Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to neildeshpande
<944> Leaking Power Steering?

Gruppe:

I am losing power steering fluid. Losses are high when the reservoir is full, but slow down when the reservoir drops in level. I've tried to place mats under the car to tell where it is coming from, but it appears to drip from a transverse line, more or less along the rack.

Just 15 mins ago, I finished a comprehensive degrease of the underside of the car, removing several years' of gunk. What a great feeling to see all that aluminium shine through! I'll be watching for leaks every few days.

However, if there are some 'usual suspects', I'd appreciate a listing so my search space is reduced.

Thanks!

Neil Deshpande
Old 01-04-2004, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The small tubing going from boot to boot is just to ballance the air pressure between the two sides. If ATV is leaking from it or that area then you need to reseal the rack.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 01-04-2004, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Let's go shooting.

The leak can often be very deceptive though as it often runs down from the central pipe to the reservoir. In my case the rubber had gone manky and was leaking at the top of the pipe. You'll probably find the sway bar rubber beneath it has gone too as the ATF buggers it up (goes soft and useless).

Note how I resisted making a lewd comment at that latter part. I must be getting all mature and stuff since I married.

1991 944 (automatic) 2.7 litre 16 valve na and pas

"I have only five words for you: From my cold, dead hands."
Old 01-04-2004, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Other common leaks:

The return line that runs from the top of the rack to the lower tube on the tranny oil cooler

Pressure line from pump to rack

Return line (which encompasses the cooler and the line up to the reservoir.

Pull your boots off of the rack a little bit - if fluid comes spilling out, it is your rack that is leaking.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 01-04-2004, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
I had the same problem with my 924S. when you get a chance have some one look under the car while you turn the wheel lock to lock. My bet is that your rack is leaking into the boots because the seals are bad in the steering rack or your rods instide the steering rack are rusted and not sealing right. In any case if this is true you will see fluid squirt from the boots. You will have to have you steering rack resealed or get a rebuilt one. I found that new racks are alot of $$$$
Old 01-05-2004, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: