Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question “Spraying” Oil

Hi, and thank you for taking the time to try to help me!

I own an ‘87 924S. Recently, my timing belt fail leading to the infamous “Bended Valve” situation, the cylinder head was send to be rebuild and machined, the shop checked the surface and informed me that the surface was straight and in good condition. The original gaskets were replaced with the “turbo” set and place carefully. The car was running great until last Friday when I noticed smog coming out of the engine (Not a pleasant sight) I checked the engine immediately and noticed and oil leak (More of a geyser) right underneath the third bolt (From front to back) that holds the cam tower in place I tightened the bolts to try to stop the leak and It partially did, there was still a leak but a slow one. Saturday I checked again and discover that now I had another leak in the same place but this time in the cylinder head (A very discouraging discovery). I fear for my engine, any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paulo

Last edited by Happy Clown; 12-09-2003 at 05:41 AM..
Old 12-09-2003, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Bad torque on head bolts. Turbo gasket on a 944na?

Help me out here SoCal! I am thinking the gasket is wrong and the tech never properly set the sequencing and torque.

I would take it back to the shop to fix correctly. Sman
Old 12-09-2003, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I would get it towed to the place that did the work ASAP!
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 12-09-2003, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
What? Oh.

Heard of using a turbo gasket. Not sure of the differences in a NA to turbo head.

If there is an oil leak it's not between the head and the block, it's between the head and the cam assembly. Could be the cover on the back end or the round seal between the head and the cam assembly.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-09-2003, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
... both the NA and turbo use the same gasket.... passages are the same.

Cam housing leaks are definitely common. Sad that it occurred so quickly since the fix. I think you are going to have to clean the area very carefully and really take a good look at where this leak is comming from......

When you tightened the cam housing bolts ? were they loose? did you torque them back to the right spec or did you over tighten them to stop the leak?
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 12-09-2003, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The bolts were initially set to specified torque, they were not loose but it was easy to tighten them (about ¼ turn) should I replace the cam house gasket?
Old 12-09-2003, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
How long has it been since the work was done ? If its recent I would assume that you could take it back to them....

I would take it apart and swap out the gasket.... its a $5 dollar part (if thats what it is). This requires undoing the timing belt which means you will need it retensioned......and if it has been 2000 miles since they last had the car it would be a good time to have that done as well.

The gasket is very thin and can easily be damaged during install. I can't imagine that they gave you back a cracked head, but I have seen crazier things.

You really have to take a good look, these cars love springing up leaks from the strangest places.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 12-09-2003, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Geysers

There is one part number for 944/944T head gaskets, the same one is used on both cars. ae1969 is right, clean the engine well, then run the engine at high idle to produce the leak. If it's the head, all the gaskets will be replaced anyway. If it's only the carrier, it's highly possible that the gasket was damaged, overtorqued or installed with additional sealant----a big NO-NO. It's also possible that all the old gasket was not cleaned off, or that the carrier wasn't torqued from the inside-out. I've also had warped carriers. Bottom line is, be sure of the leak before doing anything, then go find the guy who did the work and drill him.

Old 12-10-2003, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: