Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to neildeshpande
<944> Seltec AC Compressor Kit?

Gruppe:

My AC compressor has gone south and I would like to replace it with the Seltec compressor and adaptor kit. This kit is quite a bit cheaper than the OE compressor and, supposedly, uses newer technology, etc. In any event, for my car, I am considered in a cheap and good option.

My concerns are:
1. Does it really fit?
2. Do I need to have new ends blunt-crimped to the hoses?

Anyone with experience would greatly assist me by sharing their impressions/comments. Thanks!

Neil Deshpande
Old 01-23-2004, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
When you say newer technology, do you mean R134A, or a rotary compressor?

What is the price?
I have this feeling that the reason my AC doesn't work is the compressor kicked the bucket, so I am looking into what it may cost me as well.

Buy my parts!
Old 01-23-2004, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Zero10:

I meant the compressor. I guess things have moved ahead since they made the OE compressor in 1986. The cost is about $250 for the compressor and $80 for the adaptor kit.

Neil Deshpande
Old 01-24-2004, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sorry, I phrased my question wrong.
I meant, is the compressor specifically designed for r134A?
And, is it a rotary compressor?

$250 is pretty cheap, the best I found was $325.

Buy my parts!
Old 01-24-2004, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Zero10:

Good questions. I am not sure about either. I will inquire.

Neil Deshpande
Old 01-24-2004, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Just a bit of background info. The factory 944 AC compressor will handle the pressure of a r134A system. So, odds are any compressor built to factory spec will also take the pressure.

I have only ever seen one rotary compressor. I don't know how they work though. I figuired if you got one, maybe you could tell me =)

Buy my parts!
Old 01-24-2004, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Zero10:

Do the pressure switches handle the R-134a pressures? When I converted the BMW, I had to get different pressure switches from a later car that came with factory R-134a and then charge the system to 80% fo the R-12 weight to keep it all kosher. Is there a similar later switch for the 87 944?

As it happens, I think I may know how rotary compressors work from engg school. Picture an off-center (eccentric) rotor turning in the shell of the compresor.

Now picture radial fins implanted on this rotor, say, 30 deg apart and as long as the length of the compressor. These fins are spring-loaded and can go further into the rotor as they move to that part of the rotational position when the off-center rotor is closer to the shell. As they move in and out the space sandwhiched between the rotor, two fins and the outer shell changes from small to large. Small where the rotor is closest to the shell and large where it is furthest away.

The refrigerant to be compressed enters at via port on the side where the rotor is furhter away from the shell and leaves where it is closest. The change in volume is compression.

This is kind of like a Wankel engine, but the fins do the job of the complex shape of the rotor and stator in the Wankel engine. Quite neat!

Neil Deshpande
Old 01-25-2004, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
rotary compressor huh? hmmm.... turning an rx7s engine into my ac compressor would be a quite powerful ac compressor hehe

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hi Neil -

I replaced my leaking a/c compressor with a Seltec. It fit just fine and is very smooth. I had heard that even when new the a/c compressors on 944's weren't the smoothest and quietest in the world, but the Seltec seems very smooth.

In the process I also switched to R134a. Therefore I also replaced the drier (very easy). The compressor will work with either R-12 or R134a, but you tell them in advance which you are doing I believe because the oil is different.

I did have to get ends crimped to the new hoses. What I did was mount the new compressor and drier, get everything as set as I could, then took it to an a/c shop to crimp the necessary connectors and charge the system with R134a. This last process was much more expensive than I thought it would be.... Make sure they tell you in advance exactly what it will cost.

But it's been almost a year now and it still blows very cool
No regrets on the Seltec or switching to R134a.

Good luck!

Grant
1989 944S2
Old 01-26-2004, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I replaced mine with a sanden rotory compressor.Nice fit cheep
Only problem was I had to use a bigger belt.It also uses less HP.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

gac/sixbanger:

Where did you get your kits from? How much did they cost? I have found a place in FL that sells reconditioned Denso's for around $200. The Seltec option I found was $235 and then $76 for the adaptor kit. At this point, I'm leaning towards the reconditioned Denso.

Neil Deshpande
Old 01-26-2004, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The NIPS are no good.They don't last and cost is a issue when buying a compressor.Seem for what they are they are worth theit weight in gold.
I think it cane from VERTEX AUTO.
I bought a few other things as to do this only once.
All total around $588 with shipping. No core required.
Others-seals hoses dryer evap belt (adaptor kit.)Kit I think comes with compressor
Both R12 and 134 compatable
Comes filled with oil
I think this is the best buy.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Neil, very good info, that's pretty much how I had it in my head, I didn't think it would be that tauroid shape the rotors are, but rather something with more fins.

As far as I know the pressure switches will work. I think the only one in there is a low pressure switch, so it will get warm before the switch shuts the system off, but it won't get low enough to harm the system before it is shut off.

sixbanger, I must say, you really confused me with your post.
the NIPS are no good, that makes sense, but when you say that they don't last, then cost is an issue, but then they are worth their weight in gold, you really confused me.
Did you get the NIPS from vertex auto, and if so, then why say it is the best buy if it does not last?
Well, I don't even know what the NIPS is, so perhaps I just said something really stupid =)
Or, were you referring to the sanden rotary compressor, when you said it's worth it's weight in gold?

I think the Seltec is one of the best buys.
But the rotary compressors to spark my interest, and they claim higher effeciency, and longer life, but I must say I am skeptical. sixbanger, how long ago did you buy yours, and how easy was it to install, and how is it holding up?

Buy my parts!
Old 01-27-2004, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Sorry for the confusion.

All I ment was that the nip.(nippondenso) after being rebuilt don't seem to last.So if you you put one of these rebuilt compressors on and it blows the seal then you have lost the money invested up to this point.
How ever if you go say with the NEW Sanden compressor then you stand a better chance for a long life for the compressor and the time and money you spent both buying it and the money you spend having it installed will have been well spent.

I only put it on about six months ago but you see I sleep better at night knowing I won't be buying another compressor anytime soon.

More horse power.It takes less to run it sending that power to the rear wheels instead.
Only one small detail need be addressed with the Sanden and that is the bracket on the engine that holds the compressor has to have the hole drilled out bigger to get the new bolt to slide through to bolt it up. Hope this helps. the Sanden compressor alone was pretty cheep.I think anyway.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Neal -

This is where I got my Seltec kit from:
http://www.iceac.com
Honestly I don't remember what I paid...

I had seen them advertise in Panorama. I was debating between them and Griffiths (www.griffiths.com) and chose Iceac because they were a bit cheaper. Before I purchased the compressor, they were very helpful with my questions. I have to say however that after the purchase when I called twice with questions, although they answered them they weren't exactly enthusiastic about it.

If I had to do it all again I would probably pay the extra and go with Griffiths. They are really the Porsche a/c experts and have an impeccable reputation. But mine does work great now so I really can't complain.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Sixbanger:

How do you know the Densos don't last? My friend of mine, who turned me on to these guys in FL, got one 2 yrs ago and it is working well so far. Just looking for more data. The drop-in w/o having to have ends crimped appeals to me as it will cut down seriously on the labour charges at the AC place. Almost enough to pay for another $200 compressor, I think!

Neil Deshpande
Old 01-27-2004, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I did a search on this site on A/C and after reading everything I could find I next went out on the web, asked questions at events.
I think the clutch came with the compressor so no cost there.
When I got the box and opened it I knew I made the right choice

The choice is yours now..
Old 01-28-2004, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

where is this place in FL I need a denso too this is a 2nd time its going out on me.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Deplorable Member

Garage
There are a number of "complete" 134a conversion kits floating around out there that include the compressor, fittings, hose, etc. Prices vary from about $450 to over $700.

My original one just took a dump (seals went bad) so I just got a remanufactured Nip/Den for $150. I don't think they're all THAT bad and they're a relatively easy thing to replace if it goes bad (an afternoon job). I just like having original stuff, although there's nothing wrong with the Sandens if they make you happy and you're okay with non-original stuff.

I'll let you know the web sites for the 134a kits (I'm eventually going to convert over but just want working a/c for now) and how my reman holds up.

Rubber side down!

Black Cars Matter
Old 02-10-2004, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

For what it's worth. You don't need a 134A kit. The factory compressor will take the additional pressure. Just make sure the correct oil is used.
Most of the aftermarket compressors will take it as well.

Buy my parts!
Old 02-10-2004, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: