Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Driver

Garage
Sick car

1st post, heve lurked a bit & learned much.

Hello all,

I'll give the story as complete as I can:

I took my 1987 944na into the shop about 5 days ago and had the oil pressure sender and the fuel filter replaced (all parts are OEM).

When I got the car it was running fine. In fact I noticed some smoothing out at higher RPMs that I attributed to the new fuel filter. Also the oil pressure gauge no longer jumped around, indicating the sender was working properly.

I drove the car for a few days after that and had it up on a lift to have a tech check something out. The tech did nothing to the car, it was just a visual inspection. After that I drove the car until last night, when it was parked until about 10:00 am today. It was about 3 degrees last night, but it has been that way for a few nights now.

Upon turning the key, the car started, idled very low and died when I took my foot off of the gas. After I get the car running for a few minutes (by keeping my foot on the gas) it will stay running, but at a very low idle seemingly very near stalling.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 02-01-2004, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
well, try revving it a few times until the idle raises... it could be that the extreme cold is messing with the fuel system. when it was -20 a few weeks ago here in CT, my car would start rough and stumble, and then run fine after I gave it some gas and let it warm up

now that the temps are up near 35F, the car has no trouble

welcome to the board
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 02-01-2004, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TNT25169
Could be the fuel pump....
Old 02-01-2004, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
yeah, it could be... but the extreme cold temp keeps jumping out at me
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 02-02-2004, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah. Cold! Got down to the low 50's here early this morning. Had to turn on the wall heater.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-02-2004, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
update

Took it to work this morning. Same problem on start up, got it idling (again seemingly near stall).

When I worked the accelerator (gently) to rev the engine I got some sputtering between 2K & 3K RPM.

Halfway through a right hand turn I lost power, which then came back with a surge, after that no problems. Started it about 4 hours later, same thing.

I took it back to the guy that installed the fuel filter to insure there are no leaks. It seems to me that the problem is one of pressure not supply, which is why I am thinking/hoping it isn't the pump.

Waiting for the mechanics call, I appreciate the input.

GHEN
Old 02-02-2004, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Writer/Teacher

Garage
haha, must be nice, SoCal. It is near 40 here in CT today, which feels like paradise. Time to wash the 944 (it needs it!).

it sounds like you have some kind of fuel delivery problem, Ghen. Maybe run some fuel injector cleaner? It might be something more serious, but one should always try the easy/cheap stuff first!
Old 02-02-2004, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Mine did that stuff at 2.7F a week or two ago. I dumped a bottle of Gunk's equivalent to DryGas in (they ran out of DryGas...) and voila, no more troubles. I've driven it a few times at as low as ~5F without the stumbling, not 2.7F yet, however.

Might give that a try.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: