Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question XM/Sirius Satellite Radio

Does anyone have satellite radio in their P-cars (or other cars for that matter)? What do you think? Any issues with the install? I believe there have been some issues around the antenna install in Boxsters.

I'm considering it for the 944 and wanted to get some feedback first. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
If you get the Delphi package for XM, you get the little orange receiver, which sends the audio to your existing deck via a small FM transmitter. The advantage of the Delphi unit is that you can take it out and put it in their little boom box setup... like on that one commercial, where the guy drives his car all the way up to his office.

They also have the Roady package... http://www.xmradio.com/roady, which has a tape adapter. A guy I work with has the Delphi unit in his Semi Truck and loves it. I don't have it myself.

edit: moved comma outside of link.

Last edited by bryanthompson; 02-01-2004 at 10:55 AM..
Old 02-01-2004, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
I said orange, but I meant the silver thing with orange display. http://www.xmradio.com/skyfi/
Old 02-01-2004, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I haven't bought anything yet, but I'm leaning toward Sirus. Is Sirus going to survive or go bankrupt? I cheked out the Roady kit but I want one without any exposed wiring? Excluding the Roady package, are they a PITA to install?
65 CSX 427 Roadster

Last edited by gt350mike; 02-01-2004 at 10:48 AM..
Old 02-01-2004, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by gt350mike
BTW, I tried the Roady package link, but I didn't have any luck.
just take out the comma.

Old 02-01-2004, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackfoot
just take out the comma.

2015 GLK (Momma's ride)
2016 F-250
2001 BMW M5
65 CSX 427 Roadster
Old 02-01-2004, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
I'm off the hook.....

Do a search on the 911 board for XM. There was an EXTENSIVE thread there just a coupe of weeks ago. I have both.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have an XM system on my 944. I'm running a Pioneer CD player with the Pioneer hidden XM tuner pack. The hardest part of installing it is running the wires, since the 944 is put together so tightly on the inside.

I put the antenna on the roof of the car, centered, between the sunroof and rear glass, and just ran the wire in through the hatch. Concealing the wire down to the tuner box is where you'll run into trouble, as all the panels have vinyl that's glued to the body.

I couldn't really comment on whether or not Sirius will stay. They were a little late in their launch compared to XM. Sirius is also $2 more a month, and don't seem to have the brand following that XM has(Pioneer, Sony, Alpine, Delphi, GM).
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 02-02-2004, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to SillyGirl
I have the same Pioneer cd and Pioneer XM receiver under the passenger seat. My antenna is also on the roof, centered.

The Good Guys put it in easily. It was the front speakers they had trouble with, but eventually fixed.

I love my XM - can't recommend it highly enough.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I've got the Alpine setup in my car with a 1000watt amp and 6X9's in boxes that I remove for DE & auto-X. The doors have 5X7's and the entire XM receiver and amp is located in a custom rack below the carpet in the right rear well. I had the XM antenna mounted in the middle of the dash (glued down) and still have great reception. The only time the XM doesn't pickup the signal is when I'm under a structure that has alot of steel in it. Interstate overpasses, some gas stations and whenever the car is on the rack at the shop. No big deal though! My wife thought I got really stupid for spending the $ for XM, but now she wants it in the car. Oh, wants the XM in the car, what did you all think?
Old 02-03-2004, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Sirius, while costing a couple bucks more, is 100% commercial free, whereas (unless things ave changed) most XM stations have some commercials, albeit not nearly as often as regular radio. Just food for thought.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by rammstein
Sirius, while costing a couple bucks more, is 100% commercial free, whereas (unless things ave changed) most XM stations have some commercials, albeit not nearly as often as regular radio. Just food for thought.
Apparently XM went totally commercial free as of yesterday. They are also adding traffic report stations for most major US cities on March 1st.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: