Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post headlight motors keep running

Has anyone had this happen? I have a 87 Turbo and I shut the headlights off and they kept opening and closing and would not shut off. I turned off car and left parking lights on after trying several times to turn off headlights. I came back 30 minutes later and shut off 2 times and they finnaly stopped. I could hear relay clicking under dash as they were opening and closing has anyone else had this happen?

Old 09-28-2001, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

sounds like you have a bad motor relay (located on the headlight motor)

they are about $5 to replace

As a warning though, at the garage where I get some of my work done, there is a 86 944 (now a parts car) that caught on fire due to a bad/shorted headlight motor.

If I were you, until I could get it fixed, I would disconnect the power cable to the motor and open them manually.

AFJuvat
Old 09-28-2001, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the fast reply you said the relay was on the motor. I am hearing a relay click under dash on drivers side every time it opens and closes what does this relay do? Any idea? You mentioned manually is there a screw on the headlights to open manually?
Old 09-28-2001, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The manual screw is on top of the headlight motor (it is probably covered by a rubber boot) it can be a bit of a pain in the ass to raise and lower them all the time - you might want to just leave them up till you get it fixed

As far as I know, the only relay is located on the side of the motor under yet another rubber boot - will have a wire coming out of it though.(I may be wrong about there only being the one relay, check your fuse/relay diagrams) You can either pull the relay or disconnect the power cable.

The relay is a VW/Audi part - you may want to call around and see where you can it for the least amount of money.

Best of Luck
AFJuvat
Old 09-28-2001, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Same happened to my 944S - its the headlight relay. Pull it out, tap it, clean the contacts and you should be good to go.

Erick
Old 09-29-2001, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
until it was taken care of, i had the same problem on my first 951. i learned that i could time it and turn them off at a certain part of the up/down cycle. took a couple of tries. i also had the clicking sound from the dash.

Old 09-29-2001, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: