Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
least common denominator

944 Clutch adjustment?

My 1984 944 5-speed has a hydraulic clutch that I though was self adjusting. However my Dad drove the car and feels it needs to be adjusted so it engages closer to the floor (although he drives only American cars). I know there is some small adjustment to the pedal but I bought the car about six months ago so I don't know what is normal clutch travel for this car. It engages at about the last third of the travel (two thirds up from the floor). Not knowing any better I presumed that is normal. So who is right me or Pop?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2001, 12:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You should be ok, and yes it's self adjusting. It just uses more fluid when the disc gets worn. Mine is a bit closer to the floor than your on the enguage point but I just installed it at the beginning of the summer. First off what year do you have? Second do you know when the clutch was last replaced? How many miles on your 944?
Old 08-17-2001, 04:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have an '84 and my pedal grabs very high also. But, i know my clutch has only about 10-15% left on it.

Mike
Old 08-17-2001, 06:28 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Mine engages pretty high in its travel too, with about 38,000 miles on the clutch. It really bugged me at first, and I tried to adjust it by shortening the pushrod, but this messes up the geometry of that over-center helper-spring linkage, and it felt even worse/more unnatural.

I just decided to get used to it...and now it feels perfectly normal.
Old 08-17-2001, 07:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Adjust your pushrod travel on the back side of the clutch pedal, and then secondly, adjust the (for the lack of a better term) spring assist on the front side of the pedal, a 944 should have almost NO pedal slack.

AFJuvat
Old 08-17-2001, 07:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thats what I am wondering as well, is he talking about slack or enguagement point?
Old 08-17-2001, 08:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Thats what I am wondering as well, is he talking about slack or enguagement point?
I was wondering about the engagement point. In old American cars (like my Dad is familiar with)the clutch was adjusted so that it engaged just off the floor. My Porsche is the exact opposite, that is it engages towards the end of the travel.
I have no clutch slip and 140K miles on the car and now that I have driven the car a few months it dosn't bother me

Thanks for your input
Old 08-18-2001, 07:41 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Old 08-18-2001, 07:41 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: