Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post how much would bbs rims like these

cost me used?

http://members.rennlist.com/jmitro/BBSwheel.jpg

Old 09-26-2001, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Those are BBS RS wheels. Can't see the size and that will affect price. They are forged, which is good but not exactly on the light side - I have some 17 x 9.5 that weigh 23 lbs. Also they have the gold center which not everyone likes.

New would cost about $580 a piece 10 years ago so depending on condition maybe $1000 +/- for the set. I have seen sets sold for $1200.
Old 09-26-2001, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
newb.

Whoa, Shark - are you sure those are RS's you have? I've NEVER seen them in 17" (they stopped with that line a while ago) and my 16x9.5 weighs ~18lbs...

The 3pc. RS's (which is what I've run) are slightly lighter than phone dials (which are light, but soft).

------------------
keith
'86 951 redNeckarsulm
Old 09-26-2001, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
newb.

BTW - I generally see them ~ $700-$900 a set.

------------------
keith
'86 951 redNeckarsulm
Old 09-26-2001, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yup, they are RS #258; 17 x 9.5; 52.0mm offset, silver center. BBS America told me they weighed 23 lbs, but 5 lbs for that extra 1" seems like an awful lot over your 16"s, doesn't it? I have never had the tires off and remembered to weigh them to make sure. Guess I could call Bridgestone and get tire weight and weigh the complete tire and back into it.

Bought them back in '91 and as you note they have long since been discontinued although they still have the individual parts if you bend a rim half too bad.

As far as price, I haven't really looked long and hard but saw several 17" trading around 1000 to 1200 within the last few years. Condition would certainly make a difference because cleaning the spokes is a PITA which could lead to a lot of brake dust damage if not kept up. Plus normal road damage from careless or unlucky drivers.
Old 09-26-2001, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I saw those on ebay once, and the guy could hardly give them away. I know a guy here in Kansas City that has a set for sale. I was going to buy them for $300 for the set, but got something else. Look up directory assistance and ask for:
JP Werks in Merriam Kansas
Just tell that guy there you heard he had a set around and you were interested. He probably has them still. They are just sitting with all of the other spare stuff he has.
Old 09-26-2001, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

hey i got the exact same set on my car. and i always get comments on how cool they look on a 944. I bought the car used with them on and i always wondered how much they were new.. and what they might go for nowadays. And yeah they are a ***** to clean.. some of those individual bolts around the rim on mine are starting to corrode and i'm not sure how to clean .. replace? anyway.. if anyone knows a cheap way to clean/ refinish ? these let me know....

oh my first post btw. i LOVE this forum wish i'd found it earlier

Old 09-26-2001, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: