Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to ds475
Braking hard - front right slip

when braking hard, whether it be wet/dry conditions or on a loose gravel patch on the road, my front right always slips and i don't think i've ever had my other 3 slip but a few times before. always the lone front right is a slippin.

why is this? my friend said his old pos nissan truck used to do that.

Old 12-09-2003, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You mean the wheel locks up. What shape are the rotors in? Really worn? Or one has been replaced recently?

How thick are the pads? Do both right and left wheels have the same wear on their pads?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-09-2003, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
might even be susspension related
Old 12-10-2003, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

I had the exact same trouble regularly occur with my race car. Every 3,000 miles or so the right front would lock and pull. Made no difference wet or shine. I looked for all the usual suspects, faulty caliper, corrosion, weeping seals, glazing, dodgy discs, air in the line / system. The only cure was to get a new set of brake pads for both fronts. Dressing the old pads (no sign of glazing or oil contamination) just wouldn't fix it. Totally bizarre.

Try all the above - it might be the answer to your problems. If you suspect the pads after checking the usual stuff - try swapping them over to the opposite sides temporarily to see if the pull still exists. If it does (assuming rotors / calipers / seals / air bled properly etc. etc. isn't the problem) it may well be that, as Speedy suggests, the suspension is at fault. My guess would be control arm bushings / loose bolts causing the load on braking to be disproportionally placed onto that corner. Loose fittings here allow the wheel to 'turn' that little bit extra due to the extra movement available to it - hence the pull to that side. Could be a weak spring / faulty damper too - causing her to 'kneel down' harder on that side. I've had this happen too so it's not as remote as it might sound.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."

Last edited by Dark Skies; 12-10-2003 at 06:54 AM..
Old 12-10-2003, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

Oh, and it could be that the right isn't locking up but, rather, the left isn't pulling it's weight - try bleeding the system / examining seals etc etc. on the left brake too before spending any money.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 12-10-2003, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Skies
Oh, and it could be that the right isn't locking up but, rather, the left isn't pulling it's weight - try bleeding the system / examining seals etc etc. on the left brake too before spending any money.
I agree with Dark: the problem could very well be on the left side: so if you don't see anything wrong on the right after careful inspection, turn your attention to the left side.

Definately bleed the brakes.

If all looks fine, your brake bias valve may be clogged or defective.

HTH,
-Z.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 12-10-2003, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
the bias valve only reduces pressure to the rear brakes. has nothing to do with the front brakes.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by speedy007
the bias valve only reduces pressure to the rear brakes. has nothing to do with the front brakes.
Under optimal conditions, this is true. BUT: a defective bias valve can yield unpredictable results.

Also: it may feel that the front of the car is slipping, but the problem could be in the back nonetheless.

Oh, and I'm just going on a hunch about the bias valve.....

-Z.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 12-11-2003, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: