme worry but in many cases are nothing to worry about at all. - don't beleive me? do a search for '944 noise' or 'strange noise' on this forum and prepare for a lengthy read!

2. Every time you repair the one thing that is not working, something else will go within ten miles or so. Some people refer to this as interference from the 944 gods!

to be serious, I don't know what your noise could be and have discovered that it is very difficult to identify a fault from a description of a noise because if you don't know what you're listening to, how can you describe it?

If you know the part thats making the noise, you can describe it easily, but you will no longer need to post it up here because you have identified the fault

Catch 22? no, catch 944!

Don't worry buddy, on the whole these cars are fairly bullet proof, just make sure the belts are changed regularly!!!

You did very well to get a bill for $1900 too, there are peole on this board who have paid more than $4k to repair broken timing belt damage!

Old 12-09-2003, 02:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

I've never had a car that didn't have one or two noises that were unique to it, just takes some acclimation to the car for you to get used to them. My 924S tends to like having a few minutes to warm up also, used to have some stumbling in the cold if I didn't let her warm up, but after I changed the distributor cap/rotor, plug wires, and spark plugs that stopped and she's better about really cold starts.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 12-09-2003, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Thank you guys for the reassurance. I've only had her for about 7 months, so everything i hear makes me nervous.

We just got 3 inches of snow last night, so i'm gonna dig out and see how she handles on ice. I'm going to put about 3 bags of sand in the back to see if that helps out.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

She should be very good in the snow. I had no problems driving around Pittsburgh on a day when the university was closed from too much snow.

Aaron
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 12-09-2003, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
watch that tail!!!!

Old 12-09-2003, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

behind the steering wheel? dentures loose?
Old 12-09-2003, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
You should hear the noises these cars make at -20.

Heater fan hums, power windows may decide not to work, microswitches on locks become uhmmmmm peculiar, entire chassis creaks and rattles worse than a 77 dodge volare.....
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 12-09-2003, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
my miles per gallon reads about 20 mpg when started in the winter and idles a little rough, after about a minute it creaps up to 30 mpg at idle and runs fine...

My car was terrible on the ice we had this weekend, not bad in the snow though.

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 12-09-2003, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by UconnTim97
my miles per gallon reads about 20 mpg when started in the winter and idles a little rough, after about a minute it creaps up to 30 mpg at idle and runs fine...

My car was terrible on the ice we had this weekend, not bad in the snow though.
At idle, sitting still, read the little grey numbers on the guage, _not_ the white numbers. The grey numbers give a gallons per hour measure. Ar warmed-up engine tends to be around 0.5 gallons per hour at idle.

And no car is good on ice without studded tires or chains.

Aaron
Old 12-09-2003, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by UconnTim97
lol. I actually didn't catch that earlier. yep, Aaron. no matter how well your engine is running. at idle, the mpg always 0
Old 12-09-2003, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
yes, I do know how to read the guage, it is just easier to refer to it in mpg...lol

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944

Last edited by UconnTim97; 12-09-2003 at 07:22 PM..
Old 12-09-2003, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ds475
is it bad to drive immediately after starting, and try to be as modest about the rpm's as possible? does it matter if i let it warm up before i drive it?

the engine does sound quite weird when very cold.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

most modern engines do not need much warming up. to the contrary, there is no benefit from prolonged idling and it can actually do more harm to your motor, as the increased time it will take to warm up the engine will increase emissions, causing sludge and varnish to build up in the oil. this will also cause an increase in engine oil acids which will tend to ocorrode engine parts. not a good thing. you were right with your assumption that you should wait until you have sufficient oil pressure and then drive off gently until the oil reaches full op-temp
Old 12-10-2003, 02:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
The Porsche manual for mine recommends (as I beleive Audi did at the time) that you start and drive off straight away but do not exceed 3.5k rpm until temp guage reaches first line. The lotus I also drive comes with the exact same recommendations.

Obviously when the inside of the car has iced up (like mine every flippin' morning) you have to idle while it clears, this does wonders for whipping up a nice early morning oil milkshake mmmm...

Personally, I would not drive my 944 in the ice unless I really had to.

Putting weight in the boot is a really good idea to get more traction from the rear wheels. Sadly you steer with the fronts which now have less traction because the back is weighed down.

944s have even weight distribution, mess with that and you might as well ice skate to work (like satan will the day I sell my 944).

Putting sand bags in the front of a beetle to get more weight over the fronts I understand. Upsetting the balance of one of the most finely balanced cars on the road I do not!

Old 12-10-2003, 02:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by flangermog

Putting weight in the boot is a really good idea to get more traction from the rear wheels. Sadly you steer with the fronts which now have less traction because the back is weighed down.
naaah, the traction on the front will stay the same while the traction on the rear will increase. you're not taking away weight from the front, you're simply adding more to the rear. now of course, like you say, that still won't help your steering any
Old 12-10-2003, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Maybe mines knackered then....

Old 12-10-2003, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

it'll definitely feel different!
Old 12-10-2003, 02:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

btw: Mario's quote. truer words were never spoken!

Old 12-10-2003, 02:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: