Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

CV Joint Question

If a CV joint is "clicking" can you just regrease the joint or does it need to be replaced?

1983 944

Thanks
Old 02-02-2004, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ds475
i think clicking means they have to be replaced, but my friend said you can flip 'em around and put 'em back in and the clicking will stop. can anyone verify this?
Old 02-02-2004, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
If you do, you're on borrowed time from what I hear.

Buy my parts!
Old 02-02-2004, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
I had one clicking, so while I was doing something else back there I took it off and inspected it... I posted on this before, but here's what mine was:

So, i'll be replacing both joints on that axle. Someone suggested buying a whole new axle, but I think two new joints should do it.
Anyway, that one was clicking, and it had chipped places... yours might be the same.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Will work for parts

Send a message via AIM to 944 boy
For the most part a whole new axle is cheeper. I was going to just get one CV but now i have two brand new CV's and a replacement if one from the other side starts to make noise. I got a whole axle plus hardware for 166.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes you can reverse them. It puts the force on the oppisite side and it could solve your problem. If the damage is visable I would go ahead and replace the CV joint.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Conclusion

Well, I have replaced the left rear axel with a donor from a late model 944 I bought from ebay for $50.00. The PO of the axel said there were only 53K miles on the car when it was wrecked. I re-greased the joints and installed it over the weekend.

I will pull apart the axel I removed and inspect and replace the CV joints and boots with new ones. I'll then install this axel on the right hand side.

I find that having the extra axel helped because I am not pressured to remove, repair and replace all on the weekend. I can now remove and reinstall then take my time to repair the broken part. I have done this with several repairs on the car.

I did this with my power steering rack by purchasing a used one then having mine sent out for repair.

It takes a few extra dollars and extra time to do the repair, but I know that by not rushing the repair, it will be done correctly and having the pleasure of doing the repair myself saves much more money than the extra cost of buying spare parts.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
I just ordered the right rear axle with CVs from Pelican with the 17mm tranny plug tool.. total $205. Should take care of my prooblem. Good luck with your CVs
Old 02-03-2004, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I just replaced a half-shaft on mine today. Early '85 n/a. Paid $79.50 for rebuilt unit and $63.50 labor to my regular mechanic to replace it.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: