Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Custom User Title

California or Toronto ?

I plan on buying a 944 this spring. I also have a trip (almost) planed to California at the end of April. From the small amount of reseach I have done, it apparently isnt too difficult to get a car from the US into Canada. The question is, is it worth it to get a California car and bring it back to Toronto.

The primary reason for getting a southern car and bringing it north is rust or the lack there of in California. Given the galvanized body are there any other reasons why I should consider this?

The big down side that I see is the drive back, Im sure it would be fun, but its a long way for a drive in a "new to me" nearly 20 year old car.

Any opinions?

Dave Larocque
Old 02-02-2004, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I would have the California car inspected first. Repair any little thing and replace the timing and balance belts before driving it north.

Only rust I've seen on 944's is when a body repair was not done proper.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-02-2004, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Well then I'll be the first for you =P
Mine is rusting all around the wheel wells.
No damage to the wheel wells.
And underneath the doors.

Buy my parts!
Old 02-02-2004, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Whaddup man..you're from toronto?

I live in Mississauga
Old 02-02-2004, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Then yours has had some damaged that was repaired improperly.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-02-2004, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
They do rust if they have been pelted by rocks for an extended period of time....

My canadian NA car did not have any rust when I decided to re-spray 2 years ago.... but I have had the car forever and have babied it.

The U.S turbo (california) I imported has rust. It has rust that ate through the sheet metal at the factory jacking point (jack must have scraped up the sheet metal) and wheel wells as Zero mentions.....

Importing the car is simple. The only dilemna you will have is how you will get it home.
1. You can't get a canadian plate issued because the car is in the U.S and must be inspected here before a plate is issued.
2. Insurance will not insure a non-canadian car (this can vary check with your insurance company)

So how do you get it home..... Use a shipping company... Searail

3. U.S customs needs information before letting the car out of the U.S. Who is buying,selling.... how much was payed (so canadian customs can tax you)......etc.. They usually must be notified ahead of time where you plan to cross the border at...

I ended up using a transport carrier (they organize the paperwork). They delivered it to a shipping yard near Edmonton. Then you take the paperwork to a customs office in your city... You will pay gst/ and a/c tax etc.... then insure it.... take the paper work to have it registered they will give you a temporary out of province piece of paper you slap on your window (car is allowed to be driven to inspection facility) and then finally the car gets inspected.... and then you get your plates.................

The nice thing is that you can indefinitely have the car parked in your garage if you like..... without having it inspected (if its 15 years old and older). So I ended up doing work on the car over a couple of weeks to insure the car would pass the inspection (brakes,tie rods)..... All it is is an out of province inspection....... not as intense as a Salvage inspection...

I am sure I missed a couple of steps along the way...

I would do it again in a heart beat.....and I am going to go back for a 911 turbo next.

The selection is great in California.......
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 02-02-2004, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
The selection does seem best out in Cali. You can find good southern rust-free cars a little closer than Cali if you want to come to the southeastern US, like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh. Even Miami is closer than So Cal. I saw a beautiful red 951 that a guy in Memphis has, something like 70k original miles. I think it was a one-owner car. Found it on autotrader.com.

Definitely get a pre-buy inspection done, even with a low mileage car. I wouldn't set sail back to Toronto without one.
LSD
2002 Yamaha FZ1

Last edited by TorqueTube; 02-02-2004 at 12:53 PM..
Old 02-02-2004, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Thanks for the replies,

California is attractive because my sister in law is currently living there. I plan on going down for about 10 days. The plan is to arrage everything before hand (PPI,insurance, plates etc.) and have it subject to a final personal inspection. From what I understand I can drive it back with the california plate and get a temp one once I get back. Before I would attempt to drive it back to TO I would have to have something signed in blood that the timing belt was changed very recently. Anyone in the LA area willing to do a cursory inspection of a car if I find a nice one?

Zlatki, I live in the beaches but I work in Mississauga.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Smile

Dave, have you located a car already in California ? If you pin all your hopes on one car and the inspection falls short, you may have to start from scratch looking again unless you line up several to look at.

IMHO 10 days is rushing it, take your time and find the nicest one you can afford. There are advantages to buying form the South but there are alot of nice cars in Canada as well, albeit with higher $$$. Most guys store the cars in winter and as a result the milage of most of the cars is lower and you will also find that most canadian cars will have near perfect dashes.

To help your search, you can ask on this forum or on rennlist.com if anyone is in the process of selling their car. Most guys on these forums are knowledgable about the cars and in most cases most of the ??? work has been addressed.

With the CA$ being so competitive these days I'm even tempted to take a look as well :^).

FYI I grew up in the Beaches and lived in Mississauga for 10 years, now residing in Markham.

Mark
'86 944NA
Old 02-02-2004, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Custom User Title

The plan is far from perfect and to be honest I think it is more of an idea than a plan. I have just haven't seen a nice 944 in the GTA worth seriously considering. I will wait until spring, hopefully there will be a better selection then.

Dave
Old 02-03-2004, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Keep an eye on the PCAUCR Web Site. Sometimes they post some good deals, most of the cars are in pretty good condition.

http://www.pcaucr.org/pcaucr/discussion.nsf/Classified

Mark
'86 944NA
'99 BMW 540i Sport Wagon
Old 02-03-2004, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
Check out the RECYCLER in Calif. MANY, MANY cars available. Problem is that you dont know who you are buying from..
NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 02-04-2004, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

1)CA is not really the south. by that i mean that being near the ocean can be as corrosive as being in a winter climate. but as SoCal mentioned rust is not really a big issue on later Porsches.
2)keep in mind that people in warm weather climates are able to drive their cars all year round whereas more 944's in canada are probably garage queens. however, CA probably has a bigger selection of Porsches so you may still be able to find a lower mileage 944 out there.
3)i dont know how the taxes work in CA. i think you just have to pay sales tax in the place that you title it, right?
4)good luck! let us know how it turns out
Old 02-04-2004, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
If you title the car elsewhere, you are taxed according to the jurisdiction you are titling in..
And,
In southern calif, we dont use Salt on the roads.. That is the real killer.. Not so much as ocean sea salt. We rarely see rust out here in 924's or 944's.
NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 02-04-2004, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: