Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Driver

Garage
Oil Pressure Relief Valve

OK, can somewhat tell me where this thing is? I mean I need CLEAR directions!

Also info I what I need to do to remove it (once I find it) how difficult it is etc. would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

GHEN
Old 02-04-2004, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Standing at the front of the car looking at the engine.

Under the oil filter on the left.

Behind the oil pressure sender.

Item 36.

New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-04-2004, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Thank you Hugh!

A couple of follow up questions if you don't mind:

1. Can I access t from the top or the bottom?

2. What do I need to remove to get to it?

3. Do I simply unscrew it and screw in the other, replace any oil lost, and I'm done; or is it more involved than that?

Thanks again,

GHEN
Old 02-05-2004, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Also, is it worthwhile to try and clean it before I buy a new one, or is that not feasible?
Old 02-05-2004, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
The real question is why do you want to change it?

But to answer your others:

Access is only from the bottom.

Either a 17 mm or 19 mm hex head. Unscrews nomally.

Should replace the O-ring if you think there is any oil pressure problems.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If you are experiencing low oil pressure readings without any other low pressure symptom:
Check item #41 in the drawing, the oil pressure sending unit. I replaced the relief valve on my N/A and found no change in the guage reading, changed the sending unit and magically the pressure registered on the guage as normal. I have heard that a switch in lubricants can throw the sending unit into a low reading reaction.
98 C-4 Sons
86 Gold 944 Auto - Sons
84 Maroon 944 Auto - salvaged
78 Yellow 924 - found a new home
Old 02-05-2004, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Have plenty of oil, but showing low pressure once the car gets up to operating temperature.

Appreciate the help
Old 02-05-2004, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
What is low oil pressure?
Old 02-05-2004, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
I'll give the whole story:

I was experiencing some starting / stallings problems, so I added some gumout fuel system cleaner and some heet to my fuel tank. At the same time I added some 4 cylinder formula engine restorer to my engine oil (recommended by a friend). This is a thick blue liquid.

I took the car out to get everything moving through the system when I noticed a huge cloud of blue smoke belch from my muffler. Concurrent with that I saw my oil pressure drop to 1.5 bar while driving. My car has never blown smoke before, and the oil pressure sender is about a week old and working perfectly before this.

I pulled over and checked the underside expecting to see major oil leakage...nope . I drove the car home (at times smoking heavily) along with oil pressure between 1.5 & 2.5 bar.

I checked the oil when I got home and it is full.

I was hoping that the blue cloud was the the fuel systen cleaner degunking something and it was getting burned up, but that is probably wishful thinking. Now I am thinking it was that blue gunk and something has gone wrong.

With low pressure and no significant leaking, I am thinking it may be the OPRV.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
BTW,

Driving the car it feels strong and sounds smooth. Although there is still some smoking.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Drain the oil and replace with fresh. Use a new filter too. You just might have to change the oil a few times to clear the system.

Stay away from 'Mechanics In A Can' solutions to your engine/performance problems. A quality injector cleaner is OK but NOT the thick oil additives. ATF is sometimes used as a cleaning additive right before an oil change -- mostly for noisy lifters.

Most performance problems with the 944 are DME in nature. That is the electronic fuel injection system and it's supporting electricals and vacuum manifold.

There is a structured testing plan to go through so you don't check something twice.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Check your coolant tank for oil. If so cooler seal kit is needed. Sman
Old 02-05-2004, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: