Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Exclamation Finally decided on rims

I fianlly decided on what rims to order and from where (unless someone knows where I can get them cheaper). I am ordering the Mille Miglia Cup 3 rims from Tire Rack. They look identical to the 1 piece 993 turbo rims. I can only afford 2 until next pay check so i'm getting 2 17"x9"s for the rear. Next week i'll order 2 17"x7.5"s for the front. They guaranteed that they will fit perfectly and they even come with the Porsche center caps! I realioze i'll have to go with a lower profile tire but...I really love 'em!
Price:$539.99-shipping included.

Steve (1989 944na)

Old 09-25-2001, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mideastmafia
they have downfalls to factory rims tho..

HEAVY as hell and they bend EASILY..

be carefull cause the first pothole you go over will give you some bend.

SHAUN
Old 09-25-2001, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I got the mille miglia cup 2 wheels from tire rack 5 months ago, and they didn't come with center caps. I had to go to hershey to get them. All together, with tires (sumitomo HTRZ II) and shipping, I ended up paying a shade under $1500, and another $40 for center caps. The center caps off of phone dials, flat dish wheels, and design 90's all fit the newer design porsche wheels (I think...mine were off of phone dials). Why don't you just wait until you get enough green to buy all 4? Are you getting tires with them too? I suggest cheap japanese or korean tires (kumhos seem to be well liked, and my sumitomos kick ass in the rain) unless you are serious into racing/autocrossing, in which case you might want to get premium rubber. Let us know when you get them, and take some pictures.

------------------
ribs, 86' 951
Old 09-25-2001, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by mideastmafia:

SHAUN
According to tire rack, they weighed 20.5 or 21 lbs front and 22 lbs rear (don't remember exactly), which is a pound or so heavier than the factory wheels (the C2's anyways), and I have hit many a ferrocious pothole, but with my 225/45 17 and 255/40 17 tires, I haven't had any kind of trouble with them bending. The only thing that ever bent one of my wheels is when my friend drove my car backwards through a guardrail at 20 MPH.

------------------
ribs, 86' 951
Old 09-25-2001, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

ribs,

The guy I spoke with at Tire Rack this evening assured me that my rims will come with brand new Porsche center caps. I guess i'll see when they get here, huh. What size rims did you get and what size tires did you put on yours?

Steve (1989 944na)
Old 09-25-2001, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
newb.

My 993 cup reps (Mille Miglia) are H E A V Y (anything over 20# is heavy) and soft. Every rim has been bent driving around Charlotte, NC. I can tell a difference from the drivers seat between the BBS RS and the 993 replicas. Hell, I can tell a difference between the phones and the replicas...

I was actually curious about the BBS RK. Light, light, light, and ~300 each...

------------------
keith
'86 951 redNeckarsulm
Old 09-26-2001, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Are you guys serious about these bent rims?? Are they getting bent from just regular driving use?
Old 09-26-2001, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

They are serious. When you get down to 40 or lower profile and hit a sharp pothole or curb most alloys will bend because you either went cheap and wound up with a soft crappy alloy or went expensive very light and fairly fragile.

Heck, TireRack is on a kick to make wheels a standard replacement item like tires due to the stresses they undergo. And there is some truth to it.
Old 09-26-2001, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

How about the Twisty looking ones off of the boxter? are they fairly durable?
Old 09-26-2001, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

So, do you have personal experience with these rims or are you just wasting our time again. My neighbor is running the Mille Cup wheels and has NEVER had a problem.
Quote:
Originally posted by mideastmafia:

SHAUN
Old 09-26-2001, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mideastmafia
Javier, whats up your ass?

SHAUN
Old 09-26-2001, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
first, let's just chill.

for id purposes, here are the replica wheels that are being discussed:

993 replicas, commonly known as "turbo twists". pretty heavy.

cup replicas (cup one). lightest of the replicas.

c2 replicas. heavy, maybe the heaviest.

i believe all three of these common replicas are manufactured by mille miglia. i owned the 17" cup ones on my first 951 and had no problem with bending. could tell they were a bit soft, compared to my current fuchs.

general price on these three replica rims are a little over $1100/set.

Old 09-26-2001, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Would realy like to see a set of the twists on a turbo. Post some pics somebody, please.
Old 09-26-2001, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Rollins Send a message via AIM to Rollins
KC - I don't have a picture of a 951 with the turbo twist wheels, however I have seen one in person. Personally I think those wheels look a little out of place on the 944/951. They don't flow with the lines of the car well. They aren't BAD, just not right. The C2's look REALLY good I think. There are quite a few members here with them.
Old 09-26-2001, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Old 09-26-2001, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Old 09-26-2001, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
i agree that that turbo twists look a little out of place but personally i think they look better than the C2. No offence to anyone on this board who has them but i really dont like them. I think the factory wheels look better than the C2.
Old 09-26-2001, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

My 17" C2's from Tirerack were a lb or two heavier than the stock 993 cups and did not bend.

There are some crappy replicas out there and I believe that is what Shaun is referring to. They are frequently sold over Ebay I believe.

As for weight, the tires are what can really make the difference. A lot of the time the more expensive tires can actually save you a couple lbs per wheel.

Erick
Old 09-27-2001, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I, too, have the Mille Miglia "993 style" replicas from Tire Rack. Never had a problem with bending.

As for weight, they are slightly heavier than the stock alloys--at front, each wheel/tire was about 4 lb. heavier; at rear, about 5 lb. heavier. This may seem to be a lot, but keep in mind that I went up in both width and diameter, and the extra metal in a Plus One setup weighs a lot more than the material saved in a shorter sidewall.

Stock: 16 x 7 w/205s, 16 x 8 w/225s
Mille Miglia's: 17 x 7.5 w/225s,
17 x 9 w/245s

Also, original tires were at a lighter 1/2 tread depth; tires on new wheels (Potenza S-03s) were brand new.

I'd recommend these wheels and the friendly, helpful people at The Tire Rack any day.

[This message has been edited by dk944s2 (edited 09-29-2001).]

Old 09-29-2001, 11:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: