Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post How much would you pay?

How much would you pay for a 86 951? Red with black interior and phone dials. Interior is perfect. Exterior is perfect, no dents/scratches. Paint is not as good. Its faded in spots and is scratched on the rain gutter edge and gas door edge. It has a crack/hole the size of a quarter in the lower part of the left tailight. The drivers side mirror is gone(the glass, not the actuall assembly). It has brand new tires. Here is the best part: it has 34,000 miles.

I have called the guy but he has not spoken to me yet, he left a message. This was all from my visual inspection. I have no idea if anything has been replaced or needs to be fixed. What should I look for on a car that has such low mileage?

------------------
Tom
92 VW Corrado (not for long)
looking for a 944t

Old 09-27-2001, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
verify the mileage. the costliest regular maintenance items are timing belt/water pump (about $850) and clutch (about $1200).

Old 09-27-2001, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bob's944
Even with the low miles all the rubber in the car should be looked at including hoses, belts and engine seals. As long as the PO knew how to shift right, that clutch should be ok, but you should have a look to be sure. Too bad it was in the sun enuf to make the paint fade... sounds like a sweet car.
Old 09-27-2001, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

There is a Porsche specialty garage near me, I will have them look the whole thing over before I buy it. I just want to gauge how much I should be paying for it.

I have the VIN, does anyone have Carfax?

WPOAAO9550N153597
Old 09-27-2001, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I bought mine, '86 951, about 4 years ago had 54,000 miles then 68 now, Perfect white leather inside , perfect dash, body and paint perfect, always garage kept. He ask 10.5K and I wrote a check on the spot. I would not take my money back. Sometimes you can get a real deal but Excellence Mag says the turbos are going up in value. I didn't want this car to get away so I bought it. You will have to have paint and a couple things it sounds. Paint and a mirror will cost a couple grand. If I was looking for a 951 right now and would have to paint it and put on a mirror I would give 8 for sure for one with 34,000 miles assuming the car is ok with other things. But this is just my opinion. Get it as cheap as you can maybe offer 6 and see if he will go for it.
Old 09-27-2001, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up

A year ago I paid 8500ea for 2 separate red/black 86 951 cars. One had 59k the other had 69k. The first was near perfect, the second had features I liked. If you can get around that price, I would think it would be good. Maybe you can talk him/her down because of the paint, and bluebook prices. Assume the belts are original. get some quotes for changing them out. My 59k car had original belts on it.
Good luck,
Hope you get it.
DanD
http://members.rennlist.org/dan10101
Old 09-27-2001, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

His asking price is $9000. I dont think the car is worth that much personally. I think I will offer $6500 and see if he goes for it. I will probably even pay $7000, but ill see how $6500 goes first. With a paint job, new left tailight and drivers side mirror, this car will be like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

Old 09-28-2001, 01:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: